Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took a measurement of my stock ride height. It seems that the rear of my car sits 1.25 inches higher than the front. I would like to lower the car a little bit and give it a level stance. So I guess that means I need to get Springs that are 1.25 more drop in the rear? Any suggestions? I’d like to get rid of the 4 x 4 look but I don’t want the car slammed.

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
1,051 Posts
Here's mine after installing the Ford Performance lowering springs.

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
While not the cheapest option, this will give you very precise height adjustment. Both Steeda, Maximum Motorsport and Eibach make a rear seat adjuster that uses 2.5" coil-over springs. The seat adjust has 1.5" of height adjustment, but you have to pair it with the correct spring length depending on the spring rate you choose. If you're keeping your stock springs, you probably want to find out the rear spring rate and get something similar.

If you're working with a spring rate equal to or lower than 175#, I'd get an 11" barrel style spring from Landrum. I have a notion your rear spring is probably in the 150-175 lb. range. For a heavier spring, a 10" coil-over spring will work. I'm currently running a 225# 10" long spring on my car using the Maximum Motorsport adjusters. If you wanted a heavier spring than that, I'd choose a 9" long spring. QA1 has 9" springs, but not a big selection (50# increments). I think you would only have a 250# and 300# option. These are quite heavy and you really want a less spring rate out back than you have up front.

My current ride height. You'd need a shorter spring to get it lower than this as the adjuster is almost bottomed out.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
I tried to level my GT500 with non-adjustable rear springs and I wasn't happy with the results. I used Roush rear springs which lowered the rear of my car 1 1/8". It measured close to level but I thought it looked too high in front. Here are the measurements to the fender lip.

Stock 28 3/8" front 29 6/8" rear w/ Roush rear springs 28 3/8" front 28 5/8" rear

These are pictures with the Roush rear springs.

161.jpg
162.jpg

I ended up lowering it front and rear with GT500KR springs. The KR springs are discontinued, but H&R sport springs appear to give a similar mild drop. Here is a post with pictures.

http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5540

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
My first attempt at lowering the rear was the Roush rear springs. They didn't work out for me. It was lower than I needed with my my tire selection and the spring rate was too heavy. I realized after the fact that I was likely riding on the bump stops. That's something to check with lowering the rear too. I'd recommend at least 1/2" gap between the top of the bump stop and the frame. The top of the bump stop can be trimmed to get that clearance.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Sorry if my post read like I was recommending Roush rear springs. I initially tried lowering just the rear of my car 1.125" and I wasn't happy with the results. I ended up with GT500KR springs that lowered the front .75" and the rear 1.25". The KR springs are no longer available but I think H&R sport springs give a similar mild drop.

With the 1.25" drop my car has a .75" gap to the rear bump stops. I'm using the FRPP M-5700-A Jounce Bumper Kit that is "Recommended for lowered vehicles". They're the same height as stock but Maximum Motorsports has a kit with shorter bump stops if more clearance is needed.

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
Sorry if my post read like I was recommending Roush rear springs.
It didn't. The Roush was available separate from the front was sort of a go-too spring when I got my car, but I don't know too many that kept it back there. It's far better to match the rear and the front springs, like most sets do. That's the reason I recommended sticking with the same spring rate that came with the car.

It's one thing to level the car, but if you haul much of anything, it can bottom out fairly easy using the same, lighter spring rates. For example, say you have 150 lb/in springs out back and you put two 150 lb passengers in the back seat. The car should drop 1" over the normal ride height. Take an inch out with springs and you lose 2" of ride height with passengers. There's a reason for the rake, and if you're like me and most anyone else here, no one rides in the back seat. Probably only makes a real difference if you're running larger tires when clearance matters. Most lowering springs have higher spring rates for that reason. Since you're taking suspension travel out of the suspension, you have to somehow restrict that movement, or travel.

The Ford Performance branded bump stops are same the ones used in the later model GT500 and a little softer than what was used in the earlier model. Same height, different durometer composition. Believe it or not, they're sort of a back-up spring with a good load. The 11 up Performance Package had a lower ride height and the reason for the change. The later cars still had a pretty good rake.

I've run the Maximum Motorsport bump stops, and they are the same ones made by Eibach. But they are really soft and when you bottom them out, it makes for an abrupt impact. Cutting the Ford stops down to size is a better option, or at least has been my experience. They soften the impact in my car.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Thanks for the info on the MM bump stops. I know they're available but I've never used them. With ~1" lowering springs the FRPP/GT500 parts have worked well for me.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
9/05/2013, - delivery day, stock 19's & 20's.

5/07/2015, - NOT LOWERED, 20's all around.

The BASE 13-14 GT500 Wheels was such a nice looking Wheel, too bad FORD never made a wide enough wheel for the S197 GT500 nor spec a quailty tire.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts