1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stronger Shelby Mustang GT500 to roll out
More power, tuning package among Mustang upgrades
Bryce G. Hoffman / The Detroit News

Ford Motor Co. will unveil the latest version of its Shelby GT500 Mustang on Monday, including a new SVT tuning package and a more powerful engine.

The 2011 model still will be powered by Ford's 5.4-liter V-8, but it will get another 10 horses for a total of 550 horsepower, according to documents obtained by The Detroit News and people familiar with the new vehicle.

It also will now feature a weight-saving aluminum engine block that should provide better handling and fuel economy.

Advertisement

"With more horsepower and less weight in the front, you're going to be able to tell the difference," said Jim Hall of 2953 Analytics LLP in Birmingham. "It will be faster and more agile."

The latest Shelby also will get Ford's electronic power-assist steering system, high-intensity headlamps and a few other minor improvements.

Ford will offer an optional performance package put together by its Special Vehicle Team.

According to a preliminary copy of Ford's order book, that will include a new limited-slip rear axle, unique 19-inch front and 20-inch rear painted forged aluminum wheels, as well as upgraded front and rear springs and rear shocks.

The SVT package also will include a special gear shift knob, a different paint scheme with unique striping and a spoiler with Gurney flap.

"Ford needs to keep evolving the GT500," Hall said. "Ford needs to do it to stay ahead of Chevy, because Chevy is looking at a high-performance version of the Camaro."

Other new options for 2011 include a glass roof for the GT500 coupe and two new colors: Race Red and Ingot Silver Metallic.

On Monday, SVT team members also are to discuss the future of their program, which recently introduced a high-performance, off-road version of the Ford F-150 known as the SVT Raptor.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100205/AUTO01/2050349/Stronger-Shelby-Mustang-GT500-to-roll-out#ixzz0ef9Ya4L2

Here is a vid............just click " test system"

http://www.fordmedia...helby/index.php

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Funny, I'm actually glad that I purchased the older model- not only for looks (IMO better looking), but also because this kind of stuff would have drove me crazy if I would have purchased a 2010. I can't explain it, it just does... maybe I know that I have the best of the previous model, with regards to performance (unchanged for 3 years). If I would have purchased a 2010, which I was real close to doing, then I'd already be behind the 8 ball after only one year. No offense to those who have, that's just how I would feel.

Applauds go out to Ford, I'm also glad that this car is better, lighter, and faster...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I will buy a low mileage used 2011 GT500 in December 2012, just before the world ends(according to the Mayan calendar).

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
it will be the 0.0.0.0.0 GT500

·
Registered
43 Posts
The aluminum block scares me a little. I don't like the stripes, the wheels are cool but the glass roof is for chicks (no offense). Also, a 3:73 final drive is a bit low for street use and I would expect that the upgraded springs and shocks are not too much different just more expensive. So while some of us 2010 owners are bemoaning the fact that SVT changed the car significantly within one model year, just remember in 2014 you will be able to get an ceramic block with 600+hp and an IRS who knows with coil overs in front and maybe by then they will but the Brembo calipers in the back and cross drill the rotors. Now that will be a beast.

EW
Satisfied owner of a
2010 Coupe Sterling Gray/Black

·
Registered
73 Posts
Funny, I'm actually glade that I purchased the older model- not only for looks (IMO better looking), but also because this kind of stuff would have drove me crazy if I would have purchased a 2010. I can't explain it, it just does... maybe I know that I have the best of the previous model, with regards to performance (unchanged for 3 years). If I would have purchased a 2010, which I was real close to doing, then I'd already be behind the 8 ball after only one year. No offense to those who have, that's just how I would feel.

Applauds go out to Ford, I'm also glade that this car is better, lighter, and faster...
I have a 2010 and have no regrets. The 2011 is about 90lbs lighter (guessing) and has 10 more hp than mine, due to the steering. Saving money by not paying the higher price tag, I can take that money and mod it to a much better performing car. I'm happy.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Their will always be a stronger, better, faster etc. blah blah model. Ford and every other MFG. won't sell cars, without the hipe. Even Shelby himself, has sucumbed to this BS.

Each of us buys what we have, because that was what was available at the time, or because we saw it as being the ultimate package that says what we are.

I for one have wanted an "Eleanor" since 1969. In my minds eye, my 2010 is my Eleanor. :blueblob:

2010 Shelby GT500 Coupe, Grabber Blue/Red Stripes

·
Banned
1,592 Posts
I have to say, I am a bit envious...lol...until I get ready take my 09 GT500 out for a spin....just the mere sight of her puts a grin on my face...and then when I get in...and start her up...all thoughts of more improved models vanish from my brain

I love my car

·
Registered
986 Posts
I have to say, I am a bit envious...lol...until I get ready take my 09 GT500 out for a spin....just the mere sight of her puts a grin on my face...and then when I get in...and start her up...all thoughts of more improved models vanish from my brain

I love my car
Yep. I LOVE the looks of the 07-09 inside and out. Ford definately got it right in that department as the car's roots to the past are very evident. Also love "living on the edge" when ya get on it!

The 2010's (and it seems the 2011's) are nice looking in thier own right, but the look is a bit too Euro for me, but looks are so subjective. Buy and drive what you like. I'm glad for the opportunity to own one.

·
Banned
1,592 Posts
Yep. I LOVE the looks of the 07-09 inside and out. Ford definately got it right in that department as the car's roots to the past are very evident. Also love "living on the edge" when ya get on it!

The 2010's (and it seems the 2011's) are nice looking in thier own right, but the look is a bit too Euro for me, but looks are so subjective. Buy and drive what you like. I'm glad for the opportunity to own one.
You worded that perfectly....:)

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I have a 2010 and have no regrets. The 2011 is about 90lbs lighter (guessing) and has 10 more hp than mine, due to the steering. Saving money by not paying the higher price tag, I can take that money and mod it to a much better performing car. I'm happy.
10-4... Actually 120 lbs. lighter. As mentioned, no offense... oh, I dropped the "e" in glad... typing too fast. You have an awesome car BTW.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts

I love my car
That sums it up nicely. I'm with you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts