Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've have a shake in the steering wheel , not severe, which lessens as I drive it but doesn't totally go away. I found the left front rim was bent in 2 places, not severe, but bent and figured that this was the problem. So I ordered a new set of rims as the back ones are fairly pitted and broken out with curb rash (not me, was like that when I bought it). They were kind enough to back order the rear ones so I have no idea when I'll get them, but I put the front new ones on. Tires have very good tread and had the shop check the tires for any damage just in case and were mounted and balanced.

Problem still exists. I read where a retainer washer on the lug bolt for the rotor could cause this and of course I couldn't remember so pulled the wheel off again to check. No retainer clip. Wheel hub sounds quiet and tight, so at least so good so far. I don't detect any play while attempting to shake the wheel ie: ball joint. No idea why I'm getting this or where to look at this point. While I need new pads and rotors, braking is smooth and good, I don't suspect a warped rotor.

Front suspension is stock with 45k on the car, where should I look next or just take it in and let someone take a look at it?

·
Moderator Dude!
28,293 Posts
Since the steering wheel is shaking, the problem lies in the front. A warped rotor would not cause it. A warped rotor would cause the steering wheel to shake only while braking.

There was a TSB for some 2011s with the electronic steering (EPAS) regarding steering wheel to shake... this is obviously not your problem.

Start “simple.” Meaning look at your wheels first and then your tires. Remove your front wheels with the tires on them and have them checked for balance. Also, while the wheel/tire is spinning, check the inside and outside lips of your wheel for wobble or hop (bent/out of round rim). Also check the tire at the tread as wheel as where it meets the rim for wobble/hop. This could be from the tire not being properly seated on the rim or a defective tire. If all looks normal/normal, check if there was a lot of weight added to the rim to balance the tire. If there was quite a bit, have the weights removed, deflate the tire, rotate it 180 degrees, reinflate and rebalance.

If there aren’t excessive balancing weights on the wheel, I’d be tempted to remove the tire completely and spin the wheel by itself to get a better check for wobble/hop.

I bet your problem lies with your wheels or tires, but if you find nothing there, start looking at the front suspension bushings and tightness of components.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Odd that I have brand new rims, balanced, tires checked by the shop that mounted them and have the exact same symptoms as before with the old rims unless there's some flaw with the tires themselves that can't be seen.

·
Moderator Dude!
28,293 Posts
Odd that I have brand new rims, balanced, tires checked by the shop that mounted them and have the exact same symptoms as before with the old rims unless there's some flaw with the tires themselves that can't be seen.
Make sure that YOU watch the rims/tires spinning on the balance machine. I personally always insist on shops spinning any new rims I get on the balance machine before mounting tires on them. I’ve caught some damaged rims (damaged from shipping) doing this before. The vendor that sold me the wheels couldn’t claim I damaged them because I had not yet mounted tires on them.

·
Premium Member
5,922 Posts
I had this issue on my 2011. It was not the electric steering issue. My 11 was built after the TSB was issued. My steering wheel would shake at 75mph. I had aftermarket rotors that were the issue. The steering wheel would shake even when brake pressure was NOT applied. Replaced them with the stock rotors and shake went away.

No way to definitively say that is the issue but it was my experience.

·
Premium Member
4,157 Posts
Do you have a shop that offers road force balancing?

Any chance the tires have a flat spot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll have to check around. Yeah, a flat spot would make sense to, but I didn't see any irregularities with the tire tread. I assume I could see a flat spot? Will definitely have to take it back and have the fronts rechecked I guess.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I agree with road force balancing but it is only as good as the person balancing your wheels. If they road force balance ok a cheap try is to get hub centric rings as I see you have aftermarket wheels. Once you eliminate the above then you can go into suspension and brake rotors. I have also seen aftermarket rotors cause vibration that doesn't shake while braking but it's not that common. Since you need brake pads and rotors I would try that next. I agree with everyone above good advice given. Good luck and post up what you find .

·
Super Moderator
4,773 Posts
I had this same issue and it was one of my tires. Had them road force balanced and it was barely in the acceptable range. Switched the tires and it went away.
X2 — my bet is it is the tires. I’ve been down that road before as well and it was the tires.

Re: road conditions/quality where you are at. Do you have access to some really smooth or new black asphalt to really assess the vibration? The concrete and asphalt jungle where I’m at and the traffic stop and go can cause ripples that make it feel like something is wrong when in fact all is well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If your wheel took a hit bad enough to bend it, I'd check the suspension for any bent components. Have you attempted to align it yet?
Not yet, been prepping for the National show this weekend. After that will be diving deeper into this issue.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Put my new StopTech drilled/slotted rotors and Ceramic pads on all the way around and the shaking has gone away, yay! When pulling the old parts though, I didn't see anything significant. Just glad it's gone.

·
Super Moderator
4,773 Posts
Put my new StopTech drilled/slotted rotors and Ceramic pads on all the way around and the shaking has gone away, yay! When pulling the old parts though, I didn't see anything significant. Just glad it's gone.
Excellent news! Congrats on a smoooooth ride!!!

·
#1 Mike!
8,641 Posts
Congrats! Two birds with one stone! Oftentimes irregularities in tires or damage from impacts cannot be seen with the eye. Same holds true with rotors. Glad you solved the problem!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts