·
Premium Member
2008 Vista Blue with White Stripes
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hmm, yes, this is related to the discussion on another thread about whether the 2020 supercar should even bear the Mustang name. I share this writer's opinion!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
35,367 Posts
Interesting read:

I agree with the article. The previous gen GT500 is a performance bargain compared to the new one (meteoric recent price increases aside). The two cars (S197/S550 GT500s) share very little other than a name. I very much get an old school vibe when driving my 2011. In some sense, it is more of an old school vibe than the 03/04 Terminator since the 03/04 has IRS. The solid rear axle feels very old school to me.

One item from the article worth correcting though... the writer said IRS is prone to wheel hop. I have never experienced wheel hop in the new 500, but I’m sure magneride has something to do with that.

·
Registered
2013 GT500 SVTPP w/TP
43 Posts
Agreed with the OP and the article, and hence why I opted for a 2013. However, the new gt500 is a phenomenal car, just not a muscle car. I like muscle cars, and hence why I have both an older gt500 and a hellcat.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
35,367 Posts
Agreed with the OP and the article, and hence why I opted for a 2013. However, the new gt500 is a phenomenal car, just not a muscle car. I like muscle cars, and hence why I have both an older gt500 and a hellcat.
I tell people the new 500 is a “super muscle car.” It does have some muscle car vibe, but it has an equal amount of super car vibe as well. There are a lot of ingredients that make up the new 500, but it definitely has some muscle car in it. The exhaust note is pure muscle car! 🤟

Reactions: Russell

·
Premium Member
KEN (#1) 2008 Metalic Vista Blue Convertible Stripe Delete w/some Stripes
6,287 Posts
…... The exhaust note is pure muscle car! 🤟
I may disagree with this a bit... My "exhaust note" at 129.4Db is a pure muscle car 'note'

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
35,367 Posts
I may disagree with this a bit... My "exhaust note" at 129.4Db is a pure muscle car 'note'
And my modified 2011 sounds fantastic too, but we are talking about cars as delivered from the factory. Once you through mods into the mix, everything changes. You could go hog wild and mod a 2007 GT500 to beat a new GT500 in all aspects. All it takes is time and money.

·
Premium Member
6,287 Posts
.....You could go hog wild and mod a 2007 GT500 to beat a new GT500 in all aspects.
All it takes is time and money.
… and a Gawdafull amount of it !!!!!

:)

·
Registered
2020 GT500
269 Posts
Well, opinions are like you know what. However personally, I never cared for the 'new retro' looks of the S197. The retro looks never seem to age very well.

I would have another 03/04 Cobra over an '07 GT500 any day. Much prefer the IRS, the looks and the impact it made on the streets when it came out. It is still legendary to this day. The '07 GT500? Not so much.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
35,367 Posts
Well, opinions are like you know what. However personally, I never cared for the 'new retro' looks of the S197. The retro looks never seem to age very well.

I would have another 03/04 Cobra over an '07 GT500 any day. Much prefer the IRS, the looks and the impact it made on the streets when it came out. It is still legendary to this day. The '07 GT500? Not so much.
The Terminators do have a cult-like following. I too dig their IRS setup over the follow-on GT500. Plus their engines were built more robustly and I absolutely love their seats... an adjustable hybrid that is part base/part Recaro.

Reactions: SnakeCollector

·
Premium Member
6,287 Posts

……... The '07 GT500? Not so much.
yeah, those Less-Desirable 07-08's are really pretty damn ugly !
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

...specially those useless Convertibles when compared to the 550 Verts… Oh, wait...

·
Premium Member
6,287 Posts
Comparing an 07 GT500 to a 2020 GT500 is the same as comparing a PINTO to a 2020 GT500.
Oh come on... at least make it a Mustang II to a '07 GT500...

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
748 Posts
Looks and price is why I have an '08.

·
Registered
352 Posts
If i had a hundred grand to spend on a car (guilty free), there are several cars I would buy rather than a new one: 04 Cobra, 09 370Z Nismo, 94 Skyline GTR (since the 95+ prices went stratospheric).

And by "if" that means, investment income, not base. 100k generates 20k per year with the right mutual funds. I'll never spend base income again on a car. I have a hard time looking in the mirror when i do that.

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
1,158 Posts
I liked my 2013 GT.... a lot.... I would take it back in a heartbeat -- hurt to trade it off.
Was it a superior car to my 2020 GT500... no... sorry... no.

I'm not a tuner/modder, never have been -- for me factory performance trounces what the car could be --- and I've seen way too many people mod their cars to the point of being one trick ponies that they have to trailer to the track/drag strip.... not for me thanks. If it's yours -- power to you.

I'm the same way about old cars -- I love how they look, but I'm not a fan of how they drive. Hell the first car I remember steering had so much play in the wheel you had to move your hands back and forth to keep it going straight --- today that would get me pulled over for swerving all over the road.

There's such a significant change in automotive technologies between 2007 and 2013 you're giving up a lot of standard equipment/safety/creature comforts -- and if it's just the live axle that you want (so straight lines and launches are more your thing than cornering) - you can get that up to 2014 for most Mustangs.

My 1990 LX Mustang would hop around corners if I looked at the accelerator pedal -- fair enough hitting the pedal would snap it back straight again too.
My Pontiac GTP would corner at speed fairly smoothly.
My 2013 GT at the same speed would hop across any significant bumps --- very noticeable coming from the GTP.
My 2020 GT500 doesn't hop and does it a lot faster than either car would.

As for the hopping in the article -- I did experience wheel spin and hop at FPRS on launch at the drag strip -- I'm assuming that's what they mean.

As for the new Mustang being a Muscle car --- seems like I read an article recently that basically said it never was. /shrug

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
748 Posts
I don't have a really clear understanding of the "muscle" car vs "pony" car definitions, but generally I read that the Mustang is a pony car, not a muscle car. Which is fine with me, I'm not hung up on labels. I just call them the best cars. Yeah, and that's a totally biased subjective opinion which is mine, and I'm not giving that opinion up for anybody else's opinion.

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Twister Orange
74 Posts
I don't have a really clear understanding of the "muscle" car vs "pony" car definitions, but generally I read that the Mustang is a pony car, not a muscle car. Which is fine with me, I'm not hung up on labels. I just call them the best cars. Yeah, and that's a totally biased subjective opinion which is mine, and I'm not giving that opinion up for anybody else's opinion.
I have to agree with Hawkeye on this one. I'm not sure "Mustangs" (in their stock form) fall into the "Muscle cars" category. Mustangs to me have always been "Pony Cars" or drivers cars. Having traded my 2013 Boss 302 for my 2020 GT500 I still believe that. Sure a Mustang can be made into a muscle car but at that point does it lose some of it's driver's car attributes and it's "pony car" vibe.

My Boss was pure joy to drive in the twisters and the 6 speed trans was just as fun. But it lacked the "giddyup" I was looking for. The GT500 has all the giddyup I will every need and handles arguably better than the Boss and certainly easier to drive faster than the Boss (at least for me). That and it has all the creature comforts I could ever want in a weekend warrior.

For pure Muscle car vibe (IMHO) you need to go back in time and look at Chrome bumpers and cars from the late 60's and early 70's, or Demons and Hellcats.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
It was a lot easier to distinguish muscle car from pony car back in the day. A pony car was originally a sporty compact with a I6 or small V8. A muscle car was usually a mid-size with a big block V8. As the years progressed Mustangs (the car that started the pony car category) got big block engines as an option and the line between pony and muscle began to blur, until what we have now, a Mustang with an engine more powerful than any full size car, SUV or truck in the lineup.
I don't call any late model GT500 a pony car, to me it's a muscle car. But that's just me.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts