Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Convertible
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm surprised no one as come up with a product to protect the 3 piece splitters on the 13/14's.

I bought a new one and I'm debating about installing it.

I like the look with it on but don't want to be scared to drive the car in fear of gouging it up like the original one that was on the car when I bought it.

·
Registered
2018 GT350
2,969 Posts
You can use a product like Slip-Lo to protect the bottom of them, but the pieces are cheap and easily replaceable for a reason. The only other option would be something like those idiotic Mopar splitter protectors that morons leave attached to their cars.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
43,024 Posts
I have the lower 3 pieces on my 2011 and I painted the upper main part to match my car. I view the lower 3 black pieces as protectors for the main splitter. I’ve scraped them a few times.

·
Banned
2014 Shelby GT500, SGM, " 1 of 1 "
5,819 Posts
My 14's lower 3 pc. splitter went from the trunk to my basement on 5 Sept. 2013,............it's still there..

• Haha
Reactions: AZ21GT500

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Convertible
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can use a product like Slip-Lo to protect the bottom of them, but the pieces are cheap and easily replaceable for a reason. The only other option would be something like those idiotic Mopar splitter protectors that morons leave attached to their cars.
The Slip-Lo will not work with the lip on the splitter....The downward edge of the side pieces would still get chewed up first......I guess at $159 right now, it's not a bad price to replace it when it gets chewed up but if Dodge can have a splitter protector, we should also :)

·
Registered
2018 GT350
2,969 Posts
The dodge splitter protectors are to protect them from being curbed while low level dealer employees move them around the lot. They're not designed to be left on the car and actually trap dirt and debris behind them damaging the splitter itself.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Convertible
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The dodge splitter protectors are to protect them from being curbed while low level dealer employees move them around the lot. They're not designed to be left on the car and actually trap dirt and debris behind them damaging the splitter itself.
Maybe on a daily driver but not on a weekend only car :) :)

·
Registered
2018 GT350
2,969 Posts
Maybe on a daily driver but not on a weekend only car :) :)
Maybe just take it off to protect it like @1 Alibi 2 did. I don't personally see the point in putting the additional splitter pieces on the car only to then cover it up with something to protect it to the point where you can't see it anymore and certainly not to the point Dodge went by making that cover some disgustingly gaudy color that only partially covers the thing you're trying to protect anyway.

Or head down to Walmart and solve it for $4.95 with a pool noodle.

Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

·
Premium Member
2014 GT500 Ruby Red
560 Posts
The Dodge “protectors” were a shipping item only initially, but so many left them on, Dodge added them and just made them a part of the splitter! 🙄

You see it going down the road with them on and it looks like a bumper car at a carnival. Dodge should probably include a helmet with the car also, I dunno maybe they already do.

• Haha
Reactions: AZ21GT500

·
Registered
2018 GT350
2,969 Posts
The Dodge “protectors” were a shipping item only initially, but so many left them on, Dodge added them and just made them a part of the splitter! 🙄

You see it going down the road with them on and it looks like a bumper car at a carnival. Dodge should probably include a helmet with the car also, I dunno maybe they already do.
Dodge's designer hated them so much he made them change the color from yellow to fuschia

·
Premium Member
2014 Ruby Red Shelby GT500
618 Posts
I love the look of the lower splitter. I’m getting ready to order my third one because I scraped mine at Mustang Week. Not the actions of a smart person. I’m under the impression I can drive my car and not damage it. I am wrong. Need that new one for the next car show🤪

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Convertible
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love the look of the lower splitter. I’m getting ready to order my third one because I scraped mine at Mustang Week. Not the actions of a smart person. I’m under the impression I can drive my car and not damage it. I am wrong. Need that new one for the next car show🤪
So I assume I have to approach every speed bump, steep driveway, etc at an angle to avoid chewing up the new one.....Almost takes the joy out of driving it :)....Guess I should have ordered two.....

·
Banned
2014 Shelby GT500, SGM, " 1 of 1 "
5,819 Posts
So I assume I have to approach every speed bump, steep driveway, etc at an angle to avoid chewing up the new one.....Almost takes the joy out of driving it :)....Guess I should have ordered two.....
And the reason mine never left the box it came in..

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
43,024 Posts
I like the look too… gives the front a more aggressive look. I would not recommend the lower 3 pieces on a car that has been lowered below stock ride height. I am careful with approach angles in my 2011 and I still scrape periodically. I am at stock ride height.

·
Premium Member
2014 Ruby Red Shelby GT500
618 Posts
Most of the time the scrapes on the bottom can be sanded down and look decent. My last episode turning into a parking lot somehow scraped it on the top

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
43,024 Posts
Yup! I had a scrape so hard one time that it popped my bumper cover out on the side. It popped right back in. I hit a dip straight on with both front wheels. The file trick works well for normal bottom scrapes.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Convertible
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, I guess the new one is staying in the box in case the new owner (if I sell it one of these days) wants the car original:rolleyes:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Maybe just take it off to protect it like @1 Alibi 2 did. I don't personally see the point in putting the additional splitter pieces on the car only to then cover it up with something to protect it to the point where you can't see it anymore and certainly not to the point Dodge went by making that cover some disgustingly gaudy color that only partially covers the thing you're trying to protect anyway.

Or head down to Walmart and solve it for $4.95 with a pool noodle.

View attachment 243022
this might be the first and only time you see everyone except a challenger photographed with yellow banana protector on ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts