Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I had my 07 GT500 in the 4500 - 5500 RPM range several times this past weekend, but never heard the whine of the supercharger.

Was wondering exactly how it is engaged, or how it works. I was under the impression in kicked on after reaching certain rpm level.

Any ideas on how to check or how it works?

Mike

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,951 Posts
Directions to check.
1. Go to driveway and get in car.
2. Start car.
3. Back out of driveway.
4. Drive to open intersection and stop.
5. Smash the gas pedal (at least through 2nd, 3rd is even better), hold on, and listen to the beautiful noise.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,951 Posts
It doesn't kick in based on RPM, it kicks in based on load. You have to really be on it to hear it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I get on it, but maybe not as much as I should. One of my first attempts the traction control kick in. After turning off I tried a few more times, it is hard to get on it without spinning the tires. I didn't just floor it, but gave heavy gas and let the rpm climb.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I suggest you move your seat forward because it sounds to me as if you are sitting too far back if your 'go' pedal doesn't reach the floor.

If you want to hear the whine, then get on it all the way. Otherwise you are ***** footing it. No disrespect intended.

Take it out on the highway and while in 3rd gear stomp the gas pedal (and hold it), you won't spin the tires and you will be rewarded with the sound I like to refer to as 'music to my ears'.

Arbour88

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I assume you're running stock tune, pulley, etc. ??

Is this a new car? You're aware that there is a certain mileage needed or trip length needed to activate the car when new - supposedly to prevent joyriding dealers/salesman but who knows.

Assuming its been "activated" and I forget the required amount of mileage or minimum trip distance....

The stock supercharger is hard to hear when inside the cabin. Try rolling down the windows. If you are unsure of its activation check the boost gauge.

Others are correct, best way to hear boost/see boost/feel boost IMO is get up to about 45 mph in third gear and then push the pedal all the way to the floor. Your engine will have some load on at that gearing and you should produce full boost. Hold on for your life though, cause stock gears 3rd gear will make 100+ mph as I recall. 2nd was good for over 65 mph I think as well...

Anyway, at low speed, in low gear the care will not generate enough engine "load" to generate the full amount of supercharger boost and wheels will just spin anyway esp 1st gear and most of second.

Aftermarket tune and smaller diameter pulley is needed to get the best whine from the SC.

I find goodyear BFG to make good traction with much less slippage than crappy stock tires did.

TD

·
Registered
662 Posts
FLOOR IT!:rofl:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Any time in any gear when you are running around 3000 RPM, floor it and you will hear the whine of your super charger.

·
Registered
933 Posts
You're aware that there is a certain mileage needed or trip length needed to activate the car when new - supposedly to prevent joyriding dealers/salesman but who knows.

Assuming its been "activated" and I forget the required amount of mileage or minimum trip distance....
TD, its been a while but I think its 50 engine starts or a consecutive 5 mile drive whichever comes first. The latter is usually the first milestone reached.

Arbour88

·
Registered
3 Posts
A friend of mine couldn't hear his supercharger either. He asked me if I'd do him a big favor & drive it to be sure it's working.(can you believe he actually had to ask me as a FAVOR?) Of course, I was more than happy to help. Let's put it this way, By the time I was in 3rd gear, he was white as a ghost & said," I hear it now...but I have never driven it like this before!" Of course I could barely hear him over the beautiful screams of pure supercharged power!

·
Registered
639 Posts
I love scaring the crap out of "Guests"....

1) Freeway

2) 5 gear 75-80 mph

3) Drop it into 4th, and stomp on it...

If that don't do it...nothing will

·
Registered
867 Posts
I love scaring the crap out of "Guests"....

1) Freeway

2) 5 gear 75-80 mph

3) Drop it into 4th, and stomp on it...

If that don't do it...nothing will
Dropping to 4th gear is for chumps:grinbiginvert: Try dropping to 3rd at that speed and it's a guaranteed omfg exerience for your guest or a trip to the dog house if said guest is my wife.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Really... 3rd gear at anything under 85mph is the only way to fly.

And when you get a CAI on there you'll REALLY hear that supercharger, it's about twice as loud. I love that sound...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Really... 3rd gear at anything under 85mph is the only way to fly.

And when you get a CAI on there you'll REALLY hear that supercharger, it's about twice as loud. I love that sound...
Bandits right. an aftermarket CAI will increase the sound of the blower whine exponentially. Come to Aloha on Friday and I'll take your car out for a test drive to make sure it is fully engauged.... :)

SLC

·
Registered
658 Posts
wot in 3rd gear @ 65 is an "E" ticket as my pal John Force would say.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The best as stated above is about 70 - 80 mph, and drop the shifter to third gear and mash the gas, that will for sure throw your but in the rear seat as well as hear the supercharger.

But it was always my thought that when the SVT light lit up, at about 3000rpm the supercharger was kicking in??

·
Registered
67 Posts
Here is what I do:

1) Add CAI + KR mufflers

2) Drop the top :cowsmile:

3) 3rd gear above 45 -50 mph

4) mash it to the floor

Sit back and listen to the symphony. I can tell you with the top down the supercharger is screamin! :rocker: :badrazz: Also, between that and the wind it helps drown out any noise coming from the passenger seat! :worried: :scared: :rofl:

·
Registered
47 Posts
The best as stated above is about 70 - 80 mph, and drop the shifter to third gear and mash the gas, that will for sure throw your but in the rear seat as well as hear the supercharger.

But it was always my thought that when the SVT light lit up, at about 3000rpm the supercharger was kicking in??

Not true about the SVT light. That is a programmable shift light that can be adjusted through your info center, or left on all the time.

SLC

·
Registered
994 Posts

+1 with Spring, The SVT light in the tach is programmable, to your individual tastes, depending on mods, or you can turn it off. i am not a huge fan of my car telling me when i need to shift, LOL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts