Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all you with aftermarket exhaust and one-piece drive shafts, did you have any suspension clearance issues?

I just had the AR LT headers, catted X-pipe, Magnaflow 3" cat-back and 3.5" aluminum DS with safety loops installed. My car is lowered slightly with the FRPP lowering springs (~1.5" drop).

Firstly, I already had to remove the rear DS safety loop because it was hitting the exhaust and making a hell of a rattle.

I still have a pretty serious metal-on-metal clunk when hitting bumps in the road and when backing out of my driveway. I didn't have the clunk before installing the exhaust and DS, so that's got to be the issue. Fred (Evo) suggested it's the front DS safety loop, but there seems to be plenty of clearance there.

Anyone else have any issues like this? Suggestions? Help! I've got 7 days to get this resolved.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
For all you with aftermarket exhaust and one-piece drive shafts, did you have any suspension clearance issues?

I just had the AR LT headers, catted X-pipe, Magnaflow 3" cat-back and 3.5" aluminum DS with safety loops installed. My car is lowered slightly with the FRPP lowering springs (~1.5" drop).

Firstly, I already had to remove the rear DS safety loop because it was hitting the exhaust and making a hell of a rattle.

I still have a pretty serious metal-on-metal clunk when hitting bumps in the road and when backing out of my driveway. I didn't have the clunk before installing the exhaust and DS, so that's got to be the issue. Fred (Evo) suggested it's the front DS safety loop, but there seems to be plenty of clearance there.

Anyone else have any issues like this? Suggestions? Help! I've got 7 days to get this resolved.

]For all you with aftermarket exhaust and one-piece drive shafts, did you have any suspension clearance issues?

Rick my car is not lowered but have 3" Kooks headers,Ford Racing mufflers(made by Borla) and a 3.5" aluminum DS.I have no issues.

I would check to make sure your exhaust is not loose,especially the mufflers.That is a common problem.Sometimes one of the pipes will hit if it is not fastened correctly.Good luck buddy.:bandit:

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I also have a front safety loop.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Also I would take it back to the installer and have them look for a witness mark where it is hitting.If you can't find one I would retorque all the poly bushings.UCA,LCA,Panhard rod etc.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Prez,
:thinkerg: Take car to a shop that has a drive on rack, (ie) alignment rack. A drive on rack gives a good view of this sort of issue. As you bounce the car on the rack, the issue should be evident.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Fred. The exhaust is very tight. That's the first thing I checked. This cluck is very solid...you can feel it in the seat and the shifter. I think I'll get under it and look for some marks this evening.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts

First . You cannot run a rear DS loop on this car unless it allows for the complete travel of the DS as the rear is lowered .( no one makes one that I know of that allows for this amount of travel) I don't have a rear DS loop on mine.
As far as the clunking is concerned I would check all the rear suspension attaching points and bushings. Make sure all are properly torqued and that the bushings are in good condition.
Then physically shake the exhaust to be sure it cannot make contact with anything as there is some allowable movement in the rubber mounts.

·
Registered
224 Posts
is the clunking at lower speeds (0-20) and not evident at higher speeds?

if it is lower speeds... I may have your solution, unless there are marks on the DS. =)

I'll second the not having a rear ds loop as well.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
is the clunking at lower speeds (0-20) and not evident at higher speeds?

if it is lower speeds... I may have your solution, unless there are marks on the DS. =)

I'll second the not having a rear ds loop as well.
Clunk occurs at any speed.

·
Registered
140 Posts
What hoop do you have Rick? You don't need the back hoop, it's for the 2 piece shaft.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What hoop do you have Rick? You don't need the back hoop, it's for the 2 piece shaft.
I got the loops from Evo. I already pulled the rear one off.

Fred suggested the front loop is the problem. If that's the case, why the
did he sell them to me? He knows the car is lowered...I bought the suspension from him.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I got the loops from Evo. I already pulled the rear one off.

Fred suggested the front loop is the problem. If that's the case, why the
did he sell them to me? He knows the car is lowered...I bought the suspension from him.
No doubt! It could be the exaust hitting the loop, I know there some adjustment in the exaust hopefully an easy fix. I'm pretty sure it's not the driveshaft hitting the BMR hoop, there's not alot of movement from the shaft at this end. Hopefully it was install correctly. Let me know if you need to borrow the lift:)

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No doubt! It could be the exaust hitting the loop, I know there some adjustment in the exaust hopefully an easy fix. I'm pretty sure it's not the driveshaft hitting the BMR hoop, there's not alot of movement from the shaft at this end. Hopefully it was install correctly. Let me know if you need to borrow the lift:)
Actually, now that you mention it, I could use your lift. Scott P. is moving his shop and his lift is not set up yet. You doing anything tonight?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The source of the clunk has been found. My local Big O Tire let me ue their alignment rack.

1. The x-pipe is hitting the front safety loop.
2. Also, the side of the differential is hitting the exhaust

Hopefully there is enough adjustment left in the exhaust to create some clearance.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The source of the clunk has been found. My local Big O Tire let me ue their alignment rack.

Hopefully there is enough adjustment left in the exhaust to create some clearance.
This is good news.

I hope you get it to clear. You have a long drive to WA State.:banana_hitit:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Actually, now that you mention it, I could use your lift. Scott P. is moving his shop and his lift is not set up yet. You doing anything tonight?
Sorry Rick I didn't see your post, I took some drugs and must have passeed out! Sent PM

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts

Thats great you found it.:bandit:

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Well folks, I'm happy to say the Shelby is now clunk free!!! And it only took one trip to the emergency room.

I decided to tackle the project myself last night. I got her up on jack stands and went to work. The original install turned out to be quite a mess. The x-pipe was so tightly pressed up against the front safety loop that the loop was being pushed up about a 1/2 inch. Fortunately, there was enough adjustment to slide the x-pipe back about an inch. I then had to move the cat-back forward to give it more clearance over the differential. In order to do that I had to cut about an inch off the cat-back. This is where it got ugly. I got my cutting wheel out and my safety glasses. The cuts went just fine until the very end. I was at an awkward angle, and a rather large quantity of metal shavings shot up under my safety glasses right into my eye. I highly recommend y'all avoid doing this. It's not pleasant. I finished up the job and headed off the the emergency room before the metal started to rust. The doc dug around in my eye with a cotton swab. I had one large chunk of steel and a large amount of steel powder mixed in that he flushed out with saline. He said my cornea is a torn up mess. He was kind of amazed I could still see. Well, if you can't do it right, don't do it at all, I guess. Eh? :cowtounge: On the plus side, I got a large quantity of Percocet out of the deal.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Well folks, I'm happy to say the Shelby is now clunk free!!! And it only took one trip to the emergency room.

I decided to tackle the project myself last night. I got her up on jack stands and went to work. The original install turned out to be quite a mess. The x-pipe was so tightly pressed up against the front safety loop that the loop was being pushed up about a 1/2 inch. Fortunately, there was enough adjustment to slide the x-pipe back about an inch. I then had to move the cat-back forward to give it more clearance over the differential. In order to do that I had to cut about an inch off the cat-back. This is where it got ugly. I got my cutting wheel out and my safety glasses. The cuts went just fine until the very end. I was at an awkward angle, and a rather large quantity of metal shavings shot up under my safety glasses right into my eye. I highly recommend y'all avoid doing this. It's not pleasant. I finished up the job and headed off the the emergency room before the metal started to rust. The doc dug around in my eye with a cotton swab. I had one large chunk of steel and a large amount of steel powder mixed in that he flushed out with saline. He said my cornea is a torn up mess. He was kind of amazed I could still see. Well, if you can't do it right, don't do it at all, I guess. Eh? :cowtounge: On the plus side, I got a large quantity of Percocet out of the deal.
Glad you're now clunk free. I know what you went through with the eye. Been there, done that. Now I try to use a full face sheild and goggles when grinding.:bandit:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts