Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new 09 shelby torch red w/ white stripes. I have had it for a month and noticed that there are several "bumps" in the stripes. Running my finger over them, it feels like grit. Where the stripes cover the rear spoiler there is what looks like a black hair stuck to the stripe, but actually it is a tear in the stripe about an inch from the end of the stripe. There are also other places where there are just plain bubbles and where the stripes fold over say on the edge of the front or rear bumper, they are lifting where it appears to be too much stripe, and no where for it to go. Has anyone else had anything like this happen? I am sure the dealership will fix what I ask of them, but what concerns me is how will they look if the body shop replaces them? I know the one section with the "hair" will have to be replaced, but any suggestions on the rest?

·
Registered
76 Posts
You could always buy the correct stripes from ford and put them on yourself. all you do is use painters tape or thin tape that doesn't have a lot of glue and barely sticks (so it isn't hard to take up, or ruin your paint) to mark around the old stripes, then mix some dish soap and water in a bottle and lightly spray the new stripes (on the back of course where it is sticky). Trust me it won't ruin the hold of the stripes. Then put the stripes on yourself. If they aren't aligned correctly the soapywater will help you lift them back off so you can apply them again. Then just iron them out, get all the air bubbles out and let it sit and dry and you're good to go.

If you want to take the old stripes off yourself, simply heat them up with a hair dryer. You can put your hand next to them as you heat them so when you start to feel like your burning your hand lift off or stop. This will prevent you from getting the stripes TOO hot and bubbling your paint. You just want to use the drier to heat them up so the glue gets soft and they become easy to peel off and remove.

If you dont want to do it yourself, Ford can probably do it for you too.

BEFORE you really do anything. I would go measure and write down all the stripe dimensions. This way you know how they will look and what they SHOULD look like, whether you do it yourself or just in case ford messes it up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
But to respond to your question about the stripes on our cars....

My car has its stripes on PERFECTLY. And I say that because i'm SUPER FANATICAL about such things with my "Car O.C.D" I have lol. And they are on perfectly straight with no bubbles and no dirt underneath.

Dont know why yours are like that

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I have a brand new 09 shelby torch red w/ white stripes. I have had it for a month and noticed that there are several "bumps" in the stripes. Running my finger over them, it feels like grit. Where the stripes cover the rear spoiler there is what looks like a black hair stuck to the stripe, but actually it is a tear in the stripe about an inch from the end of the stripe. There are also other places where there are just plain bubbles and where the stripes fold over say on the edge of the front or rear bumper, they are lifting where it appears to be too much stripe, and no where for it to go. Has anyone else had anything like this happen? I am sure the dealership will fix what I ask of them, but what concerns me is how will they look if the body shop replaces them? I know the one section with the "hair" will have to be replaced, but any suggestions on the rest?
first...take good close up pics of all problem areas (mainly for your records). then take it (the car) to the dealer and show them where all the issues are. you want all new ones, nothing less, and its warranty covered. they will match. talk to the dealer about who does the striping and how good they are. let them know (nicely and being professional) that you expect quality work. there should be ZERO bubbles. i recently had news ones installed on the rear, and they were perfect.

·
Registered
76 Posts
they really went cheap on those stripes imo.
They are pretty thick 3m vinyl and are put on the cars pretty damn well! (at least mine is on perfectly).

The only complaint I have is that they didn't FULLY wrap the car in them. They stop short on the front bumper, and on the back of the hood and on the bumper/spoiler. I like the ca to be WRAPPED in vinyl stripes, so it looks like they are painted on.

But I like vinyl more than paint. It stands out a bit more I think. AND its cheap. AND you can always change your mind and do something different :) paint is perminent

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have several (3) bubbles in mine as well and the dealer and I have already discussed replacing them. He tried to tell me that they would repair them and I said that option was not satisfactory and I wanted them replaced. They will be replaced next week.

Stew

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These stripes were put on by the factory, and since she only has a few hundred miles on her, I think I am going to leave this one up to the dealership to fix. I actually noticed one air bubble the first day, but assumed it would lay flat, now others have "raised up". When I got the car it had been on the showroom floor since delivery so I can't imagine someone else didn't see these flaws. I have purchased 9 stangs from this dealership so they should take care of it and it is under warranty. I was just hoping for an easier fix then having to leave her at the dealership for a few days. I appreciate everyone's feed back. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
These stripes were put on by the factory, and since she only has a few hundred miles on her, I think I am going to leave this one up to the dealership to fix. I actually noticed one air bubble the first day, but assumed it would lay flat, now others have "raised up". When I got the car it had been on the showroom floor since delivery so I can't imagine someone else didn't see these flaws. I have purchased 9 stangs from this dealership so they should take care of it and it is under warranty. I was just hoping for an easier fix then having to leave her at the dealership for a few days. I appreciate everyone's feed back. Thanks!
i see your in VB...what dealer are you using? i use Williamsburg only. Real cool and great to work with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Milez, I just called Cavalier Ford in Chesapeake, where I bought it from. I have an appointment on Tuesday to bring it in. Hopefully they will replace the sections this is happening too.
And hey, how did you find out what number coupe you have? I had the number with my first cobra but not for this one? I had a certificate from SVT with the number on it and on this one, I haven't received anything. Any clue?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Go to Ford Performance Group 1-800-367-3788 and order the ownership certificate for 45 dolllars. For an additional 10 bucks you can get another Ford window sticker as well. Well worth the 55 bucks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yes, many owners have had issues with their stripes. From slight to serious.

I had 3 sections re-striped under warranty. No worries, your dealer will do it at no charge.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Hey Milez, I just called Cavalier Ford in Chesapeake, where I bought it from. I have an appointment on Tuesday to bring it in. Hopefully they will replace the sections this is happening too.
And hey, how did you find out what number coupe you have? I had the number with my first cobra but not for this one? I had a certificate from SVT with the number on it and on this one, I haven't received anything. Any clue?
agree with what 08 said. the cert will have the seq build numbers on it. Dont know about Cavalier, hope they do you well...just stay way from Kimnach and Beach. They suck. Wmsbg has been great to me, so i take all my business there. Should hook up sometime.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Yes, many owners have had issues with their stripes. From slight to serious.

I had 3 sections re-striped under warranty. No worries, your dealer will do it at no charge.
I have a friend that owns a custom hot rod shop, and we plan on getting ours taken off and painted on with ghost flames

·
Registered
102 Posts
My stripes look good but I did have one little bubble on the bottom of the trunk lid and I just toke a pin and poped it and it layed right down. I was lucking on that part.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Off to see a Shelby that just had stripes removed, and repainted on. This is a guy that actually repainted my 97 cobra. I called him and he wants to show me the shelby he just painted stripes on. Milez, sorry he is at Beach Ford and had he not been there still, I wouldn't be going, but this guy does a hel* of a paint job. I'll see if he will let me take some pics. Off I go.....

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Would you post some pics of the painted stripes when you get a chance?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Please post estimated price as well- definitely something I want to do in the future.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Last estimate I got on painting stripes in the identical fashion to our stock vinyls was about $1200. I do not know if that also covered clear or not.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts