Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
And the interesting part Speed Phenom in his new video he is selling the car. The cost of tires and fuel makes it not fun and he is stepping away for a while. He said the tires last 1 track day and cost 2000.00 and for the day he had to fill the tank 5 times.

·
Registered
2020 GT500
38 Posts
I still stay "up" on Corvettes. I've owned 8 over the years, my last being a 2016 Z06 Convertible. Anyway, there are basically stock C8's now running in the 10's. A Corvette Forum member recently posted his C8 run. The car is running headers. It was 10.6 @ 128. No drag radials or anything like that. Also not a race team tweeking every last hp out of it. Anyway, just posted for informational use.

I don't bleed Ford blue (I have owned 5 Mustangs). I like "American" cars. I think the 2020 GT500 in stock configuration is a roll race (which I abhor) car. It'll never be worth a hoot from the dig....stock. That's not saying I don't like it. I appreciate the all of the technical stuff done to it. I am slowly warming up to the looks. Just not crazy about the large mouth bass front end. I know it is necessary for cooling. That was a huge downfall with the C7 Z06. Not enough cooling to track it.

Anyway that's it for what it is worth.....
I'm trying to follow the next generation Z06 that should be on the way in a year or so, the leaked information doesn't seem all that great but who knows what is accurate at this point. I would expect it to be at least as good or better that the 2016 Z06. I have a good friend that has one and it is very nice! That car is what got me interested in the corvette world as well as some 67' Stingrays.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
The GT500 driver was very much asleep at the light and didn’t know how to peddle the car. I would have sticky rear tires for this race and have a very different result.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The Cali Shift Sector Event was at the "New" Coalinga Municipal Airport. The Final Event of the season. Earlier events in Colorado and Texas we're cancelled. The C8 Red Corvette was also Speed Phenom's car, his friend was driving it. Looks like he was sleeping on the light. Comparing the 13-14 Shelby to the '20, the 13-14 would probably need a Tune, TB, Intake and probably a smaller Pulley on '93 to match the '20 Cars RWHP stock. '91 "Premium" in Cali. The '20 DCT will still make a huge difference. Would like to try it sometime, about 4 hours each way for me..

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
35,322 Posts
The GT500 driver was very much asleep at the light and didn’t know how to peddle the car. I would have sticky rear tires for this race and have a very different result.
The Cali Shift Sector Event was at the "New" Coalinga Municipal Airport. The Final Event of the season. Earlier events in Colorado and Texas we're cancelled. The C8 Red Corvette was also Speed Phenom's car, his friend was driving it. Looks like he was sleeping on the light. Comparing the 13-14 Shelby to the '20, the 13-14 would probably need a Tune, TB, Intake and probably a smaller Pulley on '93 to match the '20 Cars RWHP stock. '91 "Premium" in Cali. The '20 DCT will still make a huge difference. Would like to try it sometime, about 4 hours each way for me..
The owner/driver (Austin) was not “sleeping at the light.” He just chose poorly. He opted to use launch control, which initially sounds like a good idea until you understand launch control in these cars. There is a delay of at least a 1/2 second from the time you release the brake pedal until the car starts motion. This works great when using a drag tree as you can time the launch by releasing the brake a hair early while watching the lights. Launch control would be a poor choice if all you have is “GO” or someone dropping their arms with no other tell/hint that you are about to go. You will be starting late going this route.

As for the tires, the OEM tires on the car are fairly sticky. They are Sport Cup 2s, but they are designed for road courses. A drag radial would offer a better launch for a straight line race like this, but drag radials would still not offer the end-all grip if there is blowing dust/sand on asphalt.

Also of note: when using launch control, you don’t “pedal the car.” You keep your foot to the floor and allow the tech to work.

Reactions: SVO

·
Registered
2011 GT500
163 Posts
I'm trying to follow the next generation Z06 that should be on the way in a year or so, the leaked information doesn't seem all that great but who knows what is accurate at this point. I would expect it to be at least as good or better that the 2016 Z06. I have a good friend that has one and it is very nice! That car is what got me interested in the corvette world as well as some 67' Stingrays.
I think a hybrid, maybe all wheel drive, will be next up. Some say they've spotted one out in Colorado in camo. Nothing official.... The Z06 seems to be getting delayed. I'm still not thrilled with the C8 but it's a lot of a car for $70,000+/-.

Reactions: Norton and SVO

·
Registered
2011 GT500
163 Posts
Reactions: SVT662

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500 Coupe, Triple Black
1,754 Posts
I think a hybrid, maybe all wheel drive, will be next up. Some say they've spotted one out in Colorado in camo. Nothing official.... The Z06 seems to be getting delayed. I'm still not thrilled with the C8 but it's a lot of a car for $70,000+/-.
Lots of spy photos, including some from a friend who saw it first-hand on I-70 in the mountains. No indication whether it was hybrid or all-wheel drive, but I've seen less chatter about those possibilities than I have on potential (primary) power plants.

Like you, I'm not a fan of the C8's design either. Makes me happy to have my '13 GT500 and '19 C7Z in the garage.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
I was thinking about the info. highlighted in Red that you mentioned above ^^^^^^. So are you saying the 495hp C8 Stingray that won the 1/2 mile pull in the video was also Speed Phantoms car (the owner of the 2020 GT500)?

................and if this is what you are saying.......a non-owner of this C8, someone without intimate knowledge of that car, can hop in and put that car into a 1/2 mile standing start pull and do what we see was done in the video? If so, that alone is impressive........

........or am I mistaken in who owned what cars in the video?

R

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I was thinking about the info. highlighted in Red that you mentioned above ^^^^^^. So are you saying the 495hp C8 Stingray that won the 1/2 mile pull in the video was also Speed Phantoms car (the owner of the 2020 GT500)?

................and if this is what you are saying.......a non-owner of this C8, someone without intimate knowledge of that car, can hop in and put that car into a 1/2 mile standing start pull and do what we see was done in the video? If so, that alone is impressive........

........or am I mistaken in who owned what cars in the video?
Yes, that's what he's saying - I believe both cars belong to the so-called "Phenom." To be fair, however, it's unclear (to me, at least) how much drive time his "friend" has in the car.

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
1,191 Posts
He just posted a new video. He took the 2020 and C8 to Laguna Seca and was kicked off in the 2020 because it was too loud. Leave it to CA :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Yes, that's what he's saying - I believe both cars belong to the so-called "Phenom." To be fair, however, it's unclear (to me, at least) how much drive time his "friend" has in the car.
Yes, and I agree his friend may have been in that C8 often.......maybe?

With the way he made that C8 perform, maybe the friend should have been driving the 2020 GT500?

R

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
He just posted a new video. He took the 2020 and C8 to Laguna Seca and was kicked off in the 2020 because it was too loud. Leave it to CA :rolleyes:
Leave it to CA to take stupid to a whole new level.

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
1,191 Posts
What did they used to call that???? Noise Pollution?

R
Apparently they have mics throughout the course. Different decibel levels on different days. He was there on a 103 dB day and exceeded it. Said the reason is there are houses close to the track.

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Apparently they have mics throughout the course. Different decibel levels on different days. He was there on a 103 dB day and exceeded it. Said the reason is there are houses close to the track.
Noise limit on a race track. That just doesn't compute to me. But, I've seen a 1/4 mile track close to KC shut down for that reason, so not so far fetched, I suppose.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
35,322 Posts
Noise limit on a race track. That just doesn't compute to me. But, I've seen a 1/4 mile track close to KC shut down for that reason, so not so far fetched, I suppose.
Similar issues happen with airports... an airport gets built out away from populous... then people start building houses near the airport. Next come the noise complaints. Eventually there are all sorts of restrictions placed on planes to include financial penalties for “noise violations.” Some of these airports eventually get closed-down.

Reactions: Keeno

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
I’m guessing you’re talking about KCIR. The closing was a total joke. Some developer decided to build homes close to the track and then the homeowners complained about the noise. To make it worse, politicians bought the land for pennies on the dollar with the threat of immanent domain and sold it to the city for $1.5 million to make it a park. The EPA came in and said nope due to the decades of oil, fuel, etc that had been spilled. So, the land is just sitting wasting away. This track had a great history since 1967. The big boys used to run on this track.

Reactions: 03reptile

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I’m guessing you’re talking about KCIR. The closing was a total joke. Some developer decided to build homes close to the track and then the homeowners complained about the noise. To make it worse, politicians bought the land for pennies on the dollar with the threat of immanent domain and sold it to the city for $1.5 million to make it a park. The EPA came in and said nope due to the decades of oil, fuel, etc that had been spilled. So, the land is just sitting wasting away. This track had a great history since 1967. The big boys used to run on this track.
I am and wow, I didn't know all that! My brother ran that track for a few years in a big-ass Buick that embarrassed many folks. He got so fast they finally banned him unless he got a roll cage installed. The guy in the John Deere cap was our dad - he loved watching Chris race:

21 - 40 of 56 Posts