Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just picked up a used 2007 White/Blue GT500. Nice shape, low miles. While driving it home, I noticed a squeaking type noise. It happens when I just start accelerating. Does it in all gears, shift up or down and it does it. As an example, if I'm going say 45MPH, everytime I touch the gas pedal, the noise starts, let off, it goes away. A very light touch on the throttle will do it. It sounds like it's coming from the rear, but I know how sound can transfer and be misleading. It does resemble a belt pulley/tensioner type noise. But it will not do it when idling, or when revving the engine when stopped. It only does it when moving. From my experience, if it's a belt/pulley/tensioner problem, it will usually do it at idle or when revving the engine. It's very persistent.
Any Thoughts, and thanks in advance! Great forum!

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,951 Posts
I'm guessing your upper control arm is sliding around since ford was nice enough to use too small of a bolt. It's a great mod to get rid of wheel hop anyway :). Hope that helps.

·
Registered
165 Posts
It's not your UCA's.

Your rear end is out of spec.

I drove my dealer CRAZY trying to figure this out... but now there is a TSB for it, they have to entirely replace your rear end as one unit, and it is covered by warranty.

Took us a few times to figure out what the noise was, but that was it... and MANY GT500 owners had the same issue. Ford says a good percentage of the 08 builds had rear axles out of spec (slightly warped).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not your UCA's.

Your rear end is out of spec.

I drove my dealer CRAZY trying to figure this out... but now there is a TSB for it, they have to entirely replace your rear end as one unit, and it is covered by warranty.

Took us a few times to figure out what the noise was, but that was it... and MANY GT500 owners had the same issue. Ford says a good percentage of the 08 builds had rear axles out of spec (slightly warped).
OH NO!! I hope you're wrong. I *really* don't want to put this in the garage for any major surgery unless it's necessary. What exactly is out of spec/warped?

Something else I just experienced, though minor. I filled up for the first time and at around 1/2 full the pump shut. I could not get the pump to stay running after that. It took me a while to get the rest in. Is this typical?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I just checked TSB's/SSM's for chirps, squeals and fuel filling problems. Here's what I found.

08-21-06 AXLE WHINE. The fix is to install a damper. I didn't see anything about replacing the entire rear-end.

I don't think this is what I'm experiencing anyway.

07-23-01 SQUEAK/CHIRP/RATTLE. Cars built before 2/28/07. Noise over bumps or when turning. The fix is replacing the lower control arm bushings. No info regarding replacing any in-correct sized bolts.

Bumps/steering have no effect on the noise I'm hearing.

07-21-12 SLOW FUEL FILL. 05's built before 4/26/05 replace tank. 06-07's have the updated tanks, no fix. Says to try another gas station!!

That's all I could find for the Shelby possibly regarding the noise I'm hearing and for the fuel problem. Did I miss something?

·
Registered
165 Posts
You can choose to disbelieve all you like... but that is exactly what the issue is. Thousands of us had the same issue. Mine was doing it when it was brand new (mine had 4 miles on it when I got it).

Out of spec & warped... that means your axle is BENT.

I don't remember the TSB number, but what you referenced isn't it. Stop living in denial and just go get it fixed, it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can choose to disbelieve all you like... but that is exactly what the issue is. Thousands of us had the same issue. Mine was doing it when it was brand new (mine had 4 miles on it when I got it).

Out of spec & warped... that means your axle is BENT.

I don't remember the TSB number, but what you referenced isn't it. Stop living in denial and just go get it fixed, it's not a big deal.
Whoa, coming on a little strong there.

It's not a matter of dis-believing or living in denial. I just wasn't able to locate the TSB you're referring to. If you could find it, that would be great.
Maybe it's on your repair paperwork somewhere? Maybe the dealer you had the work done at could give it to you?

I really appreciate your input on this. I believe you're trying to help me. If that's what the problem is then I will absolutely have it fixed. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my concerns.

I will be bringing in to the shop the end of the week. The more info I can go in with, The better.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sorry, no... I wasn't trying to be abrasive. Sarcasm has no face on the internet.

I'll look through my records and see if the TSB info was on there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry, no... I wasn't trying to be abrasive. Sarcasm has no face on the internet.

Fair enough. If you could get that number that would be great!
Thanks very much for trying.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I have tried. I can't find any TSB's related to the noise I'm hearing. The only one seems to be the axle whine noise. I checked on Ford's Oasis myself, and had a tech try as well. Can't find anything. If you can find it, I would be grateful.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I talked to a tech at Ford in Socal, He wouldn't say if there is a TSB, but they are replacing axles

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mystery solved. Went for a ride with my tech at the garage. No problem hearing the noise. I drove while he sat in the back seat. He was pretty sure the noise was from the left rear wheel area. He connected the chassis ears and road tested it again. BINGO! The noise was coming from the left rear brake caliper. He took the wheel off, lubed up the pad/cradle and caliper slide and re-tested it. Noise was gone. Drove it home after work and no noise. Not sure why it didn't make noise all the time. Weird it was mostly under light acceleration. Anyway, I'm just glad it's gone.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Mystery solved. Went for a ride with my tech at the garage. No problem hearing the noise. I drove while he sat in the back seat. He was pretty sure the noise was from the left rear wheel area. He connected the chassis ears and road tested it again. BINGO! The noise was coming from the left rear brake caliper. He took the wheel off, lubed up the pad/cradle and caliper slide and re-tested it. Noise was gone. Drove it home after work and no noise. Not sure why it didn't make noise all the time. Weird it was mostly under light acceleration. Anyway, I'm just glad it's gone.
Expect it to return.

We did the same thing.

And actually it IS your brake rubbing... because the axle is bent. Give it a week or more (depending on how much you drive) for the lube to wear off, and the sound will return.

I can't find the invoice from when they replaced my rear, I only found one of the earlier invoices where they lubed my "squeaking caliper" and got "test ok" on the end of it. I was back a week later with the same issue, then we found out about the out of spec axles.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Expect it to return.

We did the same thing.

And actually it IS your brake rubbing... because the axle is bent. Give it a week or more (depending on how much you drive) for the lube to wear off, and the sound will return.

I can't find the invoice from when they replaced my rear, I only found one of the earlier invoices where they lubed my "squeaking caliper" and got "test ok" on the end of it. I was back a week later with the same issue, then we found out about the out of spec axles.
Went for a drive last night, the noise IS back. You must be right about this.

How did they test/determine it was a bad axle? How did they *find out* about the axle problem. There is no TSB I can find. I need something I can say or do that will convince them the axle is the problem. Ordering a new axle on my on my word alone probably will not work. Which means we'll try new pads, then a new caliper, etc. I want to skip all that and get right to the problem.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
you can print this post and take it in showing them that others went thru this issue. And they themselves can call Ford Tech line and discuss the issue. I believe there are also other posts on this issue over on teamshelby forum..just do a search. Over there, Grabber also posted all the existing TSB's for our cars. I think it's a sticky thread. Do a search...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Went for a drive last night, the noise IS back. You must be right about this.

How did they test/determine it was a bad axle? How did they *find out* about the axle problem. There is no TSB I can find. I need something I can say or do that will convince them the axle is the problem. Ordering a new axle on my on my word alone probably will not work. Which means we'll try new pads, then a new caliper, etc. I want to skip all that and get right to the problem.
If the axle housing is bent they should be able to pick it up on the alignment rack; the rear camber will be out.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts