21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
52,796 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,202 Posts
For $160K+ I'd be special-ordering a loaded-up new Mercedes AMG SL55, or adding another $50K and doing the SL63

Those new SL's are drop-dead gorgeous. If I just wanna go real fast in a straight line with a Mustang, I'll just pour some more mods into my 2011. ;)

·
Registered
2020 Twister Orange GT500
1,291 Posts
If you could find another 500 and have it done as an SE Wide body you’d have something truly special.
This. I love the wide body, but the front end is boring compared to the 500. A step down for a LOT more money IMO.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500 CFTP
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I'm alright with the wide body, but I cannot tell a lie... The nose and hood on the Super Snake is so ugly you'd have to drive it through town with a paper bag over your head.

As others said, for that much cheddar, my eyes would be scanning the autosphere for something far more sophisticated. Or buy a high quality classic muscle car and watch the value rise instead of plummet, while still enjoying the rare and cool aspect.

Rare, by itself, doesn't cut the mustard. And rare combined with ugly doesn't usually do terribly well over time. Well, I say that, but look at what people pay for butt-ugly Mopar wing cars and/or licensed Eleanors.. LOL ;)
This. I love the wide body, but the front end is boring compared to the 500. A step down for a LOT more money IMO.
I'm with you guys, absolutely love the widebody, but not in love with the nose. If it had the GT500 grill, I think I'd do it for sure.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500 CFTP
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
At this price you're not too far off from a very nice 68 GT500KR. $165k is a weird, no-man's land of car pricing, though. Things are either cheaper or more expensive, pick one.
For $160K+ I'd be special-ordering a loaded-up new Mercedes AMG SL55, or adding another $50K and doing the SL63

Those new SL's are drop-dead gorgeous. If I just wanna go real fast in a straight line with a Mustang, I'll just pour some more mods into my 2011. ;)
Looks like a GT350 with a Hellcat Redeye hood. It’s ok but I wouldn’t pay $165k for it. No way. I agree with others, I’d be looking at other vehicles at that price range….
There is nothing on that car to warrant a $165K price tag.
That's the problem, really like the widebody and most of the car, except maybe the nose, but the price point is tough to come to terms with. Probably some other good options out there in this range.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500 CFTP
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So this exact car (in the same color) at the local
Dealership. Was in for an oil leak. The service guy said it is very common for the SS to have random and had to trace oil leaks. I see big money, likely problems, suggest spending that kind dough on an different model.
Appreciate the info. A bit concerning if it's a trend...

·
Registered
2008 725 Super Snake
6,061 Posts
Yes all the SS cars have been made in Indiana at Tuscany Motors since their 2017 return to the lineup. It’s a “Shelby approved” up fitting shop. They also do most of the Shelby F150’s, F250 Baja and Shelby Raptor.
^^^^^I did not know that, I guess I had never thought about where they were built?..........Were the 2015/16 Shelby Super Snakes built in Las Vegas?

R

·
Super Moderator
5,364 Posts
^^^^^I did not know that, I guess I had never thought about where they were built?..........Were the 2015/16 Shelby Super Snakes built in Las Vegas?

R
There were no 15/16 SS, they started again in late 17 for 18.

Reactions: GT500 The Mistress

·
Registered
2008 725 Super Snake
6,061 Posts
There were no 15/16 SS, they started again in late 17 for 18.
The Road & Track road test from 2015...........

and the 2015/16 Shelby Super Snake flyer/brochure........

R

·
Super Moderator
5,364 Posts
..................and the 2015/16 Shelby Super Snake wheels, which have the SUPER SNAKE engraving in the lip........2017+ Super Snake wheels do not have this engraving......

...............and a comparo to the 2017+ Super Snake wheel..........

And the 2017+ in Black........

R
Are we talking about Prototypes or actual cars that were for sale? The 2015 Vehicle in those photos is a prototype. And I believe they only built a couple for demonstration purposes. Yes the prototype vehicles were built in Vegas. I believe #2 2015 was recently put up for sale, it’s the only other one I know of the “red” car. The “production” was done at Tuscany in 17 when the went full send on the program. In 16 there was a final refresh prototype or two done before production but all were sold to “friends of Shelby” not publicly for sale.

From Shelby site
In 2015, the Super Snake evolved from the Shelby GT500 platform to the all-new Ford Mustang GT chassis. This made the car much more nimble and road-course ready with the car’s new independent suspension front and rear
“This prototype Shelby Super Snake was initially an automatic transmission development car for the Shelby GT development program. It was later upfitted with the new Super Snake Carbon Fiber body and badged as the #1 Prototype. It has been in the Shelby American fleet ever since, serving as a track demonstrator as well as display car at events like Barret Jackson and SEMA
This car was the first Automatic Transmission Super Snake built by Shelby American. The many discontinued Carbon Fiber parts fitted to it make it a very desirable car.”

·
Registered
2008 725 Super Snake
6,061 Posts
Are we talking about Prototypes or actual cars that were for sale? The 2015 Vehicle in those photos is a prototype. And I believe they only built a couple for demonstration purposes. Yes the prototype vehicles were built in Vegas. I believe #2 2015 was recently put up for sale, it’s the only other one I know of the “red” car. The “production” was done at Tuscany in 17 when the went full send on the program. In 16 there was a final refresh prototype or two done before production but all were sold to “friends of Shelby” not publicly for sale.

From Shelby site
In 2015, the Super Snake evolved from the Shelby GT500 platform to the all-new Ford Mustang GT chassis. This made the car much more nimble and road-course ready with the car’s new independent suspension front and rear
“This prototype Shelby Super Snake was initially an automatic transmission development car for the Shelby GT development program. It was later upfitted with the new Super Snake Carbon Fiber body and badged as the #1 Prototype. It has been in the Shelby American fleet ever since, serving as a track demonstrator as well as display car at events like Barret Jackson and SEMA
This car was the first Automatic Transmission Super Snake built by Shelby American. The many discontinued Carbon Fiber parts fitted to it make it a very desirable car.”
Here is 15SS030 convert. (with the newer style wheels) coming up for sale at Mecum Kissimee, so at least 30 were made in 2015.......

Here is 16SS00012 from Barrett Jackson.......at least 12 made in 2016.......Mislabeled as "GT500".....

Here is a 2016 that sold at a McLaren dealership in Boston, I can't read the CSM on the dash........Cool Color - Magnetic, especially with that interior......

R

·
Super Moderator
5,364 Posts
Here is 15SS030 convert. (with the newer style wheels) coming up for sale at Mecum Kissimee, so at least 30 were made in 2015.......

Here is 16SS00012 from Barrett Jackson.......at least 12 made in 2016.......Mislabeled as "GT500".....

R
I’ll get the numbers once folks get back to work next week. I can’t remember exactly how many but it’s no where near the 500 per year they did once the program was fully launched in 2017 and transferred to Tuscany. Keep in mind a buyer who special ordered anything from Shelby could chose a CSM number for a price. I’ll follow up once I have the numbers. My understanding is that they weren’t “production cars until 17”.

Reactions: GT500 The Mistress

·
Registered
2008 725 Super Snake
6,061 Posts
Me personally, I am not a fan of the Mustang GT Super Snakes, but I prefer the 2015/16's over the newer Shelby Super Snakes.........AND reality check.........The 2013/14 GT500 Super Snakes were $46,995 on top of the original cost of the 2013/14 GT500........."If/When" Shelby does offer a S550 GT500, it will probably be a $180K-$200K Super Snake all in....

R

·
Super Moderator
5,364 Posts
Me personally, I am not a fan of the Mustang GT Super Snakes, but I prefer the 2015/16's over the newer Shelby Super Snakes.........AND reality check.........The 2013/14 GT500 Super Snakes were $46,995 on top of the original cost of the 2013/14 GT500........."If/When" Shelby does offer a S550 GT500, it will probably be a $180K-$200K Super Snake all in....

R
My 16 GT350 was an early production and I thought it was the best car ever until I drove the 20 Shelby Prototype 500. I understand why they made the SS it’s own vehicle, it’s a constant flow of money all year. Shelby needs that to fund the rest of the operation.

I don’t think they will offer an actual up fit SS/500 it’s been replaced by the SE and KR at least for now. Who knows what the future holds but they have a solid plan for 2023 and will push 1,000+ vehicles out of Vegas. They should break 700 this year including the Hertz program.

I think the SS program doesn’t change for 23. They might reduce production numbers and pull it back in-house in Vegas for the 7th gen. Better control at home.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts