Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to lower my car and improve handling. Looking at the Eibach Pro System Plus or else their coilovers. What are the advantages/disadvantages of coilovers? Thanks in advance for the help- Charlie

·
Registered
85 Posts
You should be aware that just lowering the car with shocks and springs may not improve the handling. Without some additional changes the suspension geometry - especially with the McPherson strut front end on our cars - will be degraded and handling could actually be worse due to the change in suspension roll centers.
Talk to several manufacturers to see why they think their kit is 'the best'.
In my opinion, at a minimum you should also add caster / camber plates (or adjustable upper bearing plates (by Steeda for example)), lengthened ball joints (Steeda), probably a bumpsteer kit (though possibly not mandatory for small amounts of lowering in the opinion of some on this forum), and an adjustable Panhard bar or Watt's link (my preference) and an adjustable upper control arm at the rear.
It is possible you could get by with less than I suggest if you don't push the car too hard in your normal driving style. The impact of not adding some of these additional components might well not be apparent at first. Funky tire wear and unusual handling on less than perfect roads may take a while to become apparent.
All of this is your call. Get as much info as you can from folks that have already done these changes and lived with the car for several thousand miles.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Planning on doing J&M uppers and lowers first. Lowering is a little further down the road, but mainly wondering if coilovers are better than dampers and springs. Would also love to do the Saleen Watts link but its a little pricey, probably end up going with the Fayes.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Planning on doing J&M uppers and lowers first. Lowering is a little further down the road, but mainly wondering if coilovers are better than dampers and springs. Would also love to do the Saleen Watts link but its a little pricey, probably end up going with the Fayes.
Cheaper is not 'worse' as far as the Watts link is concerned. I chose the Fays2 because no welding was required, and I didn't have to replace the differential cover and risk leaks when the cover gets stressed during cornering. I think I recall there were some fitment issues with the Saleen Watts link (the differential cover in particular) and some brands of rear sway bars. Check me out on this last point - I'm pretty sure that's what I remember, but I don't want to steer anyone wrong with bum gouge. I made my decision and moved on. I remember there were several reasons, not just price to pick the Fays2. I don't own stock in Fays, by the way.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess the only thing that scared me away from the Fays was that it clamps to the axle tube. It seems as though everyone that has it loves it though. Obviously you're very happy with so I take it thaty there are no issues with the axle clamps? Thanks for your help/advice- Charlie

·
Registered
85 Posts
have had fays2 on for two years with no issues. very solid and works great. if you have any doubt, call Jim (the owner) directly and talk with him...he's a great guy.
Agree completely. I'm pretty sure that how Steeda attaches theirs too. I haven't looked closely at the Saleen unit lately, but I think it clamps on to the axle tube.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am new on here and I was wondering if anyone has put the eibach pro damper shocks and struts on there car. I have already put the pro spring kit on and love the stance and the difference in handleing is alot better, but I would like to have the car a little stiffer and was wondering if those are the best choice out there?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Agree completely. I'm pretty sure that how Steeda attaches theirs too. I haven't looked closely at the Saleen unit lately, but I think it clamps on to the axle tube.
Steeda clamps to tube

http://www.steeda.com/directions/555-2525_steeda_watts_linkage.pdf

Looking at the Saleen it sure looks like it only connects to the rear end cover, couldn't find any instructions but look at the pic

http://www.saleen.com/SC101_Services/SC101_Shopper/showItemDetail.php?itemDetailID=175

·
Registered
165 Posts
Coilovers always beat out springs. Now on the Shelby, we have "unique" suspension issues, so I cannot comment on those.

Coilovers are great because you're not "stuck" with an end result that you cannot live with. If you drop via springs, you get one level, and you'd better hope your daily driving can work with that. Have really big speed bumps in your neighborhood? Your town build like jackasses and create STEEEEP driveways everywhere? Springs may have lowered you too much for that. Perhaps the ride is unreasonably stiff with the springs... well, tough, you have to live with that because there is no adjustment.

Coilovers give you the chance to set your own ride height. Typically from just a touch higher than stock, to normally several inches lower... and any point in-between. If you drop it, and the car ends up a bit too low, you can give the knob a few twists... and raise it back up to a more practical level.

Traditionally you can set the stiffness to much softer ride than stock, or incredibly stiff... and all points in-between as well.

I have yet to mess with the suspension on my Shelby, but I have KW Var 2 coilovers on my SRT8 and I have been able to tune it to the exact ride height that works for my driving habits, and still has a mean lowered stance. I was also able to adjust the rake how I wanted it. I set them to a little stiffer than stock, so I got better handling, but it is still comfortable to ride in on a long road trip.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
I am new on here and I was wondering if anyone has put the eibach pro damper shocks and struts on there car. I have already put the pro spring kit on and love the stance and the difference in handleing is alot better, but I would like to have the car a little stiffer and was wondering if those are the best choice out there?
Hi, welcome to the forum...thought you might like this pic

Just havin some fun :rocket: Adjustable shocks might be your best bet if you already like the springs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts