Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
101 - 120 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
07 GT500
274 Posts
67 was the last Mustang Shelby really made. After that, it was all Ford. The 07-14 GT500s had the Shelby name, but were all Ford. Mr. Shelby’s involvement with the program was honorary. Claiming X is a “real Shelby” and Y is not is a silly argument at best. If it was christened a “Shelby” by its makers, it’s a gosh darn Shelby! :eek:

No identity crisis whatsoever. Ford set out to build the best Mustang to date… a car that kicked ass on the street, strip and track. The 2020+ GT500 delivers! It’s a Super Muscle Car! 🤟🤟
There are not many cars Carroll turned wrenches on back in the day. Mostly he worked on the GT40. After that his company built all of those cars. but Carroll didnt turn the wrenches on many if any. He just ran the company. As for the the 07/08 and 09 those were Carroll's design. He worked at Ford to develop these cars. I saw him at his 85 birthday party in Las Vegas and he was sick at the time but he did come out and sign a couple things for us but he had to go before the line ended. This was in 08. Carroll passed in 2012. Its always been a contest as to whether the GT500 was a real Shelby or is it the GT350. They did however send the GT350 to Carroll shop in Vegas to do there thing to them. Those were post title cars which meant that you bought your car and sent it to SAI and they did there thing. So those are the real Shelby's? Then people sent there cars post title to Vegas for the Super Snake again real Shelby's? Only thing I can tell you for sure that Carroll Shelby had a hands on with the GT40 and the Cobra A/C Bristol cars.
After 09 I am not sure Carroll had nuch to do with the car because it takes a few years to develop a new car and he was in failing health at the time the 10 came out. Now Ford has a license agreement with SAI to use the name Shelby. They didn't get the license to use the Tiffany snake so they had to change it. Not sure Ford can use the Cobra name as well. Not sure if SAI still has the copyright on those things. After a while those expire if you don't renew them.
My car is in the official registry but it's been a while since the made the book. I guess I need to call and see if they did a current print.
I did send my air bag cover for Carroll to sign and at the same time I ordered the dash plaque that Carrol also signed. I believe you can still get the dash plaque but it's auto pen.
Is my car a real Shelby? In my mind it is but I only have 2 brain cells and they chase eacth other around hoping to find more
Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering part Vehicle Grey
Automotive parking light Grille Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
35,467 Posts
As for the the 07/08 and 09 those were Carroll's design. He worked at Ford to develop these cars.
So, you are saying that the 07 GT500 was Carroll Shelby’s design and not an SVT design…?

·
Registered
07 GT500
274 Posts
Yes he worked with SVT. carroll worked closely with Ford in the development of these cars.
For the most part SVT doesn't exist anymore. There used to be a network of SVT dealers but they are gone as well. I am not sure if your engine plate says SVT on them anymore along with the engine builders names. Ford can put SVT on there if they want. I am not sure what Ford calls there Special Vehicles Team anymore. I just know they dropped the SVT moniker just before the 07's hit the dealers. I don't know if the Raptor has the SVT name plat on the truck anymore.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
35,467 Posts
Yes he worked with SVT. carroll worked closely with Ford in the development of these cars.
For the most part SVT doesn't exist anymore. There used to be a network of SVT dealers but they are gone as well. I am not sure if your engine plate says SVT on them anymore along with the engine builders names. Ford can put SVT on there if they want. I am not sure what Ford calls there Special Vehicles Team anymore. I just know they dropped the SVT moniker just before the 07's hit the dealers. I don't know if the Raptor has the SVT name plat on the truck anymore.
The impression I got was the 07-14 GT500 was 100% a Ford SVT designed, built and tested product. They brought in Mr. Shelby for his stamp of approval once they had a car. Of course he liked it.

It’s romantic to think Carroll Shelby designed the 07 GT500, but this simply isn’t the case from my understanding. Owners will claim that the 20XX is the “last year Mr. Shelby had a hand in building. In reality, the 1967 GT500 was the last one he had a hand in building.

Ford SVT was responsible for the Mustang Cobras 93-04 and the Shelby GT500 from 07-14. Afterwards, SVT was morphed into Ford Performance. The 2015+ Shelby GT350 and the 2020+ Shelby GT500 are Ford Performance products.

@69bossnine might have additional insight.

Reactions: 03kbredfire

·
Registered
2014, GT500, PP & TP, Cortex suspension
195 Posts
Nurburgring lap times as of 2021
2020 GT500 - 7:01
2020 C8 - 7:29.09
2013 GT500 - 7:39.28
2012 Z06 - 7:22.68

So what happened? The C8 was 7 years newer than the '13 GT500 and only 10 sec faster. The C8 was 7 sec slower than the '12 Z06. Its lighter, a mid-engine, electric dct, and suffers less parasitic loss, but is not preforming like the hype would lead you to believe. The 2020 GT500 takes them all to church! I'm not a fan boy, just reading the facts. Im not watching some YouTube review or TV crap. The Nurburgring track time requirements are strict and thats a serious course. Just under 13k and ranging in technicality. The cars HAVE to be factory and production to make the list. No mods, and cannot be something like a super snake or a copa. Its a true driver/vehicle test.
I have to say that I have enjoyed the read of posts. There are lots of points of views and reasonable banter back and forth. I really appreciated the above post to put into perspective the various real performance results. As an owner of a 2014 PP/TP versioned car, I am a little surprised that it was even as close as described. There are serious limitations to a solid axle on a road course as delivered from Ford. I was about to abort the ownership quickly after purchase. I reached out to those who track and had solutions to shortcomings and opted to "give them a shot" prior to making a hasty decision. I am happy that I did this. The car is not the performer of a new GT500 but it can and does surprise those who feel that there cannot be anything S197 that can even come close to the S550 platformed car. They can! If you can swing a new one without harming way of life, why not? We do not get another shot at this life (that I am aware of). Thanks for posting this empirical data for those who like to digest such things.

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500
1,199 Posts
I have to say that I have enjoyed the read of posts. There are lots of points of views and reasonable banter back and forth. I really appreciated the above post to put into perspective the various real performance results. As an owner of a 2014 PP/TP versioned car, I am a little surprised that is was even as close as described. There are serious limitations to a solid axle on a road course as delivered from Ford. I was about to abort the ownership quickly after purchase. I reached out to those who track and had solutions to shortcomings and opted to "give them a shot" prior to making a hasty decision. I am happy that I did this. The car is not the performer of a new GT500 but it can and does surprise those who feel that there cannot be anything S197 that can even come close to the S550 platformed car. They can! If you can swing a new one without harming way of life, why not? We do not get another shot at this life (that I am aware of). Thanks for posting this empirical data for those who like to digest such things.
All true. But, being subjective, the S197 wins in one category: Looks.

·
Registered
07 GT500
274 Posts
The impression I got was the 07-14 GT500 was 100% a Ford SVT designed, built and tested product. They brought in Mr. Shelby for his stamp of approval once they had a car. Of course he liked it.

It’s romantic to think Carroll Shelby designed the 07 GT500, but this simply isn’t the case from my understanding. Owners will claim that the 20XX is the “last year Mr. Shelby had a hand in building. In reality, the 1967 GT500 was the last one he had a hand in building.

Ford SVT was responsible for the Mustang Cobras 93-04 and the Shelby GT500 from 07-14. Afterwards, SVT was morphed into Ford Performance. The 2015+ Shelby GT350 and the 2020+ Shelby GT500 are Ford Performance products.

@69bossnine might have additional insight.
I will have to look further in to my books and see what I can find.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
761 Posts
Y'all are forgetting the '07 and '08 Shelby GTs that were built/modified in Vegas. Most Shelby people I've chatted with over the past few years recognize those as 'real' Shelbys, and not the ones that came later from Ford. Not sure why the GT350s that Vegas did weren't also recognized, but that's their debate.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
35,467 Posts
Y'all are forgetting the '07 and '08 Shelby GTs that were built/modified in Vegas. Most Shelby people I've chatted with over the past few years recognize those as 'real' Shelbys, and not the ones that came later from Ford. Not sure why the GT350s that Vegas did weren't also recognized, but that's their debate.
The “real Shelby” thing always make me chuckle. Shelby American has been modding (not building) vehicles for a long time. The only car that they built from the ground up that I can think of is the Series One. I guess that’s the only “real Shelby.” :rolleyes:

·
Registered
Numerous
1,573 Posts
Carroll didn't, technically, work "at" Ford to develop '07-'14 GT500s or "build" the cars. According to Ford Performance, however, you're spot-on about him working "with Ford in the development of these cars..."
Font Screenshot Event Terrestrial plant Darkness

2013-2014 GT500s were, in fact, the last production run for which Carroll was "hands on and immersed in the development." The "as he was with every Shelby Mustang that came before" verbiage makes it clear this was the case for all GT500s built on the S197 chassis.

I will have to look further in to my books and see what I can find.
There's no need to look further than the Ford Performance video, from which I took the above screenshot.

·
Premium Member
2012 & 2021 GT500 strippers
7,917 Posts
I think the only hand Carrol had in the 07-13 models was cashing the checks. Granted I'm sure he signed off on having his name associated with it, but then there's the mopar Shelby's. He couldn't have been too picky.

These were the only cars that saw the inside of Shelby American.

2008 Shelby GT500KR - The Real Deal - Mustang Monthly Magazine.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
35,467 Posts
I think the only hand Carrol had in the 07-13 models was cashing the checks. Granted I'm sure he signed off on having his name associated with it, but then there's the mopar Shelby's. He couldn't have been too picky.

These were the only cars that saw the inside of Shelby American.

2008 Shelby GT500KR - The Real Deal - Mustang Monthly Magazine.
Yup! I’m sure the marketing team at SVT romanticized Carroll’s involvement for the publicity. The SVT engineers made it all happen. Mr. Shelby gave it his “stamp of approval.”

In the video, it looks like he was seeing the car for the first time. He even said: “You guys have done a tremendous job!”

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Twister Orange
76 Posts
Has this turned into a "My Shelby is a real Shelby, and your Shelby is not a real Shelby" thread?? lol

While Mr. Shelby didn't sign mine, I believe to be true Shelby . . . Says so right on the Window Sticker. lol

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
35,467 Posts
Reactions: Hawkeye and DKnight

·
Registered
2014, GT500, PP & TP, Cortex suspension
195 Posts
Yup! I’m sure the marketing team at SVT romanticized Carroll’s involvement for the publicity. The SVT engineers made it all happen. Mr. Shelby gave it his “stamp of approval.”

In the video, it looks like he was seeing the car for the first time. He even said: “You guys have done a tremendous job!”
Exactly. It was a mutual benefit. One side got money for lending a name, the other side got money for using a name. The last Shelby that I am aware of was the Series 1, which used a lot of GM parts, including a Oldsmobile Aurora engine. I was able to see, sit and feel one at a local car show. More can be seen on video below.

·
Registered
Numerous
1,573 Posts
Opinions are just that, especially when unsupported by facts. The fact is Ford Performance (formerly SVT) clearly stated they were "fortunate to have Carroll Shelby be hands on and immersed in the development of the new 2013 Shelby GT500 Mustang as he was with every Shelby Mustang that came before." Other notable quotes include:
  • "Carroll Shelby himself... has been with us thru the whole process of the [2013 Shelby GT500] development."
  • "[Carroll Shelby] will be the first to admit he's not an engineer - he goes by the feel."
  • "[Carroll Shelby] tells us when we got it right and, in the most brutal way, he'll tell us if we have it wrong."
  • "We'll take it back and continue to work on it until [Carroll Shelby] says 'Yeah, this is the car we're going for.'"
  • "I'm really proud to have my name on [the 2013 Shelby GT500] that you guys have put together, working with my dream of what I think a car should be. And, you've made it that and more." -Carroll Shelby

Carroll's own words at this 2007 GT500 unveiling are are clear:
  • "I'm proud to be part of SVT and [the 2007 Shelby GT500] answers all of my dreams."
  • "We've been working together for four or five years now - just on a very quiet basis. We're just getting around to announce it. Didn't want to say a lot about it until we had a product to announce. We got a good one here."

Another fact is Carroll's passing means he had nothing to do with Shelby vehicle development after 2012. He may have been even more pleased with subsequent models, but we'll never know. Repeating concocted narratives to the contrary or opining about what one thinks does nothing to diminsh the veracity of Ford's statements or Carroll's own words. Nor, does it increase the accuracy of others' mantra.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
35,467 Posts
Opinions are just that, especially when unsupported by facts. The fact is Ford Performance (formerly SVT) clearly stated they were "fortunate to have Carroll Shelby be hands on and immersed in the development of the new 2013 Shelby GT500 Mustang as he was with every Shelby Mustang that came before." Other notable quotes include:
  • "Carroll Shelby himself... has been with us thru the whole process of the [2013 Shelby GT500] development."
  • "[Carroll Shelby] will be the first to admit he's not an engineer - he goes by the feel."
  • "[Carroll Shelby] tells us when we got it right and, in the most brutal way, he'll tell us if we have it wrong."
  • "We'll take it back and continue to work on it until [Carroll Shelby] says 'Yeah, this is the car we're going for.'"
  • "I'm really proud to have my name on [the 2013 Shelby GT500] that you guys have put together, working with my dream of what I think a car should be. And, you've made it that and more." -Carroll Shelby

Carroll's own words at this 2007 GT500 unveiling are are clear:
  • "I'm proud to be part of SVT and [the 2007 Shelby GT500] answers all of my dreams."
  • "We've been working together for four or five years now - just on a very quiet basis. We're just getting around to announce it. Didn't want to say a lot about it until we had a product to announce. We got a good one here."

Another fact is Carroll's passing means he had nothing to do with Shelby vehicle development after 2012. He may have been even more pleased with subsequent models, but we'll never know. Repeating concocted narratives to the contrary or opining about what one thinks does nothing to diminsh the veracity of Ford's statements or Carroll's own words. Nor, does it increase the accuracy of others' mantra.
Please click your upper right avatar/account settings/vehicle details and enter your car year. It then shows under your screen name, which helps in conversations here. We cover multiple years of the GT500 on this forum.

I have “numerous” too, but having your GT500 year listed is helpful for conversations here as we cover multiple iterations of the GT500.

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
"Romanticized" meaning, "lied about"! If that is true then it makes one wonder, what else did Ford lie about?
Maybe they were telling the truth. So when Shelby says
"You guys have done a tremendous job!”
Maybe he means that they have done well implementing his design inputs and directions, and does not mean that he had nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
2020 GT500
279 Posts
A family friend interacted with Mr. Shelby personally numerous times (said person worked for a major oil company back in the 60-70s). He always said first and foremost Carroll was a business man.

Shelby was also involved in the early development of the Dodge Viper, but only from a performance consulting perspective. His name has such enormous brand recognition that many refer to the Viper as being his personal creation. Imagine it's much the same with Ford also.

101 - 120 of 132 Posts