Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

· Premium Member
2007 GT500
5,812 Posts
I am and wow, I didn't know all that! My brother ran that track for a few years in a big-ass Buick that embarrassed many folks. He got so fast they finally banned him unless he got a roll cage installed. The guy in the John Deere cap was our dad - he loved watching Chris race:
Wow! That thing is hauling the mail. That big boat ran a 10.32. It’s kicking our cars to the curb, even the 10.61 2020.

· Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
53,943 Posts

· Premium Member
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·

· Premium Member
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Wow! That thing is hauling the mail. That big boat ran a 10.32. It’s kicking our cars to the curb, even the 10.61 2020.
He never got it dyno'd, but with 496ci, go-fast internals and double-fogger nitrous he estimated 1k HP at the crank. The track announcer you hear always called it "The big boofer" :ROFLMAO: I'm sure it wouldn't be any good for half or full mile runs, though - just 1/4 mile racing.

· Registered
2020 GT500 Rapid Red / 2020 GT350 Wimbledon White
100 Posts
Similar issues happen with airports... an airport gets built out away from populous... then people start building houses near the airport. Next come the noise complaints. Eventually there are all sorts of restrictions placed on planes to include financial penalties for “noise violations.” Some of these airports eventually get closed-down.
He could have adjusted the exhaust

· Moderator/Admin Dude!
53,943 Posts
He could have adjusted the exhaust
The exhaust is indeed selectable, but it very well might open when hitting WOT. I haven’t tested this to be sure, but it gets loud when mashing the pedal even in normal mode.

· #1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
12,147 Posts
The exhaust is indeed selectable, but it very well might open when hitting WOT. I haven’t tested this to be sure, but it gets loud when mashing the pedal even in normal mode.
My GT350 seems to do that. If I have it in normal mode (rarely!) I do notice that if I accelerate, hard, it seems to revert back to the sport mode and is definitely louder. I think that would be a problem on the track, hence his conundrum!

· Registered
2013 Shelby GT500 SuperSnake
490 Posts
Apparently they have mics throughout the course. Different decibel levels on different days. He was there on a 103 dB day and exceeded it. Said the reason is there are houses close to the track.
There is a microphone, but only at turn 5, and only on the passenger side of the vehicle.
Laguna Seca is more than a racetrack, its a "natural" area that has hiking trails, camp grounds, etc.
There are a couple effective ways people have worked around this constraint. You can either just let out of the throttle in Turn 5, or you can "fashion" some exhaust extensions that turn your tail pipes towards the drivers side of the car. Obviously the first option is the easiest, but I saw some creative, temporary exhaust mods on some cars when I tracked there years ago.

· Registered
2020 GT500 Rapid Red / 2020 GT350 Wimbledon White
100 Posts
I didn't know that, I'll have to try it in quiet exhaust mode and then give it a good go and see what happens

· Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
1,747 Posts
There is a microphone, but only at turn 5, and only on the passenger side of the vehicle.
Laguna Seca is more than a racetrack, its a "natural" area that has hiking trails, camp grounds, etc.
There are a couple effective ways people have worked around this constraint. You can either just let out of the throttle in Turn 5, or you can "fashion" some exhaust extensions that turn your tail pipes towards the drivers side of the car. Obviously the first option is the easiest, but I saw some creative, temporary exhaust mods on some cars when I tracked there years ago.
Love the pic. Looks like I was there! Curious why no stripes on the roof and I guess you changed the stripes to blue?

· Moderator/Admin Dude!
53,943 Posts
Love the pic. Looks like I was there! Curious why no stripes on the roof and I guess you changed the stripes to blue?
He has a glass roof Jon and sent his car in to get a Super Snake conversion. At that time, Austin had blue stripes put on the car.

· Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
1,747 Posts
He has a glass roof Jon and sent his car in to get a Super Snake conversion. At that time, Austin had blue stripes put on the car.
10-4

· Registered
595 Posts
Latest video from Speed Phenom, he is going to get supercar due to C8 mid engine experience. I can see why after my experience with my C8.

I love both car my 07 GT500 just pure raw experience and C8 for all technologies and mid engine.

here some pics of both cars and one video with my new ppf and wrap of my C8.

· Moderator/Admin Dude!
53,943 Posts
Latest video from Speed Phenom, he is going to get supercar due to C8 mid engine experience. I can see why after my experience with my C8.

I love both car my 07 GT500 just pure raw experience and C8 for all technologies and mid engine.

here some pics of both cars and one video with my new ppf and wrap of my C8.

View attachment 208268

View attachment 208269
I think Speed Phenom will lose someone of his audience going this route. He has always had Mustangs and has quite a bit of Mustangs fans tuning in for his videos. “Know your audience” comes to mind.

· Registered
2023 Camaro ZL1 convertible
839 Posts
Procharger has gone and done it. Releasing a kit for the C8. 700+hp.

Again, I'm not a C8 fanboy. Just passing on an item I received today. I'm guessing the link will work....

· Premium Member
2008 GT500 Coupe 2015 Jeep SRT
2,252 Posts
The C8 sounds pretty sweet with that whine...

Reactions: Jus Cruisin

· Registered
2022 GT500
38 Posts
I watched it...He raced his C8 and lost but the GT500 was spinning off the line terribly and he never could catch back up. However, in the finish he was doing like 11 MPH faster than the C8 which will lead me to believe if the GT500 hooked up then it would have been a different result.
So I think you all are misunderstanding the point of 1/2 mile racing. It is not who goes through the trap first. It is who was trapped at the highest MPH at the trap. In this case the GT500 blew the C8 away as it should. 11 MPH faster in the 1/2 mile is saying a lot about the HP difference.

Point in case is most 1/2 mile races have a 200mph club...well I can tell you most cars that I see do 200 MPH in the 1/2 mile do not come out hard or fast...the C8 or an AWD stock GTR might beat them to the trap but they are going 200mph when they get to the trap and that is what 1/2 mile racing is about.

Yes of course it is a fun place to line up with a buddy to see who gets to the trap first but when I had my HC I cannot tell you how many cars like a Tesla P100D beat me to the trap and when the guy came talking smack in the pits I asked to see his slip...142mph to my 153mph...he just lowered his head and walked away. LOL

· Registered
2008 725 Super Snake
6,138 Posts
So I think you all are misunderstanding the point of 1/2 mile racing. It is not who goes through the trap first. It is who was trapped at the highest MPH at the trap. In this case the GT500 blew the C8 away as it should. 11 MPH faster in the 1/2 mile is saying a lot about the HP difference.

Point in case is most 1/2 mile races have a 200mph club...well I can tell you most cars that I see do 200 MPH in the 1/2 mile do not come out hard or fast...the C8 or an AWD stock GTR might beat them to the trap but they are going 200mph when they get to the trap and that is what 1/2 mile racing is about.

Yes of course it is a fun place to line up with a buddy to see who gets to the trap first but when I had my HC I cannot tell you how many cars like a Tesla P100D beat me to the trap and when the guy came talking smack in the pits I asked to see his slip...142mph to my 153mph...he just lowered his head and walked away. LOL
From what I remember, the 2013 662hp GT500 (200mph) took almost a mile to get there with the 3.31 gears........I would guess the 2013 GT500 1/2 mile would trap far less than 200mph..............just for a comparo for the 200mph club..........

R

· Registered
Numerous
1,988 Posts

Standing half-mile 200MPH club members are driving modified cars. The same is true for most standing mile 200MPH club members.

From what I remember, the 2013 662hp GT500 (200mph) took almost a mile to get there with the 3.31 gears........I would guess the 2013 GT500 1/2 mile would trap far less than 200mph..............just for a comparo for the 200mph club..........
A stock 2013 662hp GT500 with the 3.31 gears will not get there (200MPH) in a standing mile, much less a standing half-mile. In stock form, mine did 150-155MPH in the Pikes Peak Airstrip Attack standing half-mile (160MPH from a roll) and 170MPH in the Colorado Mile standing mile. DA was over 8K feet for all runs. (CO Mile staff members estimated an additional 5-8MPH in their TX Mile event, due to lower DA, but I have no first-hand experience there.)

· Registered
2008 725 Super Snake
6,138 Posts
Standing half-mile 200MPH club members are driving modified cars. The same is true for most standing mile 200MPH club members.

A stock 2013 662hp GT500 with the 3.31 gears will not get there (200MPH) in a standing mile, much less a standing half-mile. In stock form, mine did 150-155MPH in the Pikes Peak Airstrip Attack standing half-mile (160MPH from a roll) and 170MPH in the Colorado Mile standing mile. DA was over 8K feet for all runs. (CO Mile staff members estimated an additional 5-8MPH in their TX Mile event, due to lower DA, but I have no first-hand experience there.)
Yes, and I believe you are right about the 662 and 1 mile, I was incorrect on that, if I remember correctly it took almost 2 miles to get to 200mph..........

R

41 - 60 of 62 Posts