Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way of disconnecting the speed limiter on the Shelby GT 500?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I think mine may have been turned off with my tune. I've had it 150mph...on a closed track of course. :rolleyes: I have the Evo tune.
It can be changed when down loading a tune through the optional parameters settings on your tuner. I changed my RPM limiter to 6500 as Evolution's tune has it set at 7000. A little too high for my liking. I believe the speed limiter can also be set under this option.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thinks I also have the EVO tune as well. I will have to investigate it more, so when I go the the Nashville Super Speedway Track event I will be able to let her hang loose.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thinks I also have the EVO tune as well. I will have to investigate it more, so when I go the the Nashville Super Speedway Track event I will be able to let her hang loose.
Does Anybody know what the top speed of an ungoverned GT500 would be?
Just curious, mine will be here in a few weeks and I am getting a little anxious.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
If my memory is right, about 190 give or take 5 mph.:eek:

·
Registered
933 Posts
Canada#7_Shelby,

That's pushing 300 Kilometres per hour.

Or if you prefer, Calgary to Edmonton in less than an hour.

Yahoooo!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Canada#7_Shelby,

That's pushing 300 Kilometres per hour.

Or if you prefer, Calgary to Edmonton in less than an hour.

Yahoooo!
Awesome...
Things will be a little blurry on the trip to Edmonton
190 mph = 304 kph then plus/minus 5 mph hopefully plus
195 mph = 312 kph
I will need to upgrade my radar detector or I might end up in jail.
How far does the speedo go?

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Awesome...
195 mph = 312 kph

Till you run out of gas:p 160mph but who's counting.You can go faster than that but you shouldn't be looking at the speedo anyways.:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
933 Posts
07 Shelby,

That's right.

Canada#7_Shelby,

At that speed, looking at the speedometer will most likely be the last thing you see before being asked by St. Peter "what brings 'you' up here in such a hurry"?

At which point you've only got but one answer, "my Shelby".

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Awesome...
195 mph = 312 kph
If you want to go faster,let me know and I will tell you how to take your software limit off:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Sammy Hagar had a Shelby and wrote a song about it.Do you remember?"I can't drive 175".He sold it in 2006 at Barrett Jackson Action.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you want to go faster,let me know and I will tell you how to take your software limit off:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Sammy Hagar had a Shelby and wrote a song about it.Do you remember?"I can't drive 175".He sold it in 2006 at Barrett Jackson Action.
07 SHELBY,

Thanks for the offer, I will definitely take you up on it. I would like to get a programmer that I can change myself, then when it's time for service, set the program back to the factory settings, for warranty purposes. Is that possible? Due to warranty concerns, I am only planning on the basic upgrades that won't affect the coverage, like cold air intake & a set of catbacks. Then the programmer, that can be "unprogrammed".
What do you think?

Arbour88,

I can do these minor upgrades on mine, then when yours gets here we can do the same to it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If my memory is right, about 190 give or take 5 mph?

Whoever said that must have a White/Blue one. :D

I've had mine up to the 155 limiter and it does work. The car actually feels pretty stable at that speed. Where can you go that fast (or faster) legally? Nashville is a little too far for me to drive. The only track events I've been able to do are road courses. I'd LOVE to get out on a big superspeedway and let it roll!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi there 07 Shelby,
Yep, want to take it off. How do we do that and still stay on warranty?
Thanks... :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Hi there 07 Shelby,
Yep, want to take it off. How do we do that and still stay on warranty?
Thanks... :cool:
Don't tell anyone.You can do it with a handheld programmer like SCT.I like SCT because there is a lot of support from the company and more programmers use it than the other handhelds.This is my opinion.If you get a custom tune from a tune shop you can tell them to take the limit control off but tell them no more than 6500rpm on the rpm limiter.That gives you a little room for error and your motor should like it better.Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Thanks 07. Not sure if anyone here in boonies, Pa. would know how to do that though. I'd just like to get it done so I would know it would do more...;) ;) ;)

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Yes Sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Don't tell anyone.You can do it with a handheld programmer like SCT.I like SCT because there is a lot of support from the company and more programmers use it than the other handhelds.This is my opinion.If you get a custom tune from a tune shop you can tell them to take the limit control off but tell them no more than 6500rpm on the rpm limiter.That gives you a little room for error and your motor should like it better.Hope this helps.
07 Shelby,
Thanks.
For everyone else, from what I understand from doing a bit more research elsewhere is that you can simply buy one of these programmers that plugs into your cars computer plug in and change the parameters there. Whether it's no speed limiter or more HP.
I agree that 6500rpm is enough revs, no need to go beyond that I think.
Then when you are due for you next service, simply plug the programmer back in and change it back to stock.
Sounds pretty easy.
A friend of mine told me to buy the programmer, then rent time on a dyno, to fine tune the car while I was at it.
Sorry if I over simplified this, it's just that if a guy hasn't done this yet, it's nice to have some concensus on the right way to do it.
Thanks again for your input.
:)

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
07 Shelby,
Thanks.
For everyone else, from what I understand from doing a bit more research elsewhere is that you can simply buy one of these programmers that plugs into your cars computer plug in and change the parameters there. Whether it's no speed limiter or more HP.
I agree that 6500rpm is enough revs, no need to go beyond that I think.
Then when you are due for you next service, simply plug the programmer back in and change it back to stock.
Sounds pretty easy.
A friend of mine told me to buy the programmer, then rent time on a dyno, to fine tune the car while I was at it.
Sorry if I over simplified this, it's just that if a guy hasn't done this yet, it's nice to have some concensus on the right way to do it.
Thanks again for your input.
:)

You're welcome.It was 81 F yesterday and I took the Shelby out for the 1st time in months.Before I went out I changed my tune and a couple parameters.Ran great.The only problem I had was my wife.I jumped on it and she spilled her water all over her lap and my daughter laughed.I got the look.If you are married you know the look1:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts