Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
might buy a shelby gt 500 vapor with black stripes,the only issus are the stripes are swirled pretty bad can they be buffed,car has only 141 miles 41500 asking price ,dealer has offered to fix the stripes hopfully to my liking

·
Registered
202 Posts
Get the stripes fixed and offer mid-high thirties. You'll be a very happy Shelby owner!:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its either that or a perfect white blue stripe gt 500 41 miles 08 38000,hid nav and lighting pack ,not sure about white never saw it in person

·
Registered
235 Posts
What year is the Vapor? 08 and used?

·
Registered
456 Posts
might buy a shelby gt 500 vapor with black stripes,the only issus are the stripes are swirled pretty bad can they be buffed,car has only 141 miles 41500 asking price ,dealer has offered to fix the stripes hopfully to my liking
The stripes are vinyl. It is odd that they would have swirls unless someone already buffed the car and dug into them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You really can't buff swirls out of vinyl stripes. They need to be replaced.

If you can agree on a price and have them replace the stripes, go for it. I can't imagine they can get that thing sold with lousy looking stripes, unless they're lucky enough to find a buyer that really wants the stripe delete and will remove them, or one that wants to get them painted on immediately.

The Vapor/Black combo is one killer looking car.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i through the stripes are covered in clearcoat,if they are i meant there are scratches in the clearcoat it seem where the stripes are located the rest of the paint is perfect

·
Registered
235 Posts
09 new with 141 miles and 41.5K is a great price. I got mine for a little less but no nav.
If you want this one, get it and have them replace the stripes.
As far as I can tell, there s no clear coat over the vynal stripes, at least on mine.

·
Registered
933 Posts
09 new with 141 miles and 41.5K is a great price. I got mine for a little less but no nav.
If you want this one, get it and have them replace the stripes.
As far as I can tell, there s no clear coat over the vynal stripes, at least on mine.
That is correct, the stripes are the last things to go on before the cars are shipped to their final destination and the stripes are applied after the car's been painted/clearcoated so they merely are on top of the car's clearcoat.

Arbour88

·
Registered
170 Posts
For sure there is a coating on the stripes or they would not scratch.
Have them replace the stripes before you buy the car dont pass this up car is a blast to dive right out of the box. With about 1,000 bucks this thing will come even more alive

·
Registered
933 Posts
For sure there is a coating on the stripes or they would not scratch.
Have them replace the stripes before you buy the car dont pass this up car is a blast to dive right out of the box. With about 1,000 bucks this thing will come even more alive
For sure!

My stripes don't scratch, they tear when hit by stones.

I have not taken a buffer to them nor do I plan on it, so I don't expect to ever see swirls/scratches on them.

The thought that 'greatone99' had was that they were clearcoated which I don't believe they are.

I think we need someone from AAI to fill us in on the stripe application process.

Fred, are you around?

Arbour88

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea i want the car for sure they are looking into the stripe issue,hopefully they will replace them,i drove it or test drove it never got it into boost,even still the car had a smoother power delivery than my mach ,my mach feels more peppy ,but i imagine when the sc kicks in its game over,the car is everthing i wanted nav ,hid ,the lighting,what actually lights besides the cup holder,red seats ,just a damn stripe issue

·
Registered
456 Posts
I was looking at several color combinations when I was buying my car. The dealer was willing to change stripes without hesitation, eg. from vapor on black to red on black and white on red to black on red, neither of which was readily available at the time. They acted as though replacing stripes was a non-issue. I might add that I traded in a tuned (Bama) 2006 GT. Throttle response was much livelier on the GT than on my untuned Shelby. A CAI and tune took care of that. It makes a huge difference. The tune on the first generation GT500's is ridiculously mild. Apparently Ford has figured that out for 2010.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My stripes have already been replaced once and they are going to be replaced again next week. The first set was replaced due to dirt under the stripes and the replacement set was cut too short around the hood vents.

Stew

·
Registered
50 Posts
Arbour 88 is correct on this one and the stripes are very easy to scratch due to soft vinyl.

Mike

·
Registered
994 Posts
Arbour 88 is correct on this one and the stripes are very easy to scratch due to soft vinyl.

Mike

Just came back from my local Custom Paint shop, owned by a friend of ours. Price quote to remove my vinyl stripes and GT500 side stripes and paint them on, with the addition of silver ghosted flames coming from the extractors, then re-clear the entire car was $1800. Tim does great work, and is quite the artist. Pictures to follow as soon as I get it done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts