Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
08 Shelby GT500KR
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is this, I have a 08 Shelby GT500KR with the skaker 1000 I want to remove the current Raido and put in a OEM 08 Shelby Navigation radio, no aftermarket. If I dont care about loosing the trunk Subs will this be Plug and play install?
I have no Interest in Aftermarket, I understand fully that I could get allot better but it's not in my interest!

·
Registered
07 GT500
455 Posts
You can probably find a stock radio on Ebay but the navigation part is not that simple because of the antenna in on the trunk and you have to run the wire under the carpet to the trunk. Then depending if the radio was aftermarket did they cut the wires? that could be a issue. You didn't say what radio you currently have.

·
Registered
08 Shelby GT500KR
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I currently have the Factory shaker 1000 6disc non nav raido and the 1 I'm wanted to put in is a 08 Factory Navigation raido from a 08 GT500

·
Registered
335 Posts
You can probably find a stock radio on Ebay but the navigation part is not that simple because of the antenna in on the trunk and you have to run the wire under the carpet to the trunk. Then depending if the radio was aftermarket did they cut the wires? that could be a issue. You didn't say what radio you currently have.
not quite right. The antenna on the trunk is for XM radio, NOT nav. The nav antenna mounts behind the gauge cluster there’s already a bracket.

OP, yes it is plug and play, as long as you source an OEM Nav unit WITH nav antenna. Aftermarket / amazon nav antennas work as well!

you will lose your trunk sub as the OEM nav is a shaker 500 stereo-wise. You can just cap off those wires. Door subs will still work fine as will the rest of the speakers.

and back to the trunk antenna, that goes to an XM module IN the trunk. You won’t lose or gain functionality with the Nav swap. If it’s still it’ll still work

·
Registered
08 Shelby GT500KR
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually I do not have a Satelite mount in the car I'll have a navigation antenna mounted on dash

·
Registered
335 Posts
Actually I do not have a Satelite mount in the car I'll have a navigation antenna mounted on dash
Then yeah, nothing will change XM wise. You will need to mount the nav antenna UNDER the dash behind the cluster. Very easy to run that wire back to the rear of the headunit.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
38,373 Posts
My question is this, I have a 08 Shelby GT500KR with the skaker 1000 I want to remove the current Raido and put in a OEM 08 Shelby Navigation radio, no aftermarket. If I dont care about loosing the trunk Subs will this be Plug and play install?
I have no Interest in Aftermarket, I understand fully that I could get allot better but it's not in my interest!
Moved your thread here and changed the title.

·
Registered
2008 725 Super Snake
4,706 Posts
The 2008 was either/or but not both. the NAV was a Shaker 500 head without trunk sub, and the Shaker 1000 was with sub but no NAV..............I went through all of this when I bought my 2008 new for a Super Snake upgrade. There was no option for NAV and sub and the Shaker 500/NAV had no provision for the trunk sub.................Unless you find something different from Ford

The SAT Radio was completely different (Shaker 500/NAV or Shaker 1000/sub), SAT Radio came standard on the GT500 in 2007-2009, BUT, there was a No Charge "Delete Option" for 2007 and 2008 and a clean trunk lid with no SAT ant., 2009+ got that ugly hockey puck ant. on the trunk lid with no option to delete.

^^^^^^^All of that being said, I believe a Shaker 500/NAV head does plug-n-play to the Shaker 1000 harness, just no sub function..........BUT, I have never done it, I use my cell phone for NAV.......and am happy with the "thump" in the trunk........

R

·
Registered
2008 725 Super Snake
4,706 Posts
Another question to consider..........How does the oem 2007-2009 NAV get its map updates?? CD/DVD is already outdated/obsolete.......

^^^^That is the reason why way back in 2008 that I chose Shaker 1000 over Shaker 500/NAV, the NAV is worthless if you can't get current updates, and the cell phone updates always, or a Garmin........just a thought.........

R

·
Registered
335 Posts
Another question to consider..........How does the oem 2007-2009 NAV get its map updates?? CD/DVD is already outdated/obsolete.......

^^^^That is the reason why way back in 2008 that I chose Shaker 1000 over Shaker 500/NAV, the NAV is worthless if you can't get current updates, and the cell phone updates always, or a Garmin........just a thought.........

R
robert, yes it’s a DVD. And yes the latest map is obsolete. I put in the Nav not for the nav portion but for the touchscreen interface. Much nicer than the ugly green matrix display. Plus it’s nice to see roads up coming via the GPS etc without needing any updated maps

·
Registered
2008 725 Super Snake
4,706 Posts
robert, yes it’s a DVD. And yes the latest map is obsolete. I put in the Nav not for the nav portion but for the touchscreen interface. Much nicer than the ugly green matrix display. Plus it’s nice to see roads up coming via the GPS etc without needing any updated maps
Then I would (and have) purchased a touch screen head that looks oem'ish, but can update though WiFi. No need to install an obsolete NAV head just for a touch screen......and yes, it is not "exactly" oem looking, but it matches the 2007-2009 GT500 radio much closer than many heads out there and all controls are next to the driver.........plus the screen is a little bit larger (I think).......

^^^^^^and supposedly there are apps to connect the OBDII to the touch screen and see real time data, with a WiFi ODBII port plug.........

R

·
Registered
2008 725 Super Snake
4,706 Posts
.....................and the simple plug-n-play module to the ODBII port under the steering column to talk to the audio module..............

No it is not OEM, but it is updated from anything 14+ years ago and has a "OEM" appearance somewhat...............

R

·
Registered
08 Shelby GT500KR
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your information, I have decided to spend some money on a newer Nav/radio, after speaking with some Ford people they kinda changed my mind plus my better half keeps reminding me to go big or just leave it alone!

·
Registered
2008 725 Super Snake
4,706 Posts
Thanks for your information, I have decided to spend some money on a newer Nav/radio, after speaking with some Ford people they kinda changed my mind plus my better half keeps reminding me to go big or just leave it alone!
Yes, there is wayyyy better technology now 14+ years later, and If desired, the key is to get something as close to oem looking as possible so the average person (Mustang enthusiast) will think it is oem.......If you want the oem appearance......

If not, there are plenty of aftermarket radios that look nowhere near oem.....They are plentiful.......

R

·
Registered
2008 GT500
40 Posts
Then I would (and have) purchased a touch screen head that looks oem'ish, but can update though WiFi. No need to install an obsolete NAV head just for a touch screen......and yes, it is not "exactly" oem looking, but it matches the 2007-2009 GT500 radio much closer than many heads out there and all controls are next to the driver.........plus the screen is a little bit larger (I think).......

^^^^^^and supposedly there are apps to connect the OBDII to the touch screen and see real time data, with a WiFi ODBII port plug.........

R
What model is this headunit?

·
Registered
2008 725 Super Snake
4,706 Posts
What model is this headunit?
I believe this is the unit I bought at the 9.0 level.......

and another........

R

·
Registered
2018 GT350
2,533 Posts
Glad to see you're upgrading to something newer. A friend of mine was able to install the subs on his Navigation head unit with some custom wiring, but it still looked like he was getting his navigation from a casio calculator watch compared to modern units with android/apple auto

·
Registered
2008 725 Super Snake
4,706 Posts
Glad to see you're upgrading to something newer. A friend of mine was able to install the subs on his Navigation head unit with some custom wiring, but it still looked like he was getting his navigation from a casio calculator watch compared to modern units with android/apple auto
Lol!!

R

1 - 20 of 27 Posts