Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Kona Blue VMP Gen2R
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use a basic stick welder to install a bung on a stock 2013/14 pipe? The pipe looks like it is simply steel with some type of brown coating (brown galvanizing ??) to prevent rust...Want to make sure before I start drilling and cleaning the bung area.
Correct me if I am wrong.
I know there is some SS pipes out that are not shiny (coated with a brown material) but I doubt Ford ever used it.

·
Registered
2009 gt500 vmp gen3, 2020 gt500 magnetic, 1970 mach1 408 stroked, 1997 cobra awesome
232 Posts
I wouldn’t. One bad arc at too much heat will blow a hole too big to repair. But I do think it’s possible if you maybe practices on some scrap exhaust and had your heat and rod right. So yes I think it could be done but I wouldn’t do it. If you happen to be around upstate sc you’re welcome to come by my shop use my gas welder

·
Registered
2010 Kona Blue VMP Gen2R
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn’t. One bad arc at too much heat will blow a hole too big to repair. But I do think it’s possible if you maybe practices on some scrap exhaust and had your heat and rod right. So yes I think it could be done but I wouldn’t do it. If you happen to be around upstate sc you’re welcome to come by my shop use my gas welder
Thanks but I live in NY. I'll forget about the Lincoln stick welder and try out the small Harbor Freight flux core wire welder on some scrap exhaust pieces to see if it can do the job.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I would pay an exhaust shop a modest fee to do it. I've built multiple exhaust iterations on former cars in northern states with that flux core wire welder and it's the first place the corrosion starts no matter how many coats of high temp paint you put on it. Then you'll have an even bigger issue to try and fix just because you tried to save a few bucks.

Buy once cry once is a mantra that will start to make sense to you over time.

Reactions: Towerman30

·
Registered
2010 Kona Blue VMP Gen2R
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
I would pay an exhaust shop a modest fee to do it. I've built multiple exhaust iterations on former cars in northern states with that flux core wire welder and it's the first place the corrosion starts no matter how many coats of high temp paint you put on it. Then you'll have an even bigger issue to try and fix just because you tried to save a few bucks.
Okay....think I found a shop that appears to have good ratings and just does just exhausts. My issue is I don't have a lot of faith in any of the shops and garages in my area and always try to do the work myself to avoid getting ripped off or having them "discover" other problems.
Anything I should tell them about how to weld the bung in? like gas with any type of special rod? hopefully they will know what they are doing.
I will pre-drill and fit the bung so they don't mess that part up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts