Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 97 Cobra and love it. Fortunately my son wants to buy it from me. But with the price of GT-500's dropping I am seriously considering a new SVT before the end of the year. I have just a couple of questions and would be grateful if anyone could help.

When I have been looking at some at the dealers and some pictures I noticed that some had plaques on the dash board. I thought that only the KR had the plaque.

I also noticed that on one picture the Shelby is across the entire back panel. Is this just one of the earlier ones?

What is the key to the VIN ID code that shows it is a real GT-500.

What is the best way to locate color and trim at the dealers? Is there a website out there that speeds the process.

Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,953 Posts
You are able to order the plaque from Shelby, and have it signed for a couple hundred dollars. (supports his childrens foundation I believe)

The Shelby across the back is only on the KR, but some people have modified theirs.

In the middle of the vin there will be an 88S or 89S coupe and convertible respectively.

As far as searching, that is half the fun :) ... No quick way I know of.

·
Registered
191 Posts
RedSnk,

I can't answer your questions, but I think its cool you're selling your Cobra to your son. My son is about a year away from driving, but he is buying my '04 Lightning... and I'm getting ready to buy a GT500 to replace it.

Good luck in your search. Now is the time to buy. I'm trying to work a deal for X-plan.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
sounds like that one you mentioned is a used one. I can't see dealers buying the dash plaque and changing the rear lettering. There are guys on here and teamshelby forum that are having to sell theirs. Check with them as well. You may get a better deal. And their modded so that'll save you some.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my 2011 GT500 in September. I immediately contacted the Shelby Foundation about getting a dash plaque. They told me that they are not available for the 2010-2011 models yet. The problem is the old plaque sat between the round a/c vents on the dash; those vents no longer exist and a new plaque has not yet been designed. They didn't know when the new ones would be available. The price on the old style plaques was $299 but the money went to the Shelby Children's Foundation.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2011 Shelby GT500
1,464 Posts
I enlisted the Help of Don Donelson...

http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2720

He found me a 2011 in the price range I was looking for, with the options I wanted just today as a matter of fact. He saved me alot of money...I suggest giving him a call. He will find the color combo, and options you want in or close to your area. I will be picking mine up sometimes mid-week. :)

Good luck

·
Registered
424 Posts
They have the new plaques available now for the 10 & the 11s. It sits in front of the shifter on the console, right under the radio where the microsoft tab is.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
The Shelby across the back is only on the KR, but some people have modified theirs.
That applied to the '08-'09 models. '10-'11 that's standard fare.

Also if anyone cares, you can now get the Shelby/SVT certs from Ford Performance Group for the '10 MY and '11 is soon to follow.

·
Registered
611 Posts
It is also across the back on the 40th Anniversary conversions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts