Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my 2010 Kona Blue with white stripes on Friday and noticed that the stripes on the front bumper are in two pieces. They overlap at the top of the vertical section of the bumper. The overlap is bottom stripe over top stripe. This can't be normal, why would they do this?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I can't say why they did that but I can say bring it back to the dealer and demand new stripes put on in that section. It's a brand new car and they should fix that problem.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
My 09 Ebony w/Alloy stripes has two piece stripes on the front bumper as well. Top section overlaps the bottom section. I assumed that it was normal, and still do.

I never notice it unless I'm waxing the car.

Don't look at the rear bumper or spoiler, multiple sections and overlaps there as well.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
My 09 Ebony w/Alloy stripes has two piece stripes on the front bumper as well. Top section overlaps the bottom section. I assumed that it was normal, and still do.

I never notice it unless I'm waxing the car.

Don't look at the rear bumper or spoiler, multiple sections and overlaps there as well.
My front stripes are the same and you really can't tell by looking; I had to rub my finger over the seam to tell which one was on top (top overlaps bottom). :pimp:

·
Registered
933 Posts
Each side of the front bumper are made up of 2 piece stripes. This has been discussed in a thread probably close to 3 years ago now much to the dismay of the then new members on here (try the 'search' function). Unfortunately that is the way they came from the factory. I can't explain why cobra0478 has one-piece stripes unless his stripes were installed by the dealer after the dealer took delivery of the car before the dealer sold it.

Arbour88

·
Registered
662 Posts
Each side of the front bumper are made up of 2 piece stripes. This has been discussed in a thread probably close to 3 years ago now much to the dismay of the then new members on here (try the 'search' function). Unfortunately that is the way they came from the factory. I can't explain why cobra0478 has one-piece stripes unless his stripes were installed by the dealer after the dealer took delivery of the car before the dealer sold it.

Arbour88
+1 ....2 piece.:zlurking:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I guess this is not unusual. There is a little problem with the overlap that I pointed out when I picked up the car, I will try to get that fixed to make it look better.

·
Registered
318 Posts

Arbour88
Sorry about that.
When I read the first post I went out and checked my stripes before posting.
I missed the overlap.
After reading Arbour88's post I went back out and rechecked.
I had to look closely,but they are two piece on the front bumper and the lower section of the trunk lid.
Don

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,951 Posts
I think they had to do it because of the curve of the bumper/trunk lid (just my theory). If they had stretched the vinyl, it would retract over time. If they did it in one piece without stretching, there would have to be a crease, so they did the two piece. No matter how you look at it, they should have just painted it. The only upside is you can replace the vinyls a lot cheaper than you can repaint when rock chips start to take effect over time.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
I think they had to do it because of the curve of the bumper/trunk lid (just my theory). If they had stretched the vinyl, it would retract over time. If they did it in one piece without stretching, there would have to be a crease, so they did the two piece. No matter how you look at it, they should have just painted it. The only upside is you can replace the vinyls a lot cheaper than you can repaint when rock chips start to take effect over time.

Just my opinion but I think it would be cheaper to repair the painted stripe than replacing individual vinyl stripes.

FYI-The 2007 white stripes on the GT 500 are a different shade than the 08,09 and 10 so be careful when ordering stripes.The 2007 are a lot whiter and the 08,09 and 10 have a mylar covering over the side stripes and a 1 piece.

·
Registered
102 Posts
+1
Mine is also, overlaped in all the normal places. The only place that is stretched is on the hood I think

·
Registered
238 Posts
To my knowledge all my stripes are fine on my 08. However, just before I hit 2k miles I noticed the front left stripe on the hood had a bubble in it the size of a fingernail. Ford is fixing it w/o cost to me

·
Registered
938 Posts
Just my opinion but I think it would be cheaper to repair the painted stripe than replacing individual vinyl stripes.

FYI-The 2007 white stripes on the GT 500 are a different shade than the 08,09 and 10 so be careful when ordering stripes.The 2007 are a lot whiter and the 08,09 and 10 have a mylar covering over the side stripes and a 1 piece.
Hey Fred is the Mylar that you are referring to a clear type of covering of the stripe.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I picked up my 2010 Kona Blue with white stripes on Friday and noticed that the stripes on the front bumper are in two pieces. They overlap at the top of the vertical section of the bumper. The overlap is bottom stripe over top stripe. This can't be normal, why would they do this?
My 09 (Vista Blue W.Stripes) had two pieces and my 10 (Black W.Stripes) has the samething.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Curvature of the front bumper... If (1) straight piece of tape was used, the stripes would get wider apart as they go down the vertical part of the bumper after making the bend where the two pieces join.

NORMAL NORMAL NORMAL.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts