Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Shelby GT500 Vert, 2000 Roush Mustang GT Vert, 2019 Ford F150 Limited
470 Posts
Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Cloud

We've had a great day today. We are all worn out from multiple Dragon trips and a few others that took us well over 200 miles. I highly recommend @fletchffletch for a tour guide of this area. @03reptile and @fletchffletch are both very knowledgeable and entertaining.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,936 Posts
Yes, I am still alive! I've been off the grid since last Thursday evening!:eek: When I arrived and unpacked at the motel in Pigeon Forge, I found that I had brought my lap top but had left the laptop charger and electrical cord at home! Grrr! Most of you are familiar with my ineptitude when it comes to computers and cell phones, and trying to get my phone to connect with the forum was an exercise in futility! It's definitely different than my laptop! Tim just rolled his eyes (I suspect) when I told him on the phone! Anyway,... Mike, (Msirach) his lovely wife, Gina, and Kris (Fletchffletch) provided a great weekend of entertainment and laughter! Mike's wife was a real trooper and survived all the trips up and down the Tail of The Dragon without one complaint! Michael, she's a keeper!! We all arrived by Thursday evening and Friday morning Kris had us up and on our way to the fabled Tail of The Dragon with 318 corners to negotiate! It was early so the other cars and bikers had not yet fully descended upon the run. Needless to say, we had a good time running up and back the TOTD four times before traffic started to begin increasing. I've been on some mountain roads in the past, but this was far tighter and more challenging than anything I had ever experienced in the past! Speeds were kept reasonable due to the extremely tight corners and short distances between turns. I was in 2nd and third gear the whole time. I followed Kris in his new GT500 and was very impressed with his abilities and talent in picking a correct line in going through all the switchbacks and hairpin corners! I was convinced he'd been to some driving schools but he swore he had not! Maybe he missed his calling as a professional driver! Michael had to keep his exuberant drive in check due to the fact he could not afford a divorce at this stage in his life! His 2014 GT500 was always behind me! It was a real thrill being able to plumb some of the hidden abilities of the GT350 and I was simply amazed at how fantastic and well balanced the car was when I really pushed it to it's tire's and suspension's limits. The new 2020 GT500 received much of the GT350's suspension heritage and it really showed when I was following Kris. Smooth inputs were the key ingredient for successfully negotiating such extreme turns and all of us figured that out quite quickly. It was like an auto cross of steroids! After four consecutive runs we stopped at the souvenir shops at the bottom of the run and tried to get our heart rates down and use the bathrooms! We then were guided by Kris to some other mountain roads that were not as tight but no less challenging for us to enjoy. Even the early morning trip over a mountain pass to get to the Dragon was great fun and a preview of what was to come! We stopped and had lunch during our tour of the area and finished up the day's events having supper together. I don't want to steal any of Kris's or Mike's thunder concerning our adventurers so I'll just say this beat any day at the track I've ever experienced! Saturday was a new adventure that led us into N. Carolina and some of Chris's favorite roads that just kept getting better! The grandeur of the mountains and rivers that ran parallel to some roads was just breathtaking. Moonshine run was one Kris knew and was just fantastic! The scenery was so stunning that part of me wanted to stop and take pictures about every mile, but the other part didn't want to miss the turns at speed and enjoy the engine and exhaust sounds that accompanied our drives! Hearing the pops and snaps of the exhaust was really entertaining! Especially that DCT exhaust sounds when dropping gears! Lots of tourist's were out in force on the mountainous roads so we were compelled to be satisfied with short runs of fun, before coming up on traffic. We were all surprised at how worn out we were at the end of both days! The weather was beautiful for both days and yesterday it finalized the day with a rain shower as we returned to the motel. Mike had to put his convertible top up!
We all had a great time and it provided an experience that will remain in my memory bank forever! It was a treat to finally meet Kris and Michael in person after years of forum communication only. They have both promised to attend Shelbyfest 2022 next Spring so many of our members will get the opportunity to meet them!
Kris went above and beyond in making this trip so memorable and fun for Myself, Mike and Gina. We just couldn't stop thanking him! I continue to be astounded at the caliber of people I have met on this forum and the friendships that resulted. Can't wait for another get together in the future!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
36,254 Posts
Yes, I am still alive! I've been off the grid since last Thursday evening!:eek: When I arrived and unpacked at the motel in Pigeon Forge, I found that I had brought my lap top but had left the laptop charger and electrical cord at home! Grrr! Most of you are familiar with my ineptitude when it comes to computers and cell phones, and trying to get my phone to connect with the forum was an exercise in futility! It's definitely different than my laptop! Tim just rolled his eyes (I suspect) when I told him on the phone! Anyway,... Mike, (Msirach) his lovely wife, Gina, and Kris (Fletchffletch) provided a great weekend of entertainment and laughter! Mike's wife was a real trooper and survived all the trips up and down the Tail of The Dragon without one complaint! Michael, she's a keeper!! We all arrived by Thursday evening and Friday morning Kris had us up and on our way to the fabled Tail of The Dragon with 318 corners to negotiate! It was early so the other cars and bikers had not yet fully descended upon the run. Needless to say, we had a good time running up and back the TOTD four times before traffic started to begin increasing. I've been on some mountain roads in the past, but this was far tighter and more challenging than anything I had ever experienced in the past! Speeds were kept reasonable due to the extremely tight corners and short distances between turns. I was in 2nd and third gear the whole time. I followed Kris in his new GT500 and was very impressed with his abilities and talent in picking a correct line in going through all the switchbacks and hairpin corners! I was convinced he'd been to some driving schools but he swore he had not! Maybe he missed his calling as a professional driver! Michael had to keep his exuberant drive in check due to the fact he could not afford a divorce at this stage in his life! His 2014 GT500 was always behind me! It was a real thrill being able to plumb some of the hidden abilities of the GT350 and I was simply amazed at how fantastic and well balanced the car was when I really pushed it to it's tire's and suspension's limits. The new 2020 GT500 received much of the GT350's suspension heritage and it really showed when I was following Kris. Smooth inputs were the key ingredient for successfully negotiating such extreme turns and all of us figured that out quite quickly. It was like an auto cross of steroids! After four consecutive runs we stopped at the souvenir shops at the bottom of the run and tried to get our heart rates down and use the bathrooms! We then were guided by Kris to some other mountain roads that were not as tight but no less challenging for us to enjoy. Even the early morning trip over a mountain pass to get to the Dragon was great fun and a preview of what was to come! We stopped and had lunch during our tour of the area and finished up the day's events having supper together. I don't want to steal any of Kris's or Mike's thunder concerning our adventurers so I'll just say this beat any day at the track I've ever experienced! Saturday was a new adventure that led us into N. Carolina and some of Chris's favorite roads that just kept getting better! The grandeur of the mountains and rivers that ran parallel to some roads was just breathtaking. Moonshine run was one Kris knew and was just fantastic! The scenery was so stunning that part of me wanted to stop and take pictures about every mile, but the other part didn't want to miss the turns at speed and enjoy the engine and exhaust sounds that accompanied our drives! Hearing the pops and snaps of the exhaust was really entertaining! Especially that DCT exhaust sounds when dropping gears! Lots of tourist's were out in force on the mountainous roads so we were compelled to be satisfied with short runs of fun, before coming up on traffic. We were all surprised at how worn out we were at the end of both days! The weather was beautiful for both days and yesterday it finalized the day with a rain shower as we returned to the motel. Mike had to put his convertible top up!
We all had a great time and it provided an experience that will remain in my memory bank forever! It was a treat to finally meet Kris and Michael in person after years of forum communication only. They have both promised to attend Shelbyfest 2022 next Spring so many of our members will get the opportunity to meet them!
Kris went above and beyond in making this trip so memorable and fun for Myself, Mike and Gina. We just couldn't stop thanking him! I continue to be astounded at the caliber of people I have met on this forum and the friendships that resulted. Can't wait for another get together in the future!
Outstanding! Thanks for the write up Mike. I wish I was closer and didn’t have conflicting events… it sounds like a great time!

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Wow! Thanks for the kind words Mike (01) Great write up and it mirrors my and my wife's feelings. Your professional stories and answers to her questions totally enthralled her.

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
870 Posts
I wish I was closer, sounds like fun.

Reactions: fletchffletch

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Tire Vehicle Wheel Land vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood
Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Grille
Car Land vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle

My wife and I just got back to the hotel to clean up for dinner tonight. We head home tomorrow. Yesterday it rained all day so we went to the Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley. Wow! I'm not a Harley fanboy, but that was well worth the effort. It's amazing to see so many old and rare bikes under one roof. Top three photos are from the runs on The Dragon Saturday and the Cherohala Skyway. The last photo is from the Blue Ridge Parkway.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,936 Posts
View attachment 223119

View attachment 223120 View attachment 223122 View attachment 223123

My wife and I just got back to the hotel to clean up for dinner tonight. We head home tomorrow. Yesterday it rained all day so we went to the Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley. Wow! I'm not a Harley fanboy, but that was well worth the effort. It's amazing to see so many old and rare bikes under one roof. Top three photos are from the runs on The Dragon Saturday and the Cherohala Skyway. The last photo is from the Blue Ridge Parkway
View attachment 223119

View attachment 223120 View attachment 223122 View attachment 223123

My wife and I just got back to the hotel to clean up for dinner tonight. We head home tomorrow. Yesterday it rained all day so we went to the Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley. Wow! I'm not a Harley fanboy, but that was well worth the effort. It's amazing to see so many old and rare bikes under one roof. Top three photos are from the runs on The Dragon Saturday and the Cherohala Skyway. The last photo is from the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Great pictures, guys! Love the thumbs up photo! Put it on the mantel! Glad you got to visit the museum! Have a safe and leisurely trip back home!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
36,254 Posts
Amazing pictures guys! 🤟

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,936 Posts
Amazing pictures guys! 🤟
I'm waiting for Kris to post up some video's he was taking! He's probably going to have to talk to that crazy airline pilot to figure out all the technology! 😄 For me, ignorance is bliss! Our two days of driving was over the top, and now I feel bored! Mowing is not a worthwhile substitute! Getting ready to wash the 350 after the rainy return trip home! Thanks again, Kris!

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
I'm waiting for Kris to post up some video's he was taking! He's probably going to have to talk to that crazy airline pilot to figure out all the technology! 😄 For me, ignorance is bliss! Our two days of driving was over the top, and now I feel bored! Mowing is not a worthwhile substitute! Getting ready to wash the 350 after the rainy return trip home! Thanks again, Kris!
I know what you mean. We just took a detour 70 miles from home. The trip this morning has been ffaaasstt. I'm glad I haven't even locked up....yet.

·
Super Moderator
2021 GT500 Iconic Silver
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Sorry for the delayed response. I was completely and utterly WIPED OUT on Sunday afternoon when I got home and it's been b's to the wall at work this week. I'm working on vids and pics and will get them up as I can. I'm heading out of town on Friday afternoon so it may be next week.

Suffice it to say, we had a blast! It was fantastic meeting Mike ( @03reptile ) and Mike ( @msirach ) face to face after all these years -- such GREAT guys! Running the roads with Mike and Mike was awesome -- was even more awesome building relationships w/ these two characters! :ROFLMAO: :p We covered a lot of ground in our two days -- I kept track of the mileage and we did a hair under 600 miles in two full, 10 hour days.

Both of these gentleman can DRIVE. Mike's GT350 with his black menacing car bra was a constant fixture in my rear view -- I couldn't shake him off! :p Seriously, both of these guys did awesome running the Dragon for the first time. I'm fortunate that I've been able to run it many times, so that helped me. I was glad I was able to lead them through the Dragon, as someone did for me many years ago. It really does help follow someone through so you can see the speed, the lines, etc.. Now, they are Dragon veterans and ready to lead the next group of guys on the forum through it. (y)

Count on a 2022 Dragon event of some sort. Let the planning begin!

As a side note, I was thoroughly impressed and pleased with my 2021 on the Dragon. DCT and paddle shifting is magic, and the brakes were awesome. Couldn't have been more pleased!!! Love my GT500!!!

·
Super Moderator
2021 GT500 Iconic Silver
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Here are some pics. Vids are going to take me longer!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2021 GT500 Iconic Silver
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
More…in front of Tapoco Lodge where we are lunch on Friday.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2021 GT500 Iconic Silver
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
More…at bottom of Fontana Dam.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2021 GT500 Iconic Silver
5,741 Posts