·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
30,314 Posts
“Collectible” is open for interpretation. Yes, the 07-14 GT500s were cool cars then and cool cars now. They were and still are excellent performance machines and were the top-dog Mustangs for those years. When I think of a “collectible,” I think of a car that is not a depreciating asset. Out of all of my Mustangs, I consider my 2011 GT500 as my least collectible car. I have collected rare, 1-year only cars in SVT’s history. The 07-14 GT500 has too many in circulation to qualify in that metric. I do love my 2011, but I fully expect it to continue depreciating for a long time.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I believe I read where less than 5,000 2013 GT 500s were produced. I imagine the 2014 is similar in quantity produced. While that sounds like a large number, imagine how many have been destroyed by now. Even fewer in stock condition. I do believe the 2-year run of the 5.8 Trinity engined cars will hold value and eventually gain in value. We did not buy the car to be an appreciating asset, but good to think it will eventually be worth something. To those who don’t want to believe the article - everyone can think what they want to.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,061 Posts
I think the 13 and 14 probably stand the best chance of being the most collectible of the range of models. (07-14). I believe the 5.8 engine and the many changes that were added to the 13/14 would make them the most likely to hold their value, since the 2020 is such a substantial departure from the previous run of live rear axle GT500's of recent history. Mine got snapped up within two days after I traded it in for the GT350. Wish I could have kept it AND gotten the GT350. It's all kind of subjective.

·
Premium Member
4,258 Posts
I think you have to give a fair amount of credence to a company whose business is insuring collectible vehicles. JMHO
Agree

Am I bias because I own a 2007, absolutely. To me it is a collectible, but it is my collectible. I have owned mined for a little over eight years with zero intentions of selling it. I’ve kept an eye on the 2007-2009 market. I lucked out on my purchase and I’m still at a place where I can sell mine for what I paid for it or more. I know it would not make up for the money spent on insurance and property tax and that’s okay. I could have sold it and bought something new over last few years. If I had, I would have seen more depreciation or would have spent more money to be in the same valuation. Regardless, it doesn’t matter, I don’t plan on it going anywhere anytime soon.

IMO, the market for the 07-14 will continue to be solid. With the new GT350 and GT500 being out of reach for most potential buyers, they will look towards the 07-14 models to fill their wants.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
30,314 Posts
IMO, the market for the 07-14 will continue to be solid.
Completely agree Bob. I have been quite pleased with the resistance to depreciation these cars have. They are depreciating, but much more slowly than many other performance cars.

On the flip side, my 93-04 Mustang Cobras have been appreciating, which is nice to see. Some have been going up more quickly than others. My Teal 93 Cobra has been leading the pack on the appreciation curve with it about doubling in value from what I paid for it in 2014.

I’m like you though Bob. I have no intent to sell my cars ever. I plan to give them to my sons at some point.

·
Premium Member
5,135 Posts
Completely agree Bob. I have been quite pleased with the resistance to depreciation these cars have. They are depreciating, but much more slowly than many other performance cars.

On the flip side, my 93-04 Mustang Cobras have been appreciating, which is nice to see. Some have been going up more quickly than others. My Teal 93 Cobra has been leading the pack on the appreciation curve with it about doubling in value from what I paid for it in 2014.

I’m like you though Bob. I have no intent to sell my cars ever. I plan to give them to my sons at some point.
Wow!
Thanks Dad.....:D

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,070 Posts
A vehicle can be rare, & not collectible.
And a collectible car may not be rare, if they made several / many of them..

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
I’ve kept an eye on the 2007-2009 market. I lucked out on my purchase and I’m still at a place where I can sell mine for what I paid for it or more.
I was the same way with my 2008 ... I sold it for what I bought it for 4 years earlier, got to enjoy it and experience "blown horsepower", but decided I wanted to retire 6 years before the government said I should. (who wants to listen to those people anyway ... LOL )... it turned out to be a safe investment with a good return of fun and making a few good friends. Now that I've completely settled into retirement, I enjoy my "GT500 Forum time" ..... :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
There’s no doubt in my mind Hagerty believes they are collectibles. I priced their insurance for my 2013 GT500:oops::eek:

Not long after I got my 2013 I called Hagerty for a quote on all my vehicles. They had zero issues insuring both of my 1966's, my 1989, and even my 2003 F250 because they could classify it as my tow vehicle since I also have a car hauler trailer. However, they told me they would NOT insure my 2013. When I asked why, I was told because I do not have another vehicle that is less than 5 years old in the household. They looked forward to insuring all my others though. I told them no thanks. If they won't insure ALL of my vehicles they won't insure any of them. What a crock!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
30,314 Posts
Not long after I got my 2013 I called Hagerty for a quote on all my vehicles. They had zero issues insuring both of my 1966's, my 1989, and even my 2003 F250 because they could classify it as my tow vehicle since I also have a car hauler trailer. However, they told me they would NOT insure my 2013. When I asked why, I was told because I do not have another vehicle that is less than 5 years old in the household. They looked forward to insuring all my others though. I told them no thanks. If they won't insure ALL of my vehicles they won't insure any of them. What a crock!
When I switched to Hagerty awhile back, they would not insure my 2011 GT500 since it is modified. I have all of the Cobras with Hagerty, but the Shelby and our daily drivers are with USAA.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
When I switched to Hagerty awhile back, they would not insure my 2011 GT500 since it is modified. I have all of the Cobras with Hagerty, but the Shelby and our daily drivers are with USAA.
At the time, mine was still totally stock. I wanted to go with Hagerty, but it irritated me what their excuse was so I just stayed with my normal insurance.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Totals
2007-10,847
2008- 8,583
2009- 3,559
2010- 4,458
2011- 5,100
2012- 4,834
2013- 4,885

Do not have the 2014 stats.....
Since I am a 2013 guy, 4,885 GT500s doesn't seem like a big, big number of cars built. I imagine more than a few have been destroyed. That may not make one collectible, but it very well could make them scarce over time.

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
986 Posts
2014 : 5,730 including 6 pre-production units

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts