Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 132 Posts

Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
The problem with this whole discussion is that it's completely subjective and based on personal opinion. There's very few objective facts involved - price, car specs, ie, HP, etc - the rest is just from the gut. If money was no object, to me, and this is my own personal opinion and isn't intended to influence anybody else, I would have still bought an '08/'09 GT 500. It woulda just been a low mileage one because that's the model that does it for me. A newer GT350R woulda been in the discussion as well, but it would be my 2nd choice. The main reason for me to make that choice is looks. I much prefer the look of the 5th gens over the 6th gens. For me it's that simple. But also the chances of me tracking a car more than once a year (or even once) isn't very good, so I don't need that type of ride.
And that's my completely subjective opinion. All other opinions are equally as valid.

Registered
2013 GT 500
Glad you have driven both before reaching a conclusion. 馃嵒

I guess another aspect to point out is what the car will be used for...? If it will be just a daily driver to/from work, there won鈥檛 be much benefit spending the extra on the new one. If you are going to beat-up on cars on your drives or hit a drag strip occasionally, then the new model starts to make more financial sense. Lastly, if you like to hit a road course, that鈥檚 completely in the 2020+ wheelhouse. The 07-14 GT500 is a narrowly focused purpose built car. It鈥檚 a straight line raw beast! The designers of the 2020+ mixed-up a DNA concoction that has the car doing everything, and doing it all well. This is where the big difference in capabilities shine and might justify the cost to some.
never hit a drag strip or road course and never plan to, if I do it will be for fun. My cars see the road 3-4 months out of year and get maybe 3-5k miles a year. But yes if you hit the track cars like this, Z28 etc make lots of sense, or if you have the money and want the best of the best but even thats subjective. Want a fun conversation watch people argue whats better a GT500, ZL1 or Hellcat, lol.

Much like the post above if I had almost 6 figures to burn or at least logically burn in my case, it wouldnt be a new 500, but thats just me. As the pinnacle in looks, performance, cost etc of the mustang was the 11-14 model.

Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
As the pinnacle in looks, performance, cost etc of the mustang was the 11-14 model.
I cannot argue with someone that prefers the look of the S197鈥 that鈥檚 a personal preference. I鈥檒l say this though, the pinnacle of performance was not the 11-14 model. It鈥檚 the current model by a long shot.

Registered
2013 GT 500
I cannot argue with someone that prefers the look of the S197鈥 that鈥檚 a personal preference. I鈥檒l say this though, the pinnacle of performance was not the 11-14 model. It鈥檚 the current model by a long shot.
I should have added combined. Looks, performance, cost, combined. But I think you know what I meant.

Moderator/Admin Dude!
I should have added combined. Looks, performance, cost, combined. But I think you know what I meant.
Well鈥 if looking at the combo to include looks/performance/cost, you can鈥檛 rule out the 03-04 Terminator then either. In some aspects, it outshines the S197 GT500 and was cheaper. It had much stronger forged internals as well as an IRS rear end. The seats were also next-level with adjustments that gave you a good mix of base for cruising and Recaro for the track. There wasn鈥檛 any shifting issues with the transmission either. The 03-04 was a shock and awe moment and ushered in the modern boosted muscle car era. They have a cult like following still strong some 18 years later!

Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
I've talked to some guys that swear by having a lower speed, high handling car is the pinnacle of road racing.
They get to drive the cars flat out a high percentage of the time.

Me personally, I was never a S550 fan either, until I saw the GT350R/GT500 (I really prefer the wing look to the spoiler) - I preferred the looks of the S197. Never been a S95 fan - they are great, just not what gets me moving.

Moderator/Admin Dude!
I've talked to some guys that swear by having a lower speed, high handling car is the pinnacle of road racing.
They get to drive the cars flat out a high percentage of the time.

Me personally, I was never a S550 fan either, until I saw the GT350R/GT500 (I really prefer the wing look to the spoiler) - I preferred the looks of the S197. Never been a S95 fan - they are great, just not what gets me moving.
This is why you see a lot of Miatas at the track. A lighter car will always corner better than a heavier car. I joke that Miatas don鈥檛 have brake pedals. They just stand on the gas pedal at the track all day.

Regarding the SN95鈥 I always felt the same. I liked the Fox and the New Edge, but I just wasn鈥檛 crazy about the 94-98鈥 it has grown on me though and I now have more SN95s than any other group in my garage:

Fox: 89/93
SN95: 94/95/96
New Edge: 00/04
S197: 11
S550: 20

Reactions: DKnight

Registered
2020 GT500
Well鈥 if looking at the combo to include looks/performance/cost, you can鈥檛 rule out the 03-04 Terminator then either. In some aspects, it outshines the S197 GT500 and was cheaper. It had much stronger forged internals as well as an IRS rear end. The seats were also next-level with adjustments that gave you a good mix of base for cruising and Recaro for the track. There wasn鈥檛 any shifting issues with the transmission either. The 03-04 was a shock and awe moment and ushered in the modern boosted muscle car era. They have a cult like following still strong some 18 years later!
This * 1000. The 03-04 Cobras will remain an icon when it comes to U.S. domestic vehicles. Heck, even most JDM / Euro buddies of mine (who normally can't STAND Mustangs) freely admit their love and lust for them. I've heard several of them refer to the car as the 'domestic MK4 Supra' which I think is pretty cool!

Once people realized the true potential of the Terminator back in the day, it reset the entire scene. Something the GT500s (sorry, my opinion only) didn't do until the 2020+ came out.

Registered
2013 Shelby GT500
The look of the 07-14 is really important to me. More important than the cost. Never was a fan of the SN95. Loved my 鈥86 and 鈥87 GTs, so loved the Fox bodies. S550 looks good, never cared for the front end. Loved the back end.

Registered
2013 GT 500
This * 1000. The 03-04 Cobras will remain an icon when it comes to U.S. domestic vehicles. Heck, even most JDM / Euro buddies of mine (who normally can't STAND Mustangs) freely admit their love and lust for them. I've heard several of them refer to the car as the 'domestic MK4 Supra' which I think is pretty cool!

Once people realized the true potential of the Terminator back in the day, it reset the entire scene. Something the GT500s (sorry, my opinion only) didn't do until the 2020+ came out.
The thing is what are you really doing these days for what I would call an everyday joe or consumer car? How much Hp, handling are you going to achieve or can you achieve at a price point that still makes it in general a mass produced machine? I mean if Ford wants to produce(the already do the GT) a multiple six figure lambo esque car thats cool. But then again it goes back to one my points
The look of the 07-14 is really important to me. More important than the cost. Never was a fan of the SN95. Loved my 鈥86 and 鈥87 GTs, so loved the Fox bodies. S550 looks good, never cared for the front end. Loved the back end.
Me neither, I liken them to the Fbird/Camaro of the same era, its like they took the old fox body, fischer body designs and just made curves everywhere.

Premium Member
The thing is what are you really doing these days for what I would call an everyday joe or consumer car? How much Hp, handling are you going to achieve or can you achieve at a price point that still makes it in general a mass produced machine? I mean if Ford wants to produce(the already do the GT) a multiple six figure lambo esque car thats cool. But then again it goes back to one my

Me neither, I liken them to the Fbird/Camaro of the same era, its like they took the old fox body, fischer body designs and just made curves everywhere.
That was one of my fathers big complaints when the Mustang started being expensive.... he said it was always a car for the average guy that you could afford and could have performance.
He would absolutely hate the current prices.

Registered
2013 GT 500
That was one of my fathers big complaints when the Mustang started being expensive.... he said it was always a car for the average guy that you could afford and could have performance.
I鈥檝e said for years resurrect some of the old models, think chevelle, gto, etc and just make them as they were no frills 350-400hp carb engines or even do it with what we have today and they would sell like hot cakes. But my guess is making less and charging more is better for the bottom line. In essence the big three are taking 40k cars where they make 10ish on, adding 30-50k in price and making 20 if not more.
Sad thing is with electric coming and the already absorbent prices, it will be even worse in ten years. Wouldn鈥檛 shock me if your every day Gt is an 80k car and these shelbys are turning 150k in a decade.

Registered
2013 Shelby GT500
Ahhh. You made pause and ponder. My dad would be crazy over the Shelby we own. He could never afford one. He had a new 1979 Mustang coupe with the weak V-8. Then the 1967 convertible he helped me get ready to go to KU in. He certainly wouldnt fathom the prices. No doubt the power of our 2013 GT500 would鈥檝e awed him. Wish he was alive to experience it.

Premium Member
Ahhh. You made pause and ponder. My dad would be crazy over the Shelby we own. He could never afford one. He had a new 1979 Mustang coupe with the weak V-8. Then the 1967 convertible he helped me get ready to go to KU in. He certainly wouldnt fathom the prices. No doubt the power of our 2013 GT500 would鈥檝e awed him. Wish he was alive to experience it.
Yeah an important detail.... yeah my Dad would be amazed at the performance but he was much more mechanically inclined than me... He would fall into the, but I can get a cheaper car and make it perform, camp more than I do.
Mustangs were mostly 'kids' cars to him - but he was 53 when they came out. He would have definitely pointed out that I didn't need the Shelby... but he'd also accept that I wanted it lol.

Registered
2013 Shelby GT500
I have told the Shelby story before, but basically, in 1968 he and I went into Raytown Ford to buy a used Fairlane wagon. On the showroom floor was a brand new red Shelby GT500 convertible. The look in his eyes was both excited and sad at the same time. He knew he could never own one. So, I believe he would be crazy excited that I have one now, a 2013 and not a 鈥68.

Premium Member
To me, my '09 GT500 is not narrowly focused. It is PERFECTLY focused. I love it. However, my future car purchases will most likely not be a new car but instead I think I'll focus on classic Fords, '60s era, maybe with a modern drivetrain, maybe just improve the original engine/trans.
As much as I enjoy driving my Shelby, I think I prefer driving my '65 even more.

Moderator/Admin Dude!
To me, my '09 GT500 is not narrowly focused. It is PERFECTLY focused. I love it. However, my future car purchases will most likely not be a new car but instead I think I'll focus on classic Fords, '60s era, maybe with a modern drivetrain, maybe just improve the original engine/trans.
As much as I enjoy driving my Shelby, I think I prefer driving my '65 even more.
Please click your upper right avatar/account settings/vehicle details and enter your car year. It then shows under your screen name, which helps in conversations here. We cover multiple years of the GT500 on this forum.

Registered
I was so utterly disappointed with Star Wars 7. it had so much potential and at the end of it I was sitting there with my kids with a giant WTF expression on my face as in what the hell did we just watch was that even a story did it even have a script or was it just JJ spending someone's money on lightsabers and stuff? 8 and 9 we're even worse if that's even possible.

since then I've spent hours arguing with mostly younger fans how these are not canon. they say yeah but lucasfilm made them so they're Canon. and I say no George Lucas did not make them he is the original artist. you can buy the rights to a van Gogh painting but you are not allowed to create new van Gogh's I mean you can but who's going to take it seriously?

there are six Star Wars films and rogue one gets a nod. the new three canonical Skywalker films I reject outright as a fan I have the right to do that even if the law does not accept it.

2012 was the last Shelby Mustang. 13 to 14 probably fall under the umbrella.

this argument holds no water for many people but it does for me and my main gripe with this car is the same one I have over the Mustang Mach e. that is not a goddamn Mustang and I don't care who put the label on there. same with this 2020.

but I've been bitching about it for decades that why the hell doesn't Ford make a proper two-seater? why not resurrect Thunderbird and make it a kick-ass car?

2020 GT500 is a brilliant automobile with an unfortunate shell and it does not belong in that Mustang shell belongs in a proper sports car. it is a vehicle with an identity crisis. it is a muscle car pretending to be a sports car.

I want a two-seater Ford sports car GDit. not a LeMans car homologated for the Rich and famous.

Moderator/Admin Dude!
2012 was the last Shelby Mustang. 13 to 14 probably fall under the umbrella.
67 was the last Mustang Shelby really made. After that, it was all Ford. The 07-14 GT500s had the Shelby name, but were all Ford. Mr. Shelby鈥檚 involvement with the program was honorary. Claiming X is a 鈥渞eal Shelby鈥 and Y is not is a silly argument at best. If it was christened a 鈥淪helby鈥 by its makers, it鈥檚 a gosh darn Shelby! :eek:
2020 GT500 is a brilliant automobile with an unfortunate shell and it does not belong in that Mustang shell belongs in a proper sports car. it is a vehicle with an identity crisis. it is a muscle car pretending to be a sports car.
No identity crisis whatsoever. Ford set out to build the best Mustang to date鈥 a car that kicked ass on the street, strip and track. The 2020+ GT500 delivers! It鈥檚 a Super Muscle Car! 馃馃

81 - 100 of 132 Posts