Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500, 18K, Suspension & Brakes all upgraded, engine
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I’ve got an 08’ GT500 with 17K on it, Black/Alloy stripes and i’m am seeking out the best bang for the buck (preferably no “Bangs”), 4.10’s are going in, as well as Kooks LongTubes.
Now, it’s simply a stout McLeod Clutch & Flywheel, Pypes exhaust, BAMA Tune, Ford performance dual butterfly 130mm TB, Catch Cans, JLT CAI and some front and more emphasis on rear Suspension work, carbon fiber driveshaft & dropped 1” in the rear, 1/2” up front, zerk fitted Poly control arms, adjustable Panhard, all toolsteel fasteners front & rear, basics like that.
I know Ford offered a factory upgrade CARB legal (live in Mass) Supercharger kit that was a 80-120BHP upgrade from stock, can’t remember who made it- or its part #, but is that upgrade worth it for starters- or a waste of resources? Any idea what the kit, actual output was, any Ford tuning required?
As mentioned, I’m seeking 600-650RWHP with a good, solid tune yet keeping it reliable, was wondering if something proven that really sticks out to meet those goals as a kit? I realize the stock intercooler will likely have to go, fuel in-line boost Pump, and all the extra’s.. Tuning options?
Car never sees Winter, nor below 35 Degrees for that matter, generally up on stands- covered..
On an article from 2011, I’d noted a 2010 owner wanting to snap the rears loose in 4th, mine already does this- not the ideal goal as it gets a little hairy snapping loose at those speeds, running the mild parts mentioned, a stock Eaton with a 2.625” upper pulley & good tensioner. Runs Goodyear Supercar 315’s out back, soon to be Nitto555G2’s. Reserve 15/315 Hoosier stickies for playtime, cruise nights.
Any thoughts on which would be the best direction to go, I recall KB had a kit meant to go on a 100% bone stock 5.4,GT50 VMG be the best route in both feasibility for the Car (without twisting it into a pretzel), have boltup stabilizers, but for the performance range I’m seeking and best Cost & reliability?
Buddy of mine dropped a KB on his and he’s still running 10.8’s @ 126, 56K on it, with normal (aggressive) maintenance, he’s lost a Driveshaft, and a Clutch (was looped & had a scattershield), all else good. Pretty stock aside from the timing set, oil pump, KB, Tires/Rims & hood (and mandated accessories).
Any tips or what you offer would be very helpful, looking for suggestions..
Thanks!
Jon

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,546 Posts
You could try to locate a FRPP ( M-6066-MSVT29C ) kit, should be 50 state legal, get you close to what you're looking for, rated @ 725 ( crank ) hp..

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,595 Posts
Ford's supercharger kits, with E.O.s, have been out of production for years and the only ones you might find will be used. Any kit that has an executive order will have a tune that was certified with the rest of the components and any substitutes for tune or components would no longer be covered under the exemption. I think you can still get 50 state legal kits from Kenne Bell and Whipple, but I've never lookied into it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
i have a 1st gen TVS supercharger on my car, 08 bullitt mustang 4.6 W/ DOB intake to use the supercharger on a 3V motor. it was purchased from Ford racing in late 2007 i think. i has a Ford racing nameplate on it. i would assume this is what you are looking for.
i don't think it's any different than any other 1st gen TVS other than the ford racing nameplate on it.

i don't know the emissions laws in your state, but why couldn't you install a trinity from a 13-14 car? it should be 50 state legal because it was sold as a OEM part on 13-14 cars and they were 50 state legal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could try to locate a FRPP ( M-6066-MSVT29C ) kit, should be 50 state legal, get you close to what you're looking for, rated @ 725 ( crank ) hp..
Thanks for that, I appreciate it!
I did find some with that P/N, are they really no longer produced? Thought they’d make a sub of some sort..?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Being in Mass., we’re subject to CARB laws, almost as bad as Cali, they won’t really look at casting I/D’s as CA may, but if there’s a Tune that’s not EO certified- they’ll scan for it, find it & fail you instantly.
1 along 2...Below is the Supercharger you’d meant-correct? Catmonkey...It’s appears it currently dated 2020 at the bottom, mentions it’s 50 State Exemption legal... I’ll call on Monday or Tuesday & see what they say. For just under 7K with adding a booster pump & a few other essentials, not ridiculous.. do you agree?

If exhaust is any louder than stock- they may fail you.

Mass is beginning to pipeline entire inspections on Camera recorded to the RMV, so if there’s a suspected issue during inspection, or you modify an emission system once you get a sticker they can go back and look at the data- and fine you or the inspection station.
Hope this works out somehow, lol!!
Thanks, Guys!

·
Premium Member
7,595 Posts
1 along 2...Below is the Supercharger you’d meant-correct? Catmonkey...It’s appears it currently dated 2020 at the bottom, mentions it’s 50 State Exemption legal... I’ll call on Monday or Tuesday & see what they say. For just under 7K with adding a booster pump & a few other essentials, not ridiculous.. do you agree?
No, Ford Racing's kit used a Whipple supercharger and Whipple's MAF, but it's not the same "kit" that is sold by Whipple today, which I believe has an E.O. But it's just as expensive. While that site doesn't show the FRPP as out-of-stock, I can almost assure you they can't deliver it. It's been sold out for a few years now. Ford would rather sell you a new 760 hp GT500 than support the previous generation.

In looking at Whipple's website, it doesn't appear their kit is certified. I hear conflicting things, so you might have to call and ask them. Maybe they were at one time and quit chasing ongoing requirements, I can't say. I'm not impacted by emissions yet, so it doesn't impact me.... not yet anyway.

The problem with most O.E. systems is the components they use in the certification are all part of the system. The TVS kit came with it's own tune, but it used no other aftermarket components. Even a pulley change is considered problematic unless it's certified for more than one pulley. Ford sold a Trinity TVS and 65mm throttle body kit, but they did not have it certified. It was sold and labeled as off road use.

I think most of the FRPP Whipple kits were in the range of 625 rwhp in its "as delivered" condition. Tuner's are able to get more out of it, but tuning defeats the E.O. certification.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Pro Edge in CT is a very experienced tuner. He specializes in GT500's & I'd bet he can turn off certain ECU parameters of could advise you on how much HP can be made under MA emissions.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Being in Mass., we’re subject to CARB laws, almost as bad as Cali, they won’t really look at casting I/D’s as CA may, but if there’s a Tune that’s not EO certified- they’ll scan for it, find it & fail you instantly.
Thanks, Guys!
The reason tunes fail / get rejected in Ca. is because of how the non OEM tune is built.
...................." The tuner has to use the original As Built PCM strategy code. "

·
Premium Member
7,595 Posts
The reason tunes fail / get rejected in Ca. is because of how the non OEM tune is built.
That's not how it works. You may have tune that is compliant with all emission standards applicable to your year model, but unless you've gone through the certification process to get a California Air Research Board Executive Order on your part, kit or tune, your car will not pass emissions. You have to prove to the C.A.R.B., through third party testing, that your component complies with whatever emissions your car was required to have in original production. If C.A.R.B. agrees, it will issue an E.O. number that to show that the part complies. It's an expensive process and as long as the majority of states don't adopt C.A.R.B. standards in some way shape or form, a lot of performance parts are not likely to go through the certification process. How they regulate it, I don't know. If the system can be tricked, I don't know that either. I would talk to performance shops in your area what the rules of the game are and what works and what doesn't.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts

.......................................The above was posted on another site, & the reason Ca. doesn't recognize / won't pass the aftermarket tune is because of how the tune was built. It really does matter who & how your car gets tuned..

·
Premium Member
7,595 Posts
No, it means the PCM didn't correlate to a certificated calibration in their database. Google the Executive Order process that C.A.R.B. uses to exempt aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
No, it means the PCM didn't correlate to a certificated calibration in their database. Google the Executive Order process that C.A.R.B. uses to exempt aftermarket parts.
As I stated in post # 9,............. The tuner has to use the original As Built PCM strategy code. "

·
Premium Member
7,595 Posts
As I stated in post # 9,............. The tuner has to use the original As Built PCM strategy code. "
Yeah, whatever. It's like posting to a post. For your information, ALL TUNES begin with the "as built" PCM strategy code. You think tunes are written from scratch?

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Yeah, whatever. It's like posting to a post. For your information, ALL TUNES begin with the "as built" PCM strategy code. You think tunes are written from scratch?
You seem annoyed, I'm giving you the answer my tuner gave as to why " tuned " cars are failing in Ca. When I contacted him, he was already involved " fixing " tunes that won't pass out west. He also mentioned that if where I live. ( N.J. ), goes to a similar system, I wouldn't have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks a lot for the replies, everybody. I much appreciate it! Lot to think about. I did get to speak to a few places that- as was correctly identified from the onset that Whipple hasn’t made that kit i was seeking in years, and one spot tried to convince me to buy a used one without any guarantees nor assurances in writing that a kit would pass a Mass. inspection.
One seemingly honest distributor suggested I speak to Whipple directly. Took a few days- weekend and all, I’d have an eyebrow raised with any reputable business not honoring Labor Day weekend.
So, today- I received a response from Whipple. There’s a few kits available, some are only basic bolt-ons with exemption. The 50 state legal Whipple 2.9l kit (2007’-2010‘) and legality is intertwined with boost being limited to 16lbs, but capable of 25lbs. (My poor stock Eaton is running at warp 10 with it’s 2.5” VMG upper Pulley). Yikes isn’t the word(!)
Stock damper also had a crack in it. Felt a tiny shake in the car- 2,00-2,200 RPM’s, fortunately I pursued that.
So, have some tuning questions, and how their procedures actually work, Crosscheck and see if the research I’ve done all lines up, Also, what guarantees i have the motors going to be quite “happy” with the tuning- if not, then what occurs...(?) Datalog & Modify?
So, they made an appointment to have the tuning Dep’t call me tomorrow to answer any questions I have. That’s OK. I’d rather have every bit of info on this, price is rising rather quite quickly, I’m overkilling things a bit, but I am doing all I can to setup this correctly to avoid any oversights.. I’ll also have more exact RWHP/TQ figures as well.
I’ll keep you all posted on what occurs so if someone else in a situation like mine has a little bit if an easier time with the same.
Thanks again!!
Jon

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
34,235 Posts
Thanks a lot for the replies, everybody. I much appreciate it! Lot to think about. I did get to speak to a few places that- as was correctly identified from the onset that Whipple hasn’t made that kit i was seeking in years, and one spot tried to convince me to buy a used one without any guarantees nor assurances in writing that a kit would pass a Mass. inspection.
One seemingly honest distributor suggested I speak to Whipple directly. Took a few days- weekend and all, I’d have an eyebrow raised with any reputable business not honoring Labor Day weekend.
So, today- I received a response from Whipple. There’s a few kits available, some are only basic bolt-ons with exemption. The 50 state legal Whipple 2.9l kit (2007’-2010‘) and legality is intertwined with boost being limited to 16lbs, but capable of 25lbs. (My poor stock Eaton is running at warp 10 with it’s 2.5” VMG upper Pulley). Yikes isn’t the word(!)
Stock damper also had a crack in it. Felt a tiny shake in the car- 2,00-2,200 RPM’s, fortunately I pursued that.
So, have some tuning questions, and how their procedures actually work, Crosscheck and see if the research I’ve done all lines up, Also, what guarantees i have the motors going to be quite “happy” with the tuning- if not, then what occurs...(?) Datalog & Modify?
So, they made an appointment to have the tuning Dep’t call me tomorrow to answer any questions I have. That’s OK. I’d rather have every bit of info on this, price is rising rather quite quickly, I’m overkilling things a bit, but I am doing all I can to setup this correctly to avoid any oversights.. I’ll also have more exact RWHP/TQ figures as well.
I’ll keep you all posted on what occurs so if someone else in a situation like mine has a little bit if an easier time with the same.
Thanks again!!
Jon
So... Whipple still has supercharger kits and tunes that are 50 state emissions legal...? I am running the Ford Racing 2.9L Whipple kit from years back with Ford’s Procal tune. My understanding is the blower was obviously supplied by Whipple, but the tune was a product of Ford. Does Whipple currently have emissions friendly tunes?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You seem annoyed, I'm giving you the answer my tuner gave as to why " tuned " cars are failing in Ca. When I contacted him, he was already involved " fixing " tunes that won't pass out west. He also mentioned that if where I live. ( N.J. ), goes to a similar system, I wouldn't have anything to worry about.
Thanks a lot for the detailed information and I really do appreciate your taking the time to reach out to the tuner, it’ll be one of the questions I’ll be confronting Whipple’s tuning team with. I’m confronted with working some unusual hours and don’t have much leverage in modifying them. I wasn’t trying to be insensitive to your helpful replies to my queries.
Everyone’s been remarkably helpful and I consider myself exceptionally fortunate in that capacity.
Thanks again for all your guidance!
Respectfully,
Jon

·
Premium Member
7,595 Posts
I guess there are two different concepts here. Parts, in this case a supercharger kit, that can be legally installed because it has a valid exemption and parts that aren't exempt. While C.A.R.B. standards have been adopted by several other states, those states will have different administration of the program and non-compliant vehicles. You really need to find someone familiar with what you can and can't get away with in the state the car will be licensed, and not random guys on the internet, me included. If it has an E.O., it's a no brainer, your parts have already been cerfitied to be compliant. A tune certified with a kit is not likely to be altered and still be compliant, so I think it's going to be a case of all-or-nothing. But I would not expect it to need revision, either. The biggest feature of that kit is likely a twin screw blower that is world's better than the M series that resides on the car. I'd be curious to know what throttle body comes with Whipple's 50 state legal kit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So... Whipple still has supercharger kits and tunes that are 50 state emissions legal...? I am running the Ford Racing 2.9L Whipple kit from years back with Ford’s Procal tune. My understanding is the blower was obviously supplied by Whipple, but the tune was a product of Ford. Does Whipple currently have emissions friendly tunes?
Well, that ends that. Just received this in my email box, regardless what I was told- this seems to cancel it out... what a way to begin a day....This is NOT the arse I spoke to..
This is Official... WHIPPLE DOES NOT MAKE 50 STATE LEGAL SUPERCHARGER KITS!
Grr..
Looks like Kenne Bell?

Thanks for reaching out. We used to sell a kit through Ford Racing that was 50-State legal, but that has been discontinued. Our current line of 07-14 GT500 superchargers is intended for competition racing only.

Thank you,

Nick Purciello
Product Line Director

[email protected]

1 - 20 of 35 Posts