Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for current owners.. Is the technology package worth the $3000 cost? I’m getting the Recaro seats so it's only going to be adding the B&O system and the cobra puddles lights. On a GT the option is only $1000. To me, I can't justify paying $3000 for those two options when I could upgrade the stereo myself for less. Just wanted other owners’ opinions. Are there any ways of adding puddle lights on a non-technology package car?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
41,901 Posts
Question for current owners.. Is the technology package worth the $3000 cost? I’m getting the Recaro seats so it's only going to be adding the B&O system and the cobra puddles lights. On a GT the option is only $1000. To me, I can't justify paying $3000 for those two options when I could upgrade the stereo myself for less. Just wanted other owners’ opinions. Are there any ways of adding puddle lights on a non-technology package car?
It’s overpriced, but you have one shot to have it on your car and I’m glad I got it. The puddle lamps are cool, the blind spot alerts are nice and the stereo sounds great to me.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500 Base - Black w/Blue OTT Vinyl
84 Posts
I have it and like it. It was the only option I cared to have added to the base model. More for navigation (in case I don’t have a phone with me) and blind spot monitoring than anything else. I do agree the $3k price tag is a bit much, but I wanted it and am happy I have it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I actually had no desire to get it, my build is base + recaros + painted roof and that's it.

I HATE BLIS. I'd much rather have the convex mirror so I can actually see what's happening behind me. Especially roll / highway racing. Puddle lamps are cool, but meh. Factory nav is nice, but I'll run android auto full time, so not useful to me. Recaros eliminate memory seats too.

So for 3k I'd get an audio upgrade.
3k in the audio world would get me a high end Focal setup, so again I'll pass. I'll spend $1000~ and have something that sounds significantly better than the B&O system.

Just my opinion 🤷 if tech pack added sync 4 or something a little better I'd be more interested.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
41,901 Posts
I actually had no desire to get it, my build is base + recaros + painted roof and that's it.

I HATE BLIS. I'd much rather have the convex mirror so I can actually see what's happening behind me. Especially roll / highway racing. Puddle lamps are cool, but meh. Factory nav is nice, but I'll run android auto full time, so not useful to me. Recaros eliminate memory seats too.

So for 3k I'd get an audio upgrade.
3k in the audio world would get me a high end Focal setup, so again I'll pass. I'll spend $1000~ and have something that sounds significantly better than the B&O system.

Just my opinion 🤷 if tech pack added sync 4 or something a little better I'd be more interested.
Do you have a 2022 on order?

I use Waze on Apple Car Play for my maps, but still like the tech package.

Please click your upper right avatar/account settings/vehicle details and enter your car year (2022 on order). It then shows under your screen name, which helps in conversations here. We cover multiple years of the GT500 on this forum.

·
Registered
2021 GT500 Black
337 Posts
I specifically looked for it and handling pkg. Knew it wasn't cheap / overpriced but enjoy having the B&O and puddle light. Don't really think about the cost now. BLIS don't really care if it had it or not.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
1,444 Posts
I have it but it’s quite hard to find a dealer order without one. I’m also going to do a full audio build and the B&O is a much easier place to start with than the other setup. A PAC Audio Amp Pro ties in to the B&O digital audio system and provides a clean, flat signal. There’s no such option available for the non B&O system so you need to use aftermarket trickery to pull a good signal.
I also am thankful for the BLIS. The 1/4 windows are too small to effectively see all angles when changing lanes and the RCTA is more than worth it to catch oncoming cars and people when backing up.
And then there’s the puddle lamps which are just cool lol.

·
Registered
2020 GT500
3 Posts
I have been reading the forums here a bit and I do recall reading that someone had an issue when they changed their factory head unit to an aftermarket, and it caused a few different electrical gremlins for them. I opted for the tech package, I do not want to risk any potential issues with anything electronic on this car but that is just my 2 cents. Plus what is 3k on a car that is 80k+ already.

·
Premium Member
2021 gt500, twister orange
224 Posts
I have it and like it. It was the only option I cared to have added to the base model. More for navigation (in case I don’t have a phone with me) and blind spot monitoring than anything else. I do agree the $3k price tag is a bit much, but I wanted it and am happy I have it.
Completely agree except feel the price was super cheap given my driving habits. (I have the $10k stripes as well but we don't seem to be able to preorder anything in CA :) My newest car before this one is from 2006. None of the current technology. Love the blind spot monitoring, nav, and that it starts playing my Apple music immediately when I start the car since it recognizes my phone (even tho I usually pause it to resume later). And this modern car super fast car is the safest one I've ever owned.

·
Registered
2021 GT 500
588 Posts
I have it but it’s quite hard to find a dealer order without one. I’m also going to do a full audio build and the B&O is a much easier place to start with than the other setup. A PAC Audio Amp Pro ties in to the B&O digital audio system and provides a clean, flat signal. There’s no such option available for the non B&O system so you need to use aftermarket trickery to pull a good signal.
I also am thankful for the BLIS. The 1/4 windows are too small to effectively see all angles when changing lanes and the RCTA is more than worth it to catch oncoming cars and people when backing up.
And then there’s the puddle lamps which are just cool lol.
Looks like there may be a fellow stereo nut in here. Agree completely on the AP4-FD21 Amppro. It provides an awesome, truly flat signal to feed to a DSP, especially with the APA-TOS1 optical interface. The noise floor is so low with this setup. I was so glad when I found out this isn’t one of the “real” B&O systems that uses the A2b bus like the F150. That ZenA2b is such a piece of crap.

Just installed my Amppro and about 400 feet of wire and other assorted crap behind the APIM.
Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Automotive exterior Nut

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Looks like there may be a fellow stereo nut in here. Agree completely on the AP4-FD21 Amppro. It provides an awesome, truly flat signal to feed to a DSP, especially with the APA-TOS1 optical interface. The noise floor is so low with this setup. I was so glad when I found out this isn’t one of the “real” B&O systems that uses the A2b bus like the F150. That ZenA2b is such a piece of crap.

Just installed my Amppro and about 400 feet of wire and other assorted crap behind the APIM.
View attachment 231934
All the power to you audiophiles, but I have yet to run my technology package stereo up to 1/3 of its capability. :)

·
Registered
2021 GT 500
588 Posts
I have been reading the forums here a bit and I do recall reading that someone had an issue when they changed their factory head unit to an aftermarket, and it caused a few different electrical gremlins for them. I opted for the tech package, I do not want to risk any potential issues with anything electronic on this car but that is just my 2 cents. Plus what is 3k on a car that is 80k+ already.
It‘s not possible to change the head unit anymore since there’s really no head unit at all. Most newer fords have a computer module called an APIM (accessory protocol interface module) if I remember right. This module integrates heavily with the car and is involved in chime warnings, heated seats and steering wheels, AC, remote start, etc. If you remove this module, which is attached to the back of the screen, you’d cripple the car. Now, the non nav 05-14 Mustangs, you could put a traditional double DIN head unit in pretty easily.

·
Registered
2021 Black on order.
103 Posts
No problem going aftermarket stereo without the B and O. You lose zero functionality.​
You can easily outdo the stock sound for 3K.

·
Registered
2021 GT 500
588 Posts
All the power to you audiophiles, but I have yet to run my technology package stereo up to 1/3 of its capability. :)
I’m a little nuts with stereos. Lol. The GT500 will get the full treatment later. This is my F250. Since I took these pics I upgraded my bass amp from the 1 KW RMS to the 1.5. Lol

Automotive lighting Hood Bumper Automotive design Vehicle door

Computer Personal computer Computer keyboard Desk Gadget

Light Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire Plant

Blue Car Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle door
Sleeve Circuit component Rectangle Electronic device Netbook

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Magnetic, 2013 GT500 Black
61 Posts
I have the tech package and like the features. I agree you only have one chance to order it and I believe it will be desirable option for resale and the cost should be recoverable.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
1,444 Posts
There’s two things I love, fast Mustangs and loud, clear music. The B&O is just a name stamp and honestly it’s lacking a lot for those of who are serious about our music. Nothing wrong if you like it. Maybe think of it like this…some folks are satisfied with a Mustang GT…then there’s us lol.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
1,444 Posts

View attachment 231934
Yessir! I have all the parts, just need to start doing the work. Gonna run a JL Vxi800/8 with active C5 components up front and passive C5 coaxials in the back. Then a Vxi 1000/1 pushing two 12w3v3s sealed in rear facing trunk setup. Sealed because I prefer tight kick drums over high excursion bass.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
There’s two things I love, fast Mustangs and loud, clear music. The B&O is just a name stamp and honestly it’s lacking a lot for those of who are serious about our music. Nothing wrong if you like it. Maybe think of it like this…some folks are satisfied with a Mustang GT…then there’s us lol.
I hear you sir and agree! But I'm retired and hafta deal with my hearing damage from too many concerts, listening to what the car is doing including the noise from the tires on crappy CA roads. May you rock on sir!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I got the tech package on my 2021 and don’t regret it. It’s my daily driver so the blind spot and cool puddle lights have value. The nav is nice too, although Sync 3 is slow and Google Maps is better. Nice to have the option tho.

I’ve heard the stock system and the B&O play the same music. The upgrade sounds better imho. I’m no audiophile and I’ve heard you can even tweak the B&O to sound better, but it’s an upgrade for sure. I also run SiriusXM and Apple Music and they both sound solid.

Agree too with others on resale value. I’ve had multiple dealer and private offers on my car, and all wanted to confirm that I got the tech package. FWIW, the last dealer told me that the tech package option was worth a $5k bump in total selling price on the used market.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts