Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Other (name it in thread)

Votes: 6 12.8%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First thing I've decided to do after getting the GT500 was to address the soft suspension on the car. Too much wiggle room there to be confident with corners.

After doing a bit of looking around...3 kits that seem to have caught my attention:

Eibach kit ~ $850

FRPP ~ $1800

Steeda ~$1500

Which would you all choose? Also, can anyone give me a heads up as to anything I might be missing here as well in terms of supporting mods? Any hidden costs or peripheral pieces that aren't readily apparent that I should be aware of?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I like the Ford Racing stuff, but my feeling is that the FR3 pack is too expensive (retail $1749) for what it is and that's mainly because of the shock/struts retail for $889; plus I don't really care for the strut tower brace. So my suggestion would be to purchase the parts individually springs, sway bars and get Tokico D-spec in lieu of the FR parts. The D-Specs are good parts but are not quite as pricey. The FR shocks/struts are made by Tokico, but they don't offer as much adjustment flexibility as the D-specs.

But if you can get the M-2007-FR3SVT handling pack for $1200 then that's a pretty good price.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'll be having H&R coilovers installed this Wednesday. I'll post after the install and give a review.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I had the FRPP Handling Pack installed and am very pleased with the result. Lowered stance and the handling/cornering is much improved. The rear end doesn't want to jump around nearly as much when you hit a bump now. Much better.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the FRPP Handling Pack installed and am very pleased with the result. Lowered stance and the handling/cornering is much improved. The rear end doesn't want to jump around nearly as much when you hit a bump now. Much better.
I heard some extra work had to be done to the car to get the FRPP handling pack on there. Did you have to do anything in terms of getting camber plates or that panhard thing?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
An adjustable panhard bar is a good idea if you lower the rear; it's used to recenter the axle relative to the chassis. Many folks say Camber plates are not needed, but I plan on installing them so the front end can be aligned if needed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I installed the FRPP package on mine and am very happy with the results and adjustability. Extra items I'd recommend are lower control arms, adjustable upper control arm with HD mount, adjustable panhard bar and HD panhard brace. I used CHE parts for these items.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I heard some extra work had to be done to the car to get the FRPP handling pack on there. Did you have to do anything in terms of getting camber plates or that panhard thing?
No, nothing extra. I had the dealership do the install. That way I kept my warranty and got a 12 month warranty on the installed parts.

The handling pack does shift the rear axle slightly to the left, whether by accident or design I don't know. If it bothers you you can pick up an adjustable panhard bar or a watts link to center it.

Unless the shop that aligned my front end after I had the handling pack installed lied to me, the front end can be aligned without camber plates. Find an alignment shop with a pit type alignment setup.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I should have my ebach coilovers on soon as they arrive. I got the Pro Street S set.
Going to be adding full BRM suspension other then the coilovers.

·
Registered
662 Posts
FFRP + J&M UCA's, LCA's & Adj panhard bar and camber plates....do it right. Go to www.hotparts.com

my 2 cents

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So here's the FRPP kit from Summit racing for $1500. It says 2007 but I'm sure its for 2007-2009.

I would think that in addition to this kit: camber plates (maybe), the watts or panhard bar, and technically a roll-center correction and bumpsteer kit (basically new ball joints and tie rod ends) would be necessary as well.

What necessitates the need for the upper and lower control arms? Is that for the wheel hop?

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
I have a 2010 and my local speed shop would only recommend to replace the factory springs with STEEDA springs. I wanted to replace the entire suspension but they talked me out of it. I will admit that the wheel hop is gone, the car is lowered and it seems to handle much differently.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
662 Posts
So here's the FRPP kit from Summit racing for $1500. It says 2007 but I'm sure its for 2007-2009.

I would think that in addition to this kit: camber plates (maybe), the watts or panhard bar, and technically a roll-center correction and bumpsteer kit (basically new ball joints and tie rod ends) would be necessary as well.

What necessitates the need for the upper and lower control arms? Is that for the wheel hop?
Yes...see the mods in the sig.:zlurking:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yes...see the mods in the sig.:zlurking:
With respect to your sig:

FRPP Handling Pack, J&M UCA, LCA's w/relocation brackets (welded in), Adj. Panhard Bar, and Adj. Camber Plates
The control arm brackets seem to retreive the proper angles after lowering in the rear, but what about the front? I'm curious why did you not address the roll center changes for the front after the car was lowered?

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,953 Posts
Steeda's position to me was, unless you're racing or really slamming the car, the front ball joints and control arm relocation is unnecessary.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Ah. Thanks for that information. Perhaps I should call them. In my EVO 9 that was a must have to help reduce the understeer due to the 60/40 weight split.

Even with a moderate lowering of the vehicle, the roll center will go below the ground increasing the tendency to understeer which to me is counterproductive to my goal. The ball joints and tie rod ends just help to eliminate unwanted byproducts of lowering the car. I figure too that because its the same price as the FRPP kit--that hey why not?

Not to mention that I treat the roads as my own personal race track on occasion...one turn at a time of course.

·
Registered
235 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Are these the ones you got Ray?

I am having troubles ordering my CO's so I may go with these but says for GT, not GT500's

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/i...x.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1286
Ray is here at Stillen having the H&R coilover setup and Eibach adjustable panhard bar installed right now. He also decided to add the Stillen adjustable front/rear swaybars while he was here. Ray's going to have a very good handling GT500 in an hour or two.

He also is running our Mintex Xtreme Motorsport pads in front, and our Stillen axle back exhaust. He can not only handle now, but he can also stop, and sound good doing it! :D

Dan

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ray is here at Stillen having the H&R coilover setup and Eibach adjustable panhard bar installed right now. He also decided to add the Stillen adjustable front/rear swaybars while he was here. Ray's going to have a very good handling GT500 in an hour or two.

He also is running our Mintex Xtreme Motorsport pads in front, and our Stillen axle back exhaust. He can not only handle now, but he can also stop, and sound good doing it! :D

Dan

Dan...do you have any input in terms of the plans for my build-up? Here's where things are going with it:

$1,550.00 Steeda stage 3 handling pack

$185.00 Rear UCA
$197.00 Rear LCA
$98.00 Rear LCA bracket
$115.00 Panhard Bar (OPT: Watts??)

Is this too much? Too little? Just right? I'm basically trying to match the handling of the car to the HP that it generates. I want to be able to carve corners as well as take it to the strip on occasion and while I like the comfort of the stock suspension, I don't mind a little more stiffness either. I hate body roll and I don't like dive and squat much either.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts