Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stock Tokico vs. D-Specs

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  007snake 
#1 ·
Thinking about replacing current struts/shocks with Tokico D-Spec, and was wondering if they are significantly different than the Tokicos the car comes with? Other than the infinite adjust ability of the D-Specs; is the actual handling and ride that much superior? Thanks to all those who know and have replaced them. I'm not going to race the car on a strip or rally course. Just would like to flatten it out a bit in corners, without spending $2K, or lowering the car, just can't deal with all that scraping. At most the car will have around 540 RWHP when I'm done with the engine mods/tuning, so a real beefy strip type traction suspension is not needed/desired. More of a I'm going to cruise some curvy back country roads, at perhaps hi-speed ;), and don't want the ass-end breaking loose on me.

#2 ·
I have the D-specs but put them in with the pro-kit springs to lower and that probably helps the stiffness too. That being said if you tighten up the d-specs it's pretty firm....at least with my springs. I suspect there would be a good difference even with stock springs but maybe not as much. I also put in the eibach anti roll kit and that seemed to help too. there is little to no roll in turns and the nose dive/raise under brake/accel. is all but gone.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info, that sounds very similar to what a friend of mine has in his GT. He went with the D-Specs, Eibach's, Steeda LCAs, Still stock on the UCA, and he replaced his panhard. I rode around a bit with him yesterday, and the ride is good, no hop, flat in corners, and so on. He has not done the sway bars yet. I'm thinking I can get real close or right on what I'm looking for if I do the D-Specs, sway bar kit (front & rear), along with the panhard, and prehaps a panhard brace, as well as the FRPP strut bridge. I realize that lowering springs do make a pretty significant difference too, but I'm color keying all the lower body work, and don't want to deal with scraping; so it's a little bit of a trade off.

Thanks again though Iceman for sharing what you did. Other's experience and thoughts are exactly what I'm looking for. This is a Great Forum! The time I spend here, about 2 hours a day is very well spent, and I certainly appreciate everyone's help with the plethora of choices for these cars.

#7 ·
What's great about the J&M gear, vs. say Steeda or FRPP?

#5 ·
I'm with VNMOUS1. My D-Specs, combined with EVO upper and lower control arms, Panhead bar, torque box brace,Eibach lowering kit, upper strut mount kit and the tokico's she sticks like gorilla glue. Amazing cornering, stiff ride........ NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 ·
+1 (except with FRPP springs)

#9 ·
I bought a 2008 Shelby GT the other day. I drove it back from El Paso. I haven't been able to get the thing up on a rack yet to see what kind of shocks and struts along with springs that are on it. I noticed coming back the car road like a tank. i got the thing from a used car lot. the care is to stiff, with no bounce at all. It jars the heck out of you. It looks like it's been lowered in the front some. I am sure the springs are cut in front. I am deciding what brand of shock and struts to use. Would Tokico D-Spec shocks and struts work well with Ford springs?
Can anyone help me on this selection of Bilistein or Tokyo Shocks,and struts.

#11 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.