Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
I found this when I googled:
"We've all wanted to know what the production numbers for the 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 will be. The slide our source gave us shows that Ford intends to make~5000 units,” which is consistent with previous Shelby GT500 volumes."

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
30,330 Posts
By my public school math, that makes darn near 50,000 07-14 GT500s produced. The cars were improved upon through the years with the finest examples being the 13/14 cars, but they are all the same basic design. These numbers are obviously way fewer than your standard massed produced family car, but they are exponentially higher than 1 to 2 year only specialty Mustangs that SVT produced from 93-04.

I don’t think it is sound financial planning to buy a 07-14 GT500 as an “investment.” Are they collectible... sure. Don’t expect an ROI though. Buy it to enjoy.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
30,330 Posts
The ROI are the friendships you make in the Shelby community ..... "priceless" .... 😄
I am new to this game. 😀 And owning a Shelby Mustang and enjoying it and the folks you meet while owning the car will mean much more to me. Got enough investments already anyway! 😀
Perfect way to look at it! These cars are a blast and the people are great!

·
Premium Member
6,571 Posts
I disagree with those on here who would suggest that a significant or noteworthy amount of these cars have been destroyed.

Sure, some have been totalled from accidents. But I'd wager it's less than 10% of what was produced, maybe less than 5%. That's pretty insignificant as it pertains to the total count.

Today's enthusiasts have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight... It was back in the 70's, before anyone had ANY idea or allusions that muscle cars would ever be worth anything like they are today, that you saw high rates of attrition... Attrition due to wrecks, or simply from being driven into the ground or allowed to rust into the ground, because in the 70's during the gas crisis they were just cheap used cars that were typically owned by people who treated them roughly. Sure, there were outliers, cars that benefited from low-mileage and/or considerate ownership. But a much higher ratio "met their maker" in the crushers.

Today, we see what old/special cars CAN be worth, and people (as an average) tend to treat their low-production halo-end muscle with more understanding of hindsight.

Many of the GT500's purchased new were not purchased as daily-drivers, but as fair-weather and coveted posessions. So... Compared to the 60's and 70's and 80's, a HUGE percentage of our modern 07-14 GT500's will survive ongoing, with the only ones lost being the serious wrecks/totals, and the super-tiny percentage that actually get used/abused and driven into the ground with super-high miles, not worth the expense of rebuilding.

And that, is a small number... Relatively speaking. I would guess that of all the 07-14 GT500's built, easily 2/3's of them will live into perpetuity, in some manner of condition and mileage. And some of the tattier ones might actually get restored someday.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts