Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2008 Vista Blue
297 Posts
I realize this doesn't specifically apply to this link, but every time I read something like this I end up pulling out my soapbox and ranting....so my apologies in advance

/rant:

I've always been AMAZED by State Farm Insurance and their commercials where they say, 'hey, put this driving monitor in your car and we can lower your insurance rates if you don't do anything'. I mean really, people think this is a good idea???? Imagine if our government had said 20 years ago, 'we are going to impliment a new law where we force everyone to carry a device that monitors your location 100% of the time.' People would have lost their friggin MINDS. But guess what, we actually are doing it because that is exactly what your CELL PHONES do!!! I'm never going to willingly volunteer to put something in my car that can 'watch' the way I drive, and use that data to decide how much my insurance should cost. There ware WAY too many variables that can and do affect daily driving that are completely out of the drivers control (slamming on your brakes because someone cuts you off, pulls out in front of you, etc). Why in the heck would I let them use that information to possibly punish me for it? They must be crazy.....yet people do sign up for it willingly.

We have monitors like this in our city ambulances. I get that most people don't see any issue with such a monitor, but the public has NO IDEA how often emergency vehicles get cut off and ignored running hot to a call. I've had people flip me off, cut me off, turn thru an intersection and across my path as I'm approaching in a huge FD Ladder truck on a call, all the while not a care in the world that I'm responding to an emergency situation with red lights and a siren cranked so loud its deafening. No one gives a S#@T. Its amazing. Well.....that is unless its someone near and dear to THEM, then its 'what took you so long?'.

I've gotten out of way more then my share of tickets simply because I'm a fire fighter. I've NEVER asked for it, nor volunteer that information, but it does eventually come up (I do have firefighter plates on the two vehicles I typically drive). If I get a ticket, I get a ticket. I'm always respectful and apologetic for whatever I did to get pulled over, so I do believe that my attitude has something to do with it as well. That being said, when I was 17 and driving back and forth between college and home on the occasional weekend, I got pulled over once and most definitely got a ticket. The first thing the policeman said to me was he knew he was going to give me a ticket because he clocked me in the pitch black (so I had no visual on his car), yet as soon as the radar went off, I slowed down immediately, so he knew I had a radar detector. He said that alone guaranteed I'd get a ticket where otherwise I might have only got a warning. I got rid of the detector that day and have never used one since.

That being said, I wish my state would ticket the crap out of people who hang out in the fast lane driving the same or slower then people in the left lane....for no apparant reason other then they dont give a crap despite more and more cars lining up behind them. I don't agree with road rage, but I can totally understand it. That kind of driving ends up causing drivers to get more and more pissed off and end up passing those cars on the left (supposedly be illegal, but definitely more dangerous). My state says even if your speeding, if you have cars behind you and you are impeeding traffic, you are to move over to the slower lane to let people by, yet most seem to think its their personal responsibility to keep people from driving too fast. And State Farm could hike my rates because of some idiot doing that and I'm just trying to get home? No way.

sorry, /rantoff :p

·
Premium Member
2008 Metalic Vista Blue Convertible
5,628 Posts
Best deterrent I ever had has been the Lisc. plates...
I've been 'stopped' 3-4 times in the past five years, nothing but a 'warning'... when they walk away they always say, "...just slow it down a bit and thanks for your Service"...
Purple Heart plates on three cars, and Silver Star plates on another. Seems to work without me saying a word !

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,346 Posts
G
I've been 'stopped' 3-4 times in the past five years, nothing but a 'warning'... when they walk away they always say, "...just slow it down a bit and thanks for your Service"...
Purple Heart plates on three cars, and Silver Star plates on another. Seems to work without me saying a word !
Given what you went through, you deserve that break at the very least!

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,346 Posts
I realize this doesn't specifically apply to this link, but every time I read something like this I end up pulling out my soapbox and ranting....so my apologies in advance

/rant:

I've always been AMAZED by State Farm Insurance and their commercials where they say, 'hey, put this driving monitor in your car and we can lower your insurance rates if you don't do anything'. I mean really, people think this is a good idea???? Imagine if our government had said 20 years ago, 'we are going to impliment a new law where we force everyone to carry a device that monitors your location 100% of the time.' People would have lost their friggin MINDS. But guess what, we actually are doing it because that is exactly what your CELL PHONES do!!! I'm never going to willingly volunteer to put something in my car that can 'watch' the way I drive, and use that data to decide how much my insurance should cost. There ware WAY too many variables that can and do affect daily driving that are completely out of the drivers control (slamming on your brakes because someone cuts you off, pulls out in front of you, etc). Why in the heck would I let them use that information to possibly punish me for it? They must be crazy.....yet people do sign up for it willingly.

We have monitors like this in our city ambulances. I get that most people don't see any issue with such a monitor, but the public has NO IDEA how often emergency vehicles get cut off and ignored running hot to a call. I've had people flip me off, cut me off, turn thru an intersection and across my path as I'm approaching in a huge FD Ladder truck on a call, all the while not a care in the world that I'm responding to an emergency situation with red lights and a siren cranked so loud its deafening. No one gives a S#@T. Its amazing. Well.....that is unless its someone near and dear to THEM, then its 'what took you so long?'.

I've gotten out of way more then my share of tickets simply because I'm a fire fighter. I've NEVER asked for it, nor volunteer that information, but it does eventually come up (I do have firefighter plates on the two vehicles I typically drive). If I get a ticket, I get a ticket. I'm always respectful and apologetic for whatever I did to get pulled over, so I do believe that my attitude has something to do with it as well. That being said, when I was 17 and driving back and forth between college and home on the occasional weekend, I got pulled over once and most definitely got a ticket. The first thing the policeman said to me was he knew he was going to give me a ticket because he clocked me in the pitch black (so I had no visual on his car), yet as soon as the radar went off, I slowed down immediately, so he knew I had a radar detector. He said that alone guaranteed I'd get a ticket where otherwise I might have only got a warning. I got rid of the detector that day and have never used one since.

That being said, I wish my state would ticket the crap out of people who hang out in the fast lane driving the same or slower then people in the left lane....for no apparant reason other then they dont give a crap despite more and more cars lining up behind them. I don't agree with road rage, but I can totally understand it. That kind of driving ends up causing drivers to get more and more pissed off and end up passing those cars on the left (supposedly be illegal, but definitely more dangerous). My state says even if your speeding, if you have cars behind you and you are impeeding traffic, you are to move over to the slower lane to let people by, yet most seem to think its their personal responsibility to keep people from driving too fast. And State Farm could hike my rates because of some idiot doing that and I'm just trying to get home? No way.

Gad Bryan, we are SO on the same page!! I too rant at the TV when that State Farm Orwellian commercial comes on! really? Not in my lifetime! We already have a black-box in our modern cars that records all sorts of vehicular performance data. In emergency responses, I ALWAYS experienced the same thing when responding red light and siren. You think you've got idiots in Missouri, you should try it right next to D.C.!! It's a breeding ground for non-driving, incompetent drivers. One of the reasons I love visiting Germany is driving on the various autobahns. No left lane bandits there and people actually know how to drive! Then I return to Dulles Airport, drive back home on the beltway, and have an irrefutable confirmation of why we have such a horrible licensing and driver training system in this country. We could spend hours talking about this! LOL!

·
Premium Member
5,628 Posts
The worse of all hell holes to drive in... BOSTON !!!

Good Lord I hate that place, I was having to go there at least twice a year, it is horrid.

DC and LA are bad due to the amount of traffic. Did not like DC, I spent quite a bit of time in and out of the Pentagon, the problem was staying way out and having to drive in each day!

·
Registered
2008 Vista Blue
297 Posts
Gad Bryan, we are SO on the same page!! I too rant at the TV when that State Farm Orwellian commercial comes on! really? Not in my lifetime! We already have a black-box in our modern cars that records all sorts of vehicular performance data. In emergency responses, I ALWAYS experienced the same thing when responding red light and siren. You think you've got idiots in Missouri, you should try it right next to D.C.!! It's a breeding ground for non-driving, incompetent drivers. One of the reasons I love visiting Germany is driving on the various autobahns. No left lane bandits there and people actually know how to drive! Then I return to Dulles Airport, drive back home on the beltway, and have an irrefutable confirmation of why we have such a horrible licensing and driver training system in this country. We could spend hours talking about this! LOL!
I don't enjoy hearing you have to deal with it as well, but I must admit, its nice knowing its not just 'me'. LOL.

One time my wife and I bought a car from her dad, who lived in Florida at the time. So we fly down there and pay him for the car and head back to Missouri over the course of two days. We head back north to Atlanta, and then head west from there, and I swear.....the ENTIRE time we drove, we were surrounded by some of the most courtious drivers I've ever seen. Always in the right lane unless passing, and if passing in the left lane, right back to the right lane once the pass was completed, not to mention signs all over the place every mile or two reminding people to stay to the left unless passing slower traffic. I was AMAZED until.....we crossed the Illinois state line into Missouri. We weren't 10' inside the state line before we were surrounded by a crowd of 'a$$hole drivers' totally incapable of any semblance of courteous driving (dont even get me started on drivers who use their phone cars, but wont do it via bluetooth and instead still have them held against their head with one hand and a cigarette in the other...OMG). So, we dealt with that for the remaining four hours of our drive. I think it ended up being about a 17 hour drive all told. And I'm telling you, those last four were hands down the worst part. I constantly remind my wife of that drive when we talk about doing any cross country driving.

As a small side note, its usually inevitable that I get at least a 'little' irritated driving. So the running joke around my house is 'how many days can dad drive before flipping someone off' (which I legitimately try not to do and not something I'm proud of), but sometimes you just gotta wonder if they actually took a test to get a license or what..

·
Premium Member
2019 Bullitt 2017 GT350 2020 GT500(ordered)
62 Posts

/rant:

Well put!!!!

·
Premium Member
2019 Bullitt 2017 GT350 2020 GT500(ordered)
62 Posts
Man.... Thank you for your service! With those Decorations you have been in a Shit Storm or Two..... Again thanks for you sacrifice. Enjoy Memorial Day as we remember our buds that gave it all......

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,346 Posts
I don't enjoy hearing you have to deal with it as well, but I must admit, its nice knowing its not just 'me'. LOL.

One time my wife and I bought a car from her dad, who lived in Florida at the time. So we fly down there and pay him for the car and head back to Missouri over the course of two days. We head back north to Atlanta, and then head west from there, and I swear.....the ENTIRE time we drove, we were surrounded by some of the most courtious drivers I've ever seen. Always in the right lane unless passing, and if passing in the left lane, right back to the right lane once the pass was completed, not to mention signs all over the place every mile or two reminding people to stay to the left unless passing slower traffic. I was AMAZED until.....we crossed the Illinois state line into Missouri. We weren't 10' inside the state line before we were surrounded by a crowd of 'a$$hole drivers' totally incapable of dling anything outside of driving like idiots (dont even get me started on phone usage in cars...OMG). So, we dealt with that for the remaining four hours of our drive. I think it ended up being about a 17 hour drive all told. And I'm telling you, those last four were hands down the worst part. I constantly remind my wife of that drive when we talk about doing any cross country driving.

As a small side note, its usually inevitable that I get at least a 'little' irritated driving. So the running joke around my house is 'how many days can dad drive before flipping someone off' (which I legitimately try not to do and not something I'm proud of), but sometimes you just gotta wonder if they actually took a test to get a license or what..
I checked the dates you traveled and a large group of Germans were visiting Florida by car and were on their way to Atlanta on the day you traveled. Mystery solved! 🤣 🤣! I've experienced the same anomaly for short periods of time on interstates, but unfortunately, it doesn't last.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,346 Posts
Man.... Thank you for your service! With those Decorations you have been in a Shit Storm or Two..... Again thanks for you sacrifice. Enjoy Memorial Day as we remember our buds that gave it all......
Ken, to my knowledge, is the most highly decorated veteran on the entire forum. He's my hero!

·
Registered
2008 Vista Blue
297 Posts
Mike, I am not a hero. The Hero's are what today is for, to be honored and remembered.

I just got in the way a lot.

Ken
RLTW

View attachment 200733
I threw alot of you guys out of the back of my 141 over the years - including a little op in Panama - true professionals!

Thank you both for your service (and any others on the site).

Memorial Day 007.jpg

I added this pic in Goose's thread, but wanted to post here as well. I carved this a number of years ago to display in my collection,in honor of those who have served.

·
Premium Member
5,628 Posts
I threw alot of you guys out of the back of my 141 over the years - including a little op in Panama - true professionals!
Thanks, from/for the guys that took the rides.

...did you ever think, we just jumped out for fear to avoid a bad landing !!! LoL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts