Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not sure what the technical description is of this part but it's that Black retainer that helps hold the cover to the inside of the tail lights inside the trunk.

As you all probably know that retainer isn't very substantial when it come to doing a good job holding the cover over the inside of the tail lights. I ordered ($8 each) a couple new replacements but in the meantime I thought I would experiment with the retainer that had stripped out threads.

I used a 2 part plastic Epoxy and filled the inside of the retainer and allow it to sit for a couple of days before drilling a 3/16" center hole into the filler. Installing the retainer I used the threaded stud on the back of the tail lights to self tap thread into the epoxy resin. It turned out to work better than I anticipated. I don't think I'll ever have to replace the retainers again. This isn't one of those rocket scientist idea but I thought I would share it with you anyhow.

NOTE: I forgot to add that a pilot hole should be drilled before using a 3/16" drill bit.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm not sure what the technical description is of this part but it's that Black retainer that helps hold the cover to the inside of the tail lights inside the trunk.

As you all probably know that retainer isn't very substantial when it come to doing a good job holding the cover over the inside of the tail lights. I ordered ($8 each) a couple new replacements but in the meantime I thought I would experiment with the retainer that had stripped out threads.

I used a 2 part plastic Epoxy and filled the inside of the retainer and allow it to sit for a couple of days before drilling a 3/16" center hole into the filler. Installing the retainer I used the threaded stud on the back of the tail lights to self tap thread into the epoxy resin. It turned out to work better than I anticipated. I don't think I'll ever have to replace the retainers again. This isn't one of those rocket scientist idea but I thought I would share it with you anyhow.

good job........I wasted my money on a set of new retainers, and they held up poorly. I believe they are actually for the ease of installation at the factory. I think they are just pushed on there for a speedy install, and screwed off....but really a one use setup.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
good job........I wasted my money on a set of new retainers, and they held up poorly. I believe they are actually for the ease of installation at the factory. I think they are just pushed on there for a speedy install, and screwed off....but really a one use setup.
I installed a set of Raxiom tail lights and that's when I discovered that one retainer was missing and the other one was not doing much good holding the cover in place. I was surprised when I removed the stock tail lights that the original owner had installed LED bulbs.

After initially making thread in the Epoxy filler I screw the retainer on and off about three (3) times and it seems to hold fairly well.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,693 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts