Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After installing the 08 balancer it was time to install the TVS & the FRPP CAI.

I disconnected the battery first . (The FRPP directions tell you to disconnect the fuse to the fuel pumps then start the car to burn all the fuel in the lines and dissipate the pressure.) I didn’t do this as the car had been sitting for over a week without starting so I figured the pressure was down . As it turned out I was right and there were no issues,
Then I removed the strut tower brace by removing the two bolts on each side.

Next I disconnected the various wire connectors on the drivers side. Be sure to slide back the safty locks 1st so you can release the clips.

Next I removed the CAI tube and assembly.

Then disconnected the booster and ventilation vac lines from the housing.( you need a tool to release the lock. )

Then proceeded to remove the TB held on by 4 bolts.

Some oil had entered in on the back side of the TB near the DBW controls where the Vapor evac system line connects.

A bit more oil also entered in the plenum between the TB and the blower housing where the brake booster line and the PCV line connects .You can see why it pays to change the oil often to keep it clean.

Now on to the passenger side.
Disconnect the vac lines from the EGR then remove the two bolts holding the EGR to the housing . (Be careful not to lose the SS gasket as it must be reused.) I didn’t disconnect the main EGR tube at this time ( more on that later)

There is another vac line in the rear of the blower housing that must also be disconnected.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Part #2
Then I removed the (2) two bolts holding down the fuel rails and disconnected the wire connector too then carefully lifted the fuel rail with injectors out and placed it across in front of the blower snout but be careful not to kink the line.
( The FRPP directions say to remove both sides but I found it to be unnecessary.)

In order to get at all the bolts holding the blower to the intake manifold you must also remove the air plenum after the TB.

Then you can remove all 10 bolts holding the SC to the manifold.

Evidence of oil in the blower entry point ….almost none in the inter cooler .

After removing the blower I then removed the EGR valve ( much easier to access without the blower in place)
Then after a light coat of oil on the original factory gasket I set the new TVS blower in place and torqued to specs and sequence.
Then reinstalled everything in reverse order being careful to use the new shorter EGR bolts supplied with the blower and the old SS gasket.

The new monoblade TB from Evolution Performance

I opted to use the FRPP CAI instead of the JLT that I already had because the FRPP works better to keep hot air from the Engine compartment out and does a better job at bringing in cooler air from the fender well.
I am very concerned with keeping the air charge as cool as possible which is one of the biggest reasons for going with the TVS over the stock blower. I am also running a larger heat exchanger to help in this matter as well as the monoblade TB.

I also opted for the Evolution Performance 2.7 upper pulley . I already had the Metco idler pulley.

Lastly I installed the Evolution tune and started the car. It runs perfect so far but I won’t be able to fully test it until the weather breaks and the roads are clear of winter sand.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Very nice.

Thanks for all the pics!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Great pics and write-up... I just PM'd you....

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Thanks for the post! Very informative.:)

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Thanks for the post.

Why are there 2 posts?:D

·
Registered
2008 Red Super Snake, 2019 Mustang GT
465 Posts
Very nice write up!

how long did it take you?

Any idea when the weather will break so you can get some seat time in?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very nice write up!

how long did it take you?

Any idea when the weather will break so you can get some seat time in?
About 2 - 2-1/2 hrs start to finish but I took my time to take pics and clean things I couldn't normally get at. Another 45 min to put things away and clean the garage. Really a very easy job .

The weather looks bad up here for the next week at least.......The older I get the more I hate winters....

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
If the intercooler looks like it has oil in it when you get to that point, how hard is it to remove and clean?

Is it like removing an intake manifold on a N/A engine?

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
George,Nice write up and thanks for the pictures.You really do a great job,professor.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the intercooler looks like it has oil in it when you get to that point, how hard is it to remove and clean?

Is it like removing an intake manifold on a N/A engine?
I have never removed one but it does look like it would be the same as a typical intake manifold job. I would think as long as you changed the oil frequently and kept it from breaking down forming harmful deposits and sludge then it would be easy to clean once you removed it to do so.That said I would hate to have to do that.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Nice job!

I know the PCV inlet is a source of oil from the engine but does it look like the oil is coming from the CAI side or any of the other ports connected to the SC?

I have an catch can on mine to reduce the amount of oil going into the intake but it's only connected in-line with the PCV system on the passenger's side.

How many miles do you have on your car?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice job!

I know the PCV inlet is a source of oil from the engine but does it look like the oil is coming from the CAI side or any of the other ports connected to the SC? Yes there are two other vac lines connected just behind the TB . One from the evac system and the other from the brake booster. The evac line was responsible for much of the oil
I have an catch can on mine to reduce the amount of oil going into the intake but it's only connected in-line with the PCV system on the passenger's side.
No catch can yet
How many miles do you have on your car?
3800 MILES

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Sorry for being so ignorant, but what is the evac line? Just wondering where it connects to and where it's picking up so much oil from. Does the evac line run to the inlet in the SC plenum that is stained with that stream of oil?

Okay, I answered some of my own questions by checking the SC hoses on my car. The fitting for the EVAP line is the one closer to the TB; however, I don't know where the oil would be coming from in the EVAP system, I believe it's part of an emissions control system for fuel vapors. The fitting that showed the oil smear is for the power brake booster, the oil must be flowing out of that fitting rather than in because there's no source of oil from that part of the brake system.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry for being so ignorant, but what is the evac line? Just wondering where it connects to and where it's picking up so much oil from. Does the evac line run to the inlet in the SC plenum that is stained with that stream of oil?

Okay, I answered some of my own questions by checking the SC hoses on my car. The fitting for the EVAP line is the one closer to the TB; however, I don't know where the oil would be coming from in the EVAP system, I believe it's part of an emissions control system for fuel vapors. The fitting that showed the oil smear is for the power brake booster, the oil must be flowing out of that fitting rather than in because there's no source of oil from that part of the brake system.
I think it might be a stain possibly made from a bit of oil durring assembly because it seemed like an older dried up stain as opposed to the new wet oil coming from the two emissions inlets. Don't know for sure just a thought.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
George, please clear your PM box.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts