Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Vista Blue
290 Posts
Makes sense. Since I never have owned a Super Snake, I never had those restrictions when purchasing any of my Alcoa's.

My only requirement was trying to 1. initially find a single wheel, and 2. hope that it matched the engraving of the ones I was already running. When I lost one wheel after my wreck, it was literally impossible to find just one with the same engraving as the other three, thus the insurance co had to eat purchasing a full set for me. Given the circumstance of just needing to find another alcoa or not be able to use the set at all, I would have pulled the trigger regardless of it matching. But since I was dealing with the insurance carrier of the person who hit me verses just needing another wheel because I caused some damage to a wheel, I refused to make that 'sacrifice', despite what they kept trying to pull with me while the issue was ongoing. It was only months later I stumbled on a guy selling one locally matching the three that were on the car when the accident occurred (that I purchased back from the insurance company), so I snapped it up immediately.

I am slightly disappointed though that I missed the boat on finding out there was a quality shop that was widening them since I only learned of that a few months ago....long past when he decided to stop offering that as a service. It definitely sucks though, because I most definitely would have gone that route with my rear set as well. I can only image ones that already have that done will also go for a premium. But it is what it is.

Again, thanks for your insight though. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Makes sense. Since I never have owned a Super Snake, I never had those restrictions when purchasing any of my Alcoa's.

My only requirement was trying to 1. initially find a single wheel, and 2. hope that it matched the engraving of the ones I was already running. When I lost one wheel after my wreck, it was literally impossible to find just one with the same engraving as the other three, thus the insurance co had to eat purchasing a full set for me. Given the circumstance of just needing to find another alcoa or not be able to use the set at all, I would have pulled the trigger regardless of it matching. But since I was dealing with the insurance carrier of the person who hit me verses just needing another wheel because I caused some damage to a wheel, I refused to make that 'sacrifice', despite what they kept trying to pull with me while the issue was ongoing. It was only months later I stumbled on a guy selling one locally matching the three that were on the car when the accident occurred (that I purchased back from the insurance company), so I snapped it up immediately.

I am slightly disappointed though that I missed the boat on finding out there was a quality shop that was widening them since I only learned of that a few months ago....long past when he decided to stop offering that as a service. It definitely sucks though, because I most definitely would have gone that route with my rear set as well. I can only image ones that already have that done will also go for a premium. But it is what it is.

Again, thanks for your insight though. I appreciate it.
You can call Eric Vaughn, he may have a couple of 20" hoops left for widening, but I know he was getting low a few months ago. He is Eric Vaughn Machine - Monrovia CA. if you search in Google.

Yes, there were three Alcoa variations (and two color/finish options), the original "SHELBY FORGED only" that were available to the public through Shelby Perf. Parts, and the SHELBY FORGED - FIFTY YEARS which were a "back by popular demand", but also were installed on the 2012 Super Snake with the 50th Anniv. package/option (50 cars built) and as far as I know, those cars only had the Super Snake center cap as a Super Snake identifier (no SUPER SNAKE engraving on the Alcoa's)........and then the Alcoa's that were not available to the public and they had SHELBY FORGED and SUPER SNAKE engraved on them.............and then the Black Alcoa option came out in 2011 and was only a 2 year option, so those Shelby Black powder coated Alcoa's with their Black Super Snake center cap are much harder to find than the Durabrights and the Chrome caps that were produced for the whole 2007-2012 run.

As far as I know, Shelby never offered the Black option on the Alcoa's that were sold through SPP to the public, like during the later FIFTY YEARS Alcoa production.

R

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Well Robert or anyone else in fact decide to part with a set of any polished Alcoa’s Please let me know!!
No Alcoa's for sale, but I am thinking about selling these Super Snake wheels......

Complete with everything including the correct lug nuts, ready to bolt on, program the TPMS and show off some cool original Super Snake wheels.....

R

21 - 24 of 24 Posts