Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Spring is just around the corner which means...it’s Tail of the Dragon time, gentlemen! :rocker:

If you don’t mind me, a former Shelby owner and current C6 owner, hanging out and driving around with you :wink:, I’ll be happy to try and light this powder keg off and see if we can’t get something organized.

TOTD would be just one of the adventures, of course. There’s the Cherohala Skyway, the Moonshiner 28, the Blue Ridge Parkway, as well as the newly opened “Missing Link” section of the Foothills Parkway (https://www.wbir.com/article/news/local/missing-link-to-open-52-years-after-construction-began-on-foothills-parkway/51-607970435 ). The options are endless.

Let’s see if we can narrow down the available weekends to a couple. In an attempt to get the ball rolling, here are a few weekends to chew on.

June 1-2
May 18-19
Apr 27-28

Of course, if there is a different weekend that works better for the group, then so be it.

I would really prefer (and plan to personally) to add in the Friday before to avoid the weekend Dragon traffic. At least in my experience, come Saturday at 11am, the party is over so to speak on the Dragon – too much traffic to get a clean, non-stop run through, which can be frustrating, especially considering the distance some of us are coming from. I will be staying Friday night and Saturday night.

Here’s a list of guys in the general vicinity (GA, NC, TN, SC, KY) that may be interested. I’m sure I’ve missed some guys, so please let me know and I’ll add them to the “call out” list. Of course, any member here is welcome to join us!

@67restoMod
@fastback
@BLKwRD14
@alan0614
@2010Grabber
@Cobra4me
@mavisky
@dougmccurry
@Swampgator
@Mikec35
@66sprint6
@gaindian

Let's do this thing!!! :rocker::rocker::rocker:

And, fyi, here is a link to our Dragon adventure last spring:
https://www.fordgt500.com/forums/7-pics-vids/185989-tail-dragon-cherohala-skyway-june-2-3-a.html

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I think I'm out on the June dates due to a Disney trip, but otherwise interested.

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
1,064 Posts
Oh yeah!! I'm in. Just have to get with my event organizer(wife). :laugh:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hope you guys have a blast...Great roads and beautiful scenery :) Its on my list as part of next years summer trip(1 week riding and camping in the area & 1 week over in the Oak Island area relaxing) This years is The Black Hills and the Great NorthWest.

I'm putting plans together for my son and his best friend to trailer a couple of bikes down and base out of Rome, GA in two week's and have to keep restraining myself from setting up a spot for one of my bikes :)

Again, Good luck, have a good time, and keep it in your lane :)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I think I'm out on the June dates due to a Disney trip, but otherwise interested.
Just checked. June dates don’t work for us either.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Looking forward to it...

·
Super Moderator
5,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm considering making that trip to TOTD with you guys. Will have to further check with my social director to see what's up, date wise. I'd love to do this!
Oh, snap!!! Your new GT350 will be BEGGING you to take it on the Dragon, Mike! I loved driving the GT500 on the Dragon, but the GT350 is THE Shelby to do the Dragon with. :rocker:

·
Super Moderator
5,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking like the early voting results are showing the May dates are in the lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm in for at least the trip on the Dragon- right now all those dates work for me but with my travel schedule at work things sometimes change...

Reactions: fletchffletch

·
Registered
38 Posts
Would LOVE to go. Ive done the Blue Ridge in my old ST and GT but havnt done the Dragon yet (shame on me). Need to break that in the Shelby! Free time is hard to come by till after April BUT if I hear yall are going and can get away for the day Ill join up.

Matt

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Are we still looking at May 18/19?

·
Super Moderator
5,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Alan! ( @alan0614 )

Good timing and thanks for the prompt, as the attendance and activities for an event is coming together/finalizing for the weekend of June 1/2 (+ Fri May 31). Below is what a group of us at work have pulled together. This is a bunch of us from work, friends, friends of friends, etc.. – just a group of folks that like cars and driving and some newbies to the Dragon and that area in general. It’ll be a hodge podge of cars. As it stands now, I think we'll have a few Vettes, a couple of BMWs, potentially a Ferrari and an assortment of other cars. About 10 cars confirmed at this point.

Come and join us for all or some of it! Let me know if you are interested.

DAY 1 – Friday, May 31st

6:30-7:00am – Meetup at the QT gas station (3353 Camp Rd, Jasper, GA 30143)
-- Gas up your machine and fuel up your tummy
7:00am -- Depart for Deals Gap (17548 Tapoco Road, Robbinsville, NC 28771)
9:30am -- Arrive at Deals Gap – restroom break, gas, get GoPros ready
9:30am - 1:00pm
-- Run the Tail of the Dragon a couple of times
-- Swap passengers around in all the fun vehicles for more smiles per mile
-- Visit the souvenir shops
1:00pm – 1:30pm -- Meetup time at the Historic Tapoco Lodge
2:00pm -- 3:30pm – Lunch outside by the river at Tapoco Tavern
3:30pm – Depart Tapoco Lodge. Options at this point:
1. Drive to Robbinsville, check in to the hotel and hang out
2. Drive to Deals Gap (5 minutes from Tapoco) to run the Dragon some more
3. Drive to Fontana Dam (15 minutes from Tapoco)
4. Drive to the top of the Cherohala Skyway (1.5 hour round trip)

DAY 2 – Saturday, June 1st
8:00am -- Leave Robbinsville at 8am sharp for a great ride down “Moonshiner 28”
-- Stop off along the route for some incredible morning views of the scenic overlook points along the way
-- Run the “twisties” part of the Moonshiner a couple of times
10:30am -- Arrive at Dry Falls
11:15am – Depart for Highlands, NC
11:30am – Lunch and shopping in Highlands
2:00pm – Depart for a nice afternoon drive to Bryson City, with highlights shown below…
-- Sliding Rock (NOTE: we don’t plan on the whole group stopping here, as there is an entrance fee to park. Of course, you are welcome to stop here, get wet and have fun if you would like – we will catch up with you later in Bryson City)
-- Blue Ridge Parkway
-- Devils Courthouse Overlook
-- Richard Balsom Overlook (highest point on the BPR)
5:00pm – Arrive at evening destination of Bryson City
-- Enjoy evening and dinner on your own in Bryson City
7:00pm – optional group dinner at Nantahala Brewing Company Farm-to-Table Brewpub (they do not take reservations -- first come, first served. P: 828-585-5885, Address: 116 Ramseur Street, Bryson City, North Carolina 28713)

DAY 3 – Sunday, June 2nd
Depart for home. Options at this point:
-- Depart at your own chosen time and route
-- Drive the Road to Nowhere (road starts 5 minutes from the Sleep Inn)
-- 7:30am – group departure for optional fun cruise back home…take the Moonshiner 28 to Franklin, NC and then Wayah Rd (CR 1310) to Topton, NC and then drive back to Jasper, GA

HOTELS

Friday night, May 31

We are staying at the Quality Inn (828-479-6772) in Robbinsville on Friday night. The rates are:

• One King Bed $92
  • Two Queen Beds $98

Saturday night, June 1
We have secured a group rate at the Sleep Inn (828-488-0326) in Bryson City for Saturday night.

• One King Bed $127
  • Two Queen Beds $136
When calling to make your reservation, tell them you have a group rate under “Critical Speed”.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Just checked and this is literally the weekend before we go to Disney. Daughter has 4 different dance performances on Saturday and Sunday and then we fly out Monday.

·
Super Moderator
5,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just checked and this is literally the weekend before we go to Disney. Daughter has 4 different dance performances on Saturday and Sunday and then we fly out Monday.
Ah, man, bummer. Understood though -- life w/ young kids. Great to see she is active w/ dancing -- sounds like she has a real passion for it. (y)

Disney -- you been before?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts