Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All! I'm considering buying a GT500 but I've never had a car of this power or tirea that are this sticky. I plan to just use it as a weekend car, so I'm curious how long these tires will last with the track package (MICHELIN
PILOT SPORT CUP 2) given how expensive these tires are online? I greatly appreciate any help you can give and thank for taking the time to help me out.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
38,373 Posts
Hey All! I'm considering buying a GT500 but I've never had a car of this power or tirea that are this sticky. I plan to just use it as a weekend car, so I'm curious how long these tires will last with the track package (MICHELIN
PILOT SPORT CUP 2) given how expensive these tires are online? I greatly appreciate any help you can give and thank for taking the time to help me out.
Welcome to the forum!

They run about $2200 for a set of 4 (305 front 315 rear). How long they last entirely depends on what you do with them. Track days…? You’ll get 3-6 track days depending on how aggressive you are. Street driving…? If you aren’t launching/spinning/attacking corners, they will last a long time. They come with very little tread, so they aren’t the greatest street tires.

If you are up for introducing yourself, you’ll find our new member area here:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum!

They run about $2200 for a set of 4 (305 front 315 rear). How long they last entirely depends on what you do with them. Track days…? You’ll get 3-6 track days depending on how aggressive you are. Street driving…? If you aren’t launching/spinning/attacking corners, they will last a long time. They come with very little tread, so they aren’t the greatest street tires.

Ok great to know! Yea I'll only be using this for street driving purposes. I think I read here that the Sport 4s is better for street driving. I would love to introduce myself but I'll wait until I'm ready to order one. Thank you very much for that information!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
38,373 Posts
Ok great to know! Yea I'll only be using this for street driving purposes. I think I read here that the Sport 4s is better for street driving. I would love to introduce myself but I'll wait until I'm ready to order one. Thank you very much for that information!
4S is a great street tire that is decent on the track. SC2 is a great track tire that is decent on the street.

·
Registered
2013 GT500 in Red Candy.
21 Posts
Second that assessment of the 4S Michelin's. I only street drive my GT500's so they currently are on my 2013 GT500 and were also on my previous 2014 GT500. Great tire and miles ahead of the factory GY's that came on the 13/14 GT500's.

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
1,206 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

That's a lot better price than I got --- I just spent $1000 for 2 PS4S (front) :cry:

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
38,373 Posts
That's a lot better price than I got --- I just spent $1000 for 2 PS4S (front) :cry:
You bought 2 tires for $1000. I bought 4 tires for $2200. Your price was $500 per tire. My “better price” was $550 per tire.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
You bought 2 tires for $1000. I bought 4 tires for $2200. Your price was $500 per tire. My “better price” was $550 per tire.
Yeah, but you bought Sport Cup 2s -- at least the last time I priced those they were a lot more expensive than the base tires. Fair enough it's been awhile since I looked :)

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Hmm ok checking the tirerack pricing --- a set of 4 SC2s are just $100 more than a set of 4 PS4S --- I stand corrected.
Maybe I was looking at the pricing on the SC2Rs --- or maybe I'm just making it up in my head lol.
And it's early --- math is hard 😁

·
Registered
2021 GT500
228 Posts
The 4s and cup 2 are currently the same price for a full set. 2100-2300 depending on where you go.

Reactions: Goose17 and DKnight

·
Registered
2020 GT500
105 Posts
Thanks to whatever problem...(pick one, I suppose,) I've been waiting for two PS4S 305 fronts from TireRack going on two months! No problem with the rears. <grumbling> New wheels are just chillin' in their boxes out in the garage and I hear them hollering at me every time I walk by. :)

Price wise, they were like four and a half a piece if memory serves.

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500
21 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Looks like the price might have gone up. At least through Tire Rack.

·
Premium Member
2012 & 2021 GT500 strippers
8,394 Posts
I'd base the decision on how much I drove the car. If it's only a few thousand miles a year, I'd go SC2. If it's 8,000 or more, I'd go 4s. The tires have a short shelf life. If they're not worn after 4 or 5 years, they're going to need replacement.

Curious why anyone would use the SC2s if they aren't tracking the car.
Traction. The SC2 has much better grip. It's not hard to induce wheel spin with either tire, but the 4s loses traction pretty easy. I have SC2s in my 2012 with about 800 lb ft of torque.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Thanks to whatever problem...(pick one, I suppose,) I've been waiting for two PS4S 305 fronts from TireRack going on two months! No problem with the rears. <grumbling> New wheels are just chillin' in their boxes out in the garage and I hear them hollering at me every time I walk by. :)

Price wise, they were like four and a half a piece if memory serves.
Yeah I got mine through Ford and had to wait a week or so - I didn't price the rears.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
38,373 Posts
Reactions: GT500SC and MLGT500

·
Registered
2021 GT500
228 Posts
I'd base the decision on how much I drove the car. If it's only a few thousand miles a year, I'd go SC2. If it's 8,000 or more, I'd go 4s. The tires have a short shelf life. If they're not worn after 4 or 5 years, they're going to need replacement.

Traction. The SC2 has much better grip. It's not hard to induce wheel spin with either tire, but the 4s loses traction pretty easy. I have SC2s in my 2012 with about 800 lb ft of torque.
Totally different animal. I am assuming he is wanting a 2020+ as these two tires come stock. IMO, the TC, SC and drive modes on the 2020+ are very good. It really isn’t that easy to spin the tires on these cars. You have to be in the right setting and try to spin them. They do spin in cold weather easily. The 4s are a much better tire if you are not going to track it. They last much longer with double the tread wear rating. They actually do all right in the rain as well.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
38,373 Posts
Totally different animal. I am assuming he is wanting a 2020+ as these two tires come stock. IMO, the TC, SC and drive modes on the 2020+ are very good. It really isn’t that easy to spin the tires on these cars. You have to be in the right setting and try to spin them. They do spin in cold weather easily. The 4s are a much better tire if you are not going to track it. They last much longer with double the tread wear rating. They actually do all right in the rain as well.
I just came back from a post-mod test drive… I had the TC off… the rear end lights-up quickly/lovely when the beast is fully unleashed!

·
Registered
2021 GT500
228 Posts
I just came back from a post-mod test drive… I had the TC off… the rear end lights-up quickly/lovely when the beast is fully unleashed!
Dude, you’ve seen me drive lol. I’m saying in normal drive mode with TC on it’s not easy to spin. That being said I drive in track mode with TC off everywhere I go! Lots of spinning

Reactions: Goose17
1 - 20 of 26 Posts