Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2010 GT500, Kona Blue/White Stripes
282 Posts
Isn’t that red SS @Robert M ’s car in those pictures?

·
Registered
2008 Vista Blue
291 Posts
Yes, they are mine. I am downsizing my Alcoa collection.

R
I gotta ask as a fellow hoarder..... how many are you still sitting on?? I have the set thats on my car currently, and then a second full and staggered set in boxes in my basement for 'future use'.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
I gotta ask as a fellow hoarder..... how many are you still sitting on?? I have the set thats on my car currently, and then a second full and staggered set in boxes in my basement for 'future use'.
Not a lot, just a few. I have the original 9"/10" set that came on my Super Snake, mint with original Pirelli's (stored away), I have the widened set of 2011 Super Snake Black Alcoa's that are currently on my car. I have another set DuraBrights that are widened, and then I have one N.O.S. set 9"/10" in Shelby/Alcoa boxes. All are Super Snake engraved, I have never owned any of the other Alcoa variations without the Super Snake engraving. I also had, but sold the 1 of 1 "Carbon Fiber look" Alcoa's that Shelby used on a SEMA Super Snake, they came from Shelby with a C.O.A. (Certificate of Authenticity)........stating what they were, 1 of 1 etc. I put them up for sale and was contacted by an owner of a 1953 Ford Panel truck who was building his project with a 2007-2009 GT500 drivetrain, and he just had to have those CF look Alcoa's for his '53 Panel, so you never know where some of this stuff will end up.

More recently I first bought a set of the Satin Silver 3pc. Modulare CS/Super Snake engraved forged wheels that came off of a 2013 Super Snake when the owner sent his car back out to Shelby for a widebody, that is also how I got those 2011 Black Alcoa's, an owner wanting to recoup some money toward a widebody upgrade. Then I bought the same Modulare CS/Super Snake engraved wheels in Black, those came directly from Shelby. <<<I sold those Black Modulares a few weeks ago....................and then last but not least, I picked up a set of 2015/16 Super Snake engraved wheels from Shelby in Black. "If" I could find a set of those same 2015/16 Super Snake engraved wheels in Satin Silver, I would probably pick them up.........or maybe not, I am kind-of "wheeled out" in a burned out kind of way....

R

·
Super Moderator
5,254 Posts
Not a lot, just a few. I have the original 9"/10" set that came on my Super Snake, mint with original Pirelli's (stored away), I have the widened set of 2011 Super Snake Black Alcoa's that are currently on my car. I have another set DuraBrights that are widened, and then I have one N.O.S. set 9"/10" in Shelby/Alcoa boxes. All are Super Snake engraved, I have never owned any of the other Alcoa variations without the Super Snake engraving. I also had, but sold the 1 of 1 "Carbon Fiber look" Alcoa's that Shelby used on a SEMA Super Snake, they came from Shelby with a C.O.A. (Certificate of Authenticity)........stating what they were, 1 of 1 etc. I put them up for sale and was contacted by an owner of a 1953 Ford Panel truck who was building his project with a 2007-2009 GT500 drivetrain, and he just had to have those CF look Alcoa's for his '53 Panel, so you never know where some of this stuff will end up.

More recently I first bought a set of the Satin Silver 3pc. Modulare CS/Super Snake engraved forged wheels that came off of a 2013 Super Snake when the owner sent his car back out to Shelby for a widebody, that is also how I got those 2011 Black Alcoa's, an owner wanting to recoup some money toward a widebody upgrade. Then I bought the same Modulare CS/Super Snake engraved wheels in Black, those came directly from Shelby. <<<I sold those Black Modulares a few weeks ago....................and then last but not least, I picked up a set of 2015/16 Super Snake engraved wheels from Shelby in Black. "If" I could find a set of those same 2015/16 Super Snake engraved wheels in Satin Silver, I would probably pick them up.........or maybe not, I am kind-of "wheeled out" in a burned out kind of way....

R
Stocks, bonds, commodities...and Alcoas. Good diversification, Robert! (y)

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Stocks, bonds, commodities...and Alcoas. Good diversification, Robert! (y)
^^^^^^That is funny!.............and yes, I have done well when diversifying into specific/unique performance parts. When the market drops and investors get concerned overall, it may be a little harder to sell parts for "toys", but "usually" there is someone out there looking and if not..............maybe another time would be better for selling.

One thing I can say..........When my other investments "tank", like stocks, bonds, etc., even my house (real estate at one point) that gain is gone until "if/when" it recovers.......Even during the years that it took to recoup my home investment, performance guys were buying unique performance parts. When things have fallen down all around, investment wise...Performance parts, Nice/Unique parts for performance cars, that stuff is still there, you can touch it, feel it and use it if you choose.......It is always there.....BUT, the key is......WISE investment in this stuff, it has to special and it has to be unique, if anyone can find and buy it because it is plentiful for the masses........that is not so special or unique, from an "investment" standpoint.

R

·
Super Moderator
5,254 Posts
^^^^^^That is funny!.............and yes, I have done well when diversifying into specific/unique performance parts. When the market drops and investors get concerned overall, it may be a little harder to sell parts for "toys", but "usually" there is someone out there looking and if not..............maybe another time would be better for selling.

One thing I can say..........When my other investments "tank", like stocks, bonds, etc., even my house (real estate at one point) that gain is gone until "if/when" it recovers.......Even during the years that it took to recoup my home investment, performance guys were buying unique performance parts. When things have fallen down all around, investment wise...Performance parts, Nice/Unique parts for performance cars, that stuff is still there, you can touch it, feel it and use it if you choose.......It is always there.....BUT, the key is......WISE investment in this stuff, it has to special and it has to be unique, if anyone can find and buy it because it is plentiful for the masses........that is not so special or unique, from an "investment" standpoint.

R
Absolutely! (y) (y) (y)

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,413 Posts
The world must be coming to an end. @Robert M is selling a set of wheels!!

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Tim - Thank you very much for dragging the eBay link over to this forum for discussion, I had some interest on eBay with many watchers and quite a few behind the scene offers in the mid-to higher $3K range. They ended up selling on the Face Book Shelby Parts Classified forum and they were picked up about an hour ago, cash in hand.

R

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tim - Thank you very much for dragging the eBay link over to this forum for discussion, I had some interest on eBay with many watchers and quite a few behind the scene offers in the mid-to higher $3K range. They ended up selling on the Face Book Shelby Parts Classified forum and they were picked up about an hour ago, cash in hand.

R
Congrats on the sale Robert! (y)

·
Registered
16 Posts

R
rob, what is this Facebook classifieds page? Post up a link

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
rob, what is this Facebook classifieds page? Post up a link
I had to do a "join request" to see it and post an item.......

It took a few hours for my join request to be accepted.........They probably said, "OH, IT"S HIM!!! : / ".........and that is what took so long for me to be accepted......; )

R

·
Registered
2008 Vista Blue
291 Posts
Hey Rob....I gotta admit, I highly doubt I'd sell my set, but you definitely have my curiosity going atm....

Can I get your thoughts on selling your wheel set? In other words, how long did you have them listed before selling, was it a p.i.t.a, how many places did you list them for sale at (besides the fb page), and ultimately, did you get what you expected out of them?

As I mentioned previously...I too have an extra set sitting in my basement that tbo, I really never thought I'd even consider selling. Hell, every time I see a set for sale, I go thru a thought process where I consider buying them too, so again, considering selling seems highly unlikely. That being said, I am wondering ultimately how much of a pain it was as far as interest and what the market is demanding for them.

Lord knows I've seen sets listed on ebay for $6K and up before (which just seems ridiculous to me), but for the last year or so the going rate seems to be stabilized at around $4k or so. I'd just like to stay informed about what I'm sitting on (that being said, I do realize that they aren't worth $0.10 if that is all anyone would give me for them).

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter.

Bryan

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Hey Rob....I gotta admit, I highly doubt I'd sell my set, but you definitely have my curiosity going atm....

Can I get your thoughts on selling your wheel set? In other words, how long did you have them listed before selling, was it a p.i.t.a, how many places did you list them for sale at (besides the fb page), and ultimately, did you get what you expected out of them?

As I mentioned previously...I too have an extra set sitting in my basement that tbo, I really never thought I'd even consider selling. Hell, every time I see a set for sale, I go thru a thought process where I consider buying them too, so again, considering selling seems highly unlikely. That being said, I am wondering ultimately how much of a pain it was as far as interest and what the market is demanding for them.

Lord knows I've seen sets listed on ebay for $6K and up before (which just seems ridiculous to me), but for the last year or so the going rate seems to be stabilized at around $4k or so. I'd just like to stay informed about what I'm sitting on (that being said, I do realize that they aren't worth $0.10 if that is all anyone would give me for them).

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter.

Bryan
I just listed those two 20X12 Alcoa' on eBay a week or two ago. I also had them listed on Team Shelby in the Classified section, the Face Book GT500 for sale and the Face Book Shelby classified for sale. My target buyer was a Super Snake owner who wanted SUPER SNAKE engraved Alcoa's (which most are not) for a wider tire on the rear of their Super Snake. I found a 2007 owner who wanted just that. He had bought a set of regular SHELBY FORGED Alcoa's, the ones that were available to the public, but he really wanted the SUPER SNAKE engraving which matched what Shelby installed on his car. I had those wheels for sale. The key was, they had to have the SUPER SNAKE engraving to bring the bigger $$$$, and that was really going to be specific to a Super Snake owner, or a person building a clone. They sold for $4000, for the pair and were picked up here at my house after being closely examined and there was no shipping involved.

R

1 - 20 of 24 Posts