Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ss, KR, gt350.. Can't decide

2007 - 2014 
3K views 41 replies 13 participants last post by  Theking 
#1 ·
So new to the 500 world, and living in a remote area, I could really use Some guidance to all the models. Available within about 10hours to drive there is 1 2008 KR, 1 2007 super snake, 1 2014 Gt350 (s197 gt350 that is), and 1 standard 2007 gt500.

The 350 and super snake cost about the same. I really, really like the super snake, but find the updated interior of the 2014 much more appealing. But the ss has the better transmission and exterior, while the 350 arguably has the best looking engine bay of any mustang I have ever seen. But there is that front end that is a bit.. Rice?

Then there is the KR, lovely car, but again old like the ss and not very much less money.

And then the plain standard gt500, great base for modifications.

As for prices the ss and 350 cost about the same, KR a little less and the 500 is dirt cheap in comparison.

No matter what car I get, I want a car that has decent handling as the roads are twisty around here. Any details on the super snake handling would be nice. The 350 is probably the best of the bunch, and the KR and plain gt500 will probably need mods to the suspension to handle adequately.

Any input? How good are the older super snakes?

See less See more
#2 ·
So new to the 500 world, and living in a remote area, I could really use Some guidance to all the models. Available within about 10hours to drive there is 1 2008 KR, 1 2007 super snake, 1 2014 Gt350 (s197 gt350 that is), and 1 standard 2007 gt500.

The 350 and super snake cost about the same. I really, really like the super snake, but find the updated interior of the 2014 much more appealing. But the ss has the better transmission and exterior, while the 350 arguably has the best looking engine bay of any mustang I have ever seen. But there is that front end that is a bit.. Rice?

Then there is the KR, lovely car, but again old like the ss and not very much less money.

As for prices the ss and 350 cost about the same, KR a little less and the 500 is dirt cheap in comparison.

No matter what car I get, I want a car that has decent handling as the roads are twisty around here. Any details on the super snake handling would be nice. The 350 is probably the best of the bunch, and the KR and plain gt500 will probably need mods to the suspension to handle adequately.

Is that the flag of Denmark under your screen name...?

Is handling on the twisty roads is your focus, do you have any S550 GT350s available to you?

#3 ·
Okay, I've had a 2007, 2011 and 2013 GT500 over the last thirteen years. Last year I bought a new 2019 GT350. There is no comparison between the live rear axle GT500's and the independent rear suspension of the GT350. The GT500 just cannot corner as well as the GT350. The GT350 handles and feels much better. It also has far more creature comforts to go along with the package. It would be a no brainer for me. As for the looks of the car, I personally think its the best looking of all the recent Mustangs since 2007.

#4 ·
The gt350s scare me off a little with all the engine problems, plus the import tax is terrible in this country. Id need to wait at least a few years, or the tax is as much as the car 😳Also I have 2 kids, and correct me if I'm wrong but the s197 has the better back seats don't they?

I don't need a that handles like a Porsche really, but I tried a 07 gt500 and that was quite bad to be honest. I'd like a car that can handle the twisty stuff, attend a track day without trying to kill me and just be fun as a weekend warrior. I wonder how the super snake compares to the stock car, or even the 2013 or gt350?

#5 ·
The gt350s scare me off a little with all the engine problems, plus the import tax is terrible in this country. Id need to wait at least a few years, or the tax is as much as the car 😳Also I have 2 kids, and correct me if I'm wrong but the s197 has the better back seats don't they?

I don't need a that handles like a Porsche really, but I tried a 07 gt500 and that was quite bad to be honest. I'd like a car that can handle the twisty stuff, attend a track day without trying to kill me and just be fun as a weekend warrior. I wonder how the super snake compares to the stock car, or even the 2013 or gt350?
I have never driven an S197 GT350, but I would assume it would handle better than the 07-14 GT500.

#6 · (Edited)
I would imagine all of your options other than the 2007 stocker would handle about the same. The SS most likely has the Eibach suspension. I believe the KR has FR suspension. The GT350 also has a suspension upgrade as well. The GT350 had a wide range of options from Shelby American.

For me, if all were in the same condition and mileage, I would be for the 2007 SS. Unless, you want something to drive daily, then the 2007 stock.

Great list of cars to choose from. Keep us posted.

#7 ·
“How good?“
At what? For what?

These all are vastly different cars, each with its own unique benefits, drawbacks and compromises which apply to both driving characteristics and as a collectible, the importance of which is wholly subjective.

Rather than deciding what you want from a particular list of cars, I’d suggest deciding what you want from a car and search only for those that meet those criteria.

#8 ·
Sorry, should have been more specific. Obviously I want a gt500. Specifically one that handles the twistes, as even the highway around here is twisty, and even a track day if I feel like it. I can of course fix the suspension, but the stock gt500 is quite terrible on these roads and therefore only an option if I start the slippery slope of mods. If any of the other cars can handle good out of the box, then my money may be better used there as mods is normally not something that increase the value.. I like the super snake looks and history, a really mint and nice low milage 40th anniversary car. It's the 605hp version though. The gt350 is probably better in most every way, but the front end is something getting used to.. God I wish these cars weren't 10 hour drives away (and not even in the same direction).

I would imagine all of your options other than the 2007 stocker would handle about the same. The SS most likely has the Eibach suspension. I believe the KR has FR suspension. The GT350 also has a suspension upgrade as well. The GT350 had a wide range of options from Shelby American.

For me, if all were in the same condition and mileage, I would be for the 2007 SS. Unless, you want something to drive daily, then the 2007 stock.

Great list of cars to choose from. Keep us posted.
The super snake is my favorite. However it cost the same as the gt350 and is the same price.. The 350 and ss has very low milage and excellent condition. The KR has 30k miles.

Interesting that you think they all handle about the same. After seeing the KR on motortrend where randy pobst compared the KR to a bronko due to pitch and roll, I always thought it was near stock in suspension. And didn't carrol Shelby claim that the super snake was road race ready?

#10 ·

All of the cars you're looking at have the live rear axle. They didnt have IRS until '15, except the Terminator.

The GT350 was a limited production (something like 350 units), ordered straight from the factory. You'll be mostly paying for the exclusivity there. It comes in an N/A motor which has an automatic option, pushing about 430whp. There were also 2 S/C options, pushing 525whp and 624whp.

The KR is the King of The Road edition and theres also a bit of exclusivity there with only about 1,011 units produced. Its pushing about 530whp with a 5.4l S/C motor.

The SS, again exclusivity. That is a car in it's own class. They had anywhere from 540whp-660whp, but they also came with 3.73:1 gears and a multitude of other major performance upgrades as well as body/wheel upgrades.

The 07 gt500 is the "plain jane" of the group you're looking at. It's a 5.4l S/C motor giving you around 450whp.

If I were to choose, I would go with the SS. It may be a beast in the power department, but it's also been given significant suspension upgrades and has the largest tire size to help you keep the power on the pavement.

If it's a real track (twisties) car you want, the '15-present GT350/GT350r or the '20 GT500 are where it's at now.

#11 ·
If you are interested in a Mustang equipped with an IRS for handling, don’t rule out a 99-04 Mustang Cobra. The 99 & 01 Cobras as well as the 00 Cobra R and the 03-04 Terminator Cobras all had an IRS rear end that handles waaay better than a solid rear axle. Also, as pointed out above, all 2015+ Mustangs got an IRS rear end.

If twisties are “your thing,” I think you will be happier with an IRS equipped car.

#12 ·
Many great responses here. I understand that the irs cars must be great. But are the live axle cars really that bad? The s197 appeals too me with looks, rear seat space for the kids and the power level. Is the handling really that bad, even on the super snake?

#14 ·
I have a 2011 GT500 that I’ve added LCAs and a Watts Link. The changes helped, but it is nowhere close to my IRS equipped Mustangs with regards to handling. Up through 2014, the GT500 has never been a “twisties car.” It has always been a straight line bruiser.

#13 ·
If you're stuck on an S197 for the looks, I don't blame you :ROFLMAO: . Buy a stock one and modify it to your liking. Griggs or Cortex will certainly have you handling as well as a live axle can.

Reactions: Goose17
#16 ·
So I just watched Chris Harris drive the gt500 2013 vs the camaro zl1. The camaro was faster, better, but he loved the raw power and fun factor of the gt500. And fun honestly is my top priority. If I wanted to be fastest around a Track I would get an s2000 or an r35 gtr. But I just want to drive and have fun. Drag race every now and then, perhaps a track day a year. Hopefully that live axle won't kill me..

So back to the case. The kr is off the table. I'd rather get the stock gt500 for 57000 $(I know, crazy money here). But I love the 624hp gt350 for being a 2014 with full Ford performance suspension, and low production numbers. However the s197 gt350 does not look like it will be the big collectors car does it? And it costs 90.000$. The super snake is my favirote, but it's old, 2007. Being a 40th anniversary car it may have some collectors value, and it's only got 5000miles on it. Decisions decisions. I'll just need to test drive one of them and go from there I think.

#17 ·
Personally, I'd go with the SS. Beyond personal preference, theres no other real reason. The 350 may hold more value in the long run and be more of a collector item, if that's your thing, due to its low production numbers, later model year, and only being a "straight from the factory, special order."

If were talking fun factor, I think you'll enjoy that SS much more, but again, that could just be me. Regardless, GL on your hunt and keep us posted!

Reactions: Theking
#20 ·
I have found that importing a 2011, 12 or 13 can be done at about the same price as the supersnake. How do they fit into the mix? Obviously the 13 has the trinity engine, but power put aside (as all can be tuned), is there a night and day handling difference from the old supersnake to the newer base cars?

#21 ·
I have found that importing a 2011, 12 or 13 can be done at about the same price as the supersnake. How do they fit into the mix? Obviously the 13 has the trinity engine, but power put aside (as all can be tuned), is there a night and day handling difference from the old supersnake to the newer base cars?

The biggest differences between the 2011-2014 and the earlier cars are the engine is aluminum (lighter) and they have electronic power steering. There are quite a few other differences as well that you’ll find searching on this forum.

Reactions: Theking
#24 ·
It depends on mileage on both. I see 2013/2014 models with asking prices from $40,000-$55,000. There are some great low mile cars available.

I would recommend searching the Classified section on this forum. You might also consider joining the Shelby GT500 Classified Buy, Sell Trade Facebook page. Both will give you an idea if pricing in the US.

#25 ·
It depends on mileage on both. I see 2013/2014 models with asking prices from $40,000-$55,000. There are some great low mile cars available.

I would recommend searching the Classified section on this forum. You might also consider joining the Shelby GT500 Classified Buy, Sell Trade Facebook page. Both will give you an idea if pricing in the US.
I have searched a lot, but haven't really found any super snakes for sale.

#27 ·
If I were faced with the same decision I would go with the S197 GT350. Very rare, especially after Ford crushed a bunch of them in 2015 as the new GT350's were coming into production.

No matter what the configuration is of the '14 GT350, I would choose it.....and I own a 2013 SuperSnake ;)

#28 ·
They are rare indeed, almost to rare as nobody knows what it is 😅 this one is nice, grabber blue, 614hp, Ford racing suspension and so on. hey actually crushed a bunch? Auch..

I Must admit the 350 is probably the wiser choice, but that 07 super snake has grown on me, with that raw super snake look.. The 350 looks.. I don't know. Like a toy car? I don't know. It's the closest car to me, so I'm going to go check it out. But I really find it hard to let that 07 go...

#31 ·
So a quick update, I have looked at and test driven the gt350 (s197) and I was really Impressed. The grabber blue was amazing, and the somewhat toy car looks from the pictures did not reflect the car at all, and it looked much better in real life. I really like the kit, with large brakes and brake cooling guides, 624 hp and Ford racing suspension. The ride was firm on the local road from the owners house, but once out on the road it was a very good suspension. I did not get a long test drive unfortunately, but for the short drive I got the suspension felt great. Opening up the throttle quickly revealed the big weakness on this car - grip. The tires had no chance in 2nd gear, and 3rd gear put the poor vredestein tires to shame with wheelspin at 50mph. The engine really came to life at 4000rpm, but had surprisingly little grunt in its lower rpm regions. What I really liked, and at the same time disliked, was how sivilized this car was. I was expecting a 624hp monster that would scream and yell, scare the he'll out of me with crazy manners, but that was not the case at all. The exhaust was fairly quiet at low rpm /load, the suspension, apart from being firm over bumps, was comfy and forgiving, I could easily dailyed this car. Even when I floored it and the rear wheels started smoking, there was no drama, it was really i
Easy to drive and I would reeeealy love to explore this cars limits further. What I did not like was the transmission. It was very notchy, 2nd gear was difficult to engage, and there is the whole lawsuit thing..

In the end I really liked it, but I still feel drawn towards the super snake as I really like the 07-09 looks best , so I really need to have a closer look at one and test drive it before I can make up my mind. Unfortunately, the one I was going to look at got sold the same day I called him to say I was coming over, so currently my only options in this country is the 350, a black KR or wait for a snake... Or buy one in the US of course.. Oh the third world problems..

#32 ·
I know this thread is a couple of weeks old, but did we ever hear how "Super" this 2007 Super Snake is? If it is a base production 605HP, that is not so Super, as Super Snakes go and the prices of the 605 horse Super Snakes reflect that. If it is a 725......then that is a different animal, as Super Snakes go....

R

#34 · (Edited)
The only thing to keep in mind is don't get fooled, many 605 owners are pricing their cars at the 725/750 value level. <<The reason why I mention 750hp is because the 2007-2009 725's were upgraded through a tune to 750 in about mid-2010. Also to mention, at that mid-2010 time period, the 605 moved up to 630hp.

On the 725/750's, the Black Kenne Bell was standard and the Polished case was a $1300 option, I have Polished, but in reality, I like both. The Black KB case with the Silver/Alum. end plates looks cool, IMO.

But in reality, there are also owners who are ready for a change in toys and some deals can be found on the 7xxhp Super Snakes, just like any other specialty car that an owner has gotten tired of,......then it is being at the right place at the right time.......with the money.

R

#35 ·
If you're dead-set on a Super Snake then that's cool. But I hope you know that for the price of a "normal" GT500 (around 27k here in the states) and a TVS blower you'll have as much power as a Super Snake or more depending on your goals.

Suspension also isn't terribly difficult or pricey on these cars.

I have an '07 with a FRPP TVS and around 600ish wheel HP. Also have the 2011 GT500 suspension that came with stiffer springs/shocks.

Just depends on what you're after.

#36 ·
^^^^^^All of this is true also and that has to be determined by the buyer. If you are only seeking a powerful GT500 with less money spent, one can be built for less than buying a Super Snake, and in the end, that is what you will have.....a powerful GT500, which is common anywhere GT500's are found.

But......If you want something "unique", that can "also" be modded to the same or more level as a run of the mill GT500, then a Super Snake fits that description. To me it is strange sometimes.....It is like a Super Snake can't be modded?? My thought is.......As the base car being a Super Snake, there is some additional value there (which is shown in the marketplace) because Shelby (or the shop) has actually touched the car and given their CSM blessing. Then after that, as long as an owner does not butcher, cut, drill and weld on the Super Snake, it can be modded like any other GT500, and when it comes to sale time......"back to stock" if the owner chooses. This is not an either/or choice, it is a "common vs. unique" choice, and then also the size of the pocket book for the initial purchase, and the current value (year, miles, color, options) of the specific car.

........and I do agree, it "Just depends on what you're after"........<<that is the bottom line....But I would also assume that the OP would not have listed a Super Snake, a GT500KR or a GT350 as the ISO cars if "unique" was not what he was after?

Also to mention, the 2013/14's (non-Super Snakes) are getting into some nice price ranges......and are GREAT cars......

R

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.