Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500 CFTP
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do y’all think about the Shelby Super Snake? I have a chance to buy a new 2022 Wide Body at MSRP (roughly $165k-ish). Base car just out of production and on the way to Shelby American. Grabber Blue. (Pics for attention)

Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Sky
Tire Wheel Sky Car Vehicle

·
Registered
2021 GT500
1,109 Posts
To me it is a step backwards from a GT500. Crazy as it sounds for that kind of money I would be looking at something outside of a FomoCo vehicle.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500 CFTP
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To me it is a step backwards from a GT500. Crazy as it sounds for that kind of money I would be looking at something outside of a FomoCo vehicle.
Yeah, I’m kind of thinking the same thing. But torn between the limited availability of the Super Snake and if it would be cool to have a few years down the road. And the wide body is just sick. But would I rather have a C8 Z06 or possibly ZR1….yeah!!! But still keeping my GT500.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500 CFTP
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As rare as these are, it seems like the Shelby specialty builds are not really holding their value like the builds based off of a GT500.
Yeah, really wish it was the GT500 platform. Then I’d do it without any reservation!

·
Super Moderator
5,420 Posts
Greg I love Shelby and what they do! The Super Snake isn’t worth that money. I wish it was but it’s just not. If you could find another 500 and have it done as an SE Wide body you’d have something truly special.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500 CFTP
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Greg I love Shelby and what they do! The Super Snake isn’t worth that money. I wish it was but it’s just not. If you could find another 500 and have it done as an SE Wide body you’d have something truly special.
Thanks, helpful perspective. Might need to explore the SE route…

·
Super Moderator
5,420 Posts
Thanks, helpful perspective. Might need to explore the SE route…
If Shelby was doing the whole car in Vegas I might have a different perspective. I think they will eventually take the SS back from Tuscany because of quality issues and bring it in-house again. Then I’d say maybe

Reactions: GT500 The Mistress

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
52,809 Posts
What do y’all think about the Shelby Super Snake? I have a chance to buy a new 2022 Wide Body at MSRP (roughly $165k-ish). Base car just out of production and on the way to Shelby American. Grabber Blue. (Pics for attention)

View attachment 254360 View attachment 254361 View attachment 254362
Moved your post here to our Other Mustangs section Greg.

These Super Snakes are cool cars. If there was no 2020+ GTT500, they would be more enticing. These are converted 5.0 Mustang GTs. Shelby American does neat things with them, but I am too much of a GT500 fan to buy a SS.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500 CFTP
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Moved your post here to our Other Mustangs section Greg.

These Super Snakes are cool cars. If there was no 2020+ GTT500, they would be more enticing. These are converted 5.0 Mustang GTs. Shelby American does neat things with them, but I am too much of a GT500 fan to buy a SS.
I feel the same, kind of torn between the 2. Love my GT500 and would keep it anyway. Just not sure the SS is also worth having. Thanks for moving the post, hopefully we get the same discussion. I figured the GT500 folks would have the most feedback on this topic.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500 CFTP
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If Shelby was doing the whole car in Vegas I might have a different perspective. I think they will eventually take the SS back from Tuscany because of quality issues and bring it in-house again. Then I’d say maybe
So are all the SS outsourced then?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
52,809 Posts
I feel the same, kind of torn between the 2. Love my GT500 and would keep it anyway. Just not sure the SS is also worth having. Thanks for moving the post, hopefully we get the same discussion. I figured the GT500 folks would have the most feedback on this topic.
GT500 folks will be giving feedback as this forum caters to the GT500. We just have some areas for non GT500 cars on the forum for organization.

·
Super Moderator
5,420 Posts
So are all the SS outsourced then?
Yes all the SS cars have been made in Indiana at Tuscany Motors since their 2017 return to the lineup. It’s a “Shelby approved” up fitting shop. They also do most of the Shelby F150’s, F250 Baja and Shelby Raptor.

·
Premium Member
7,202 Posts
I'm alright with the wide body, but I cannot tell a lie... The nose and hood on the Super Snake is so ugly you'd have to drive it through town with a paper bag over your head.

As others said, for that much cheddar, my eyes would be scanning the autosphere for something far more sophisticated. Or buy a high quality classic muscle car and watch the value rise instead of plummet, while still enjoying the rare and cool aspect.

Rare, by itself, doesn't cut the mustard. And rare combined with ugly doesn't usually do terribly well over time. Well, I say that, but look at what people pay for butt-ugly Mopar wing cars and/or licensed Eleanors.. LOL ;)

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
The Coyote-based SuperSnakes always have been a bit of a difficult sell after previous versions were based upon the GT500.

However, depending on the donor car, one advantage can be the range of optional equipment that simply isn’t available on a 2020+ GT500 which make it a much nicer and more convenient car to drive, even without the GT500’s front end geometry. With that in mind, I wonder if a Mach 1 could be SuperSnake donor.

·
Super Moderator
5,420 Posts
The Coyote-based SuperSnakes always have been a bit of a difficult sell after previous versions were based upon the GT500.

However, depending on the donor car, one advantage can be the range of optional equipment that simply isn’t available on a 2020+ GT500 which make it a much nicer and more convenient car to drive, even without the GT500’s front end geometry. With that in mind, I wonder if a Mach 1 could be SuperSnake donor.
That’s currently not an option from Shelby. I believe Ford might want the Mach 1 branding left alone. The SS is ordered through Shelby or a dealer a bit different than taking a GT500 to SE or KR packages. You don’t drop off the car at Tuscany like you would doing upgrades from Shelby.

·
Premium Member
7,202 Posts

Your last sentence would indeed be intriguing. I think that Shelby will basically take on anything if the money is green. The Mach 1 is such an attractive car, I'd be seriously negotiating with SAI to leave their hood, and all of their grille and front spoiler nonsense, OFF of my Super Snake.

Anecdotally, when I special-ordered my S351 Speedster in 1997, I specifically requested that they leave the windshield banner off. I hate windshield banners with a passion. Ehhh, they installed the damned thing anyhow. Then I cracked the windshield while washing the car in cold weather, and I've never re-installed a banner, so eventually I got what I wanted LOL.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts