Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know what you are getting for a spare tire on the new Shelby's?........................................................................
C'mon anybody?...............................................................
Ok, you are going to get a small D.C. air compressor/fix a flat combo.When you start filling your tire with air,fix a flat liquid comes out too.I wouldn't have believed it but I saw it.The pump assembly is inserted into a large piece of foam with a handle built in.Sometimes reality is stranger than fiction.

·
Registered
51 Posts
No spare tire comes with the car. A "Tire Inflation Kit" is included. I think this is similar to the GT....Call Roadside Assistance. More trunk space.

Sofa King

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm thinking I read somewhere that Ford used the 'too much weight' scapegoat on the spare tire and the IRS or lack of both in this case. The car is coming in @ nearly 4000 lbs...If the engineers were truly concerned about putting the car on a diet, there are a whole bunch of other places they could have started. Just a future thread thought here...It would be nice to see a factory 'Lighweight' model of this car...An 07 GT500R if you will...

ShelbyWise :D

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is no room in the trunk to put a spare.It's not about weight.They even tried to recess the floor of the trunk but the sheet metal hit the calipers on the rear brakes.Besides the front and the rear tires and wheels are different sizes!

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
...and besides, that's what AAA is for ;)

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
.....and Ford does give you 36 months 36,000 miles bumper to bumper with road side assistance.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
07 SHELBY said:
.....and Ford does give you 36 months 36,000 miles bumper to bumper with road side assistance.
Even better. We don't need no stinkin' spare tires :)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I lightweight version of the Shelby? hmmmm...call it the GT500 "reduced carbohydrate" model.

Seriously though, a few tips for those who end up with one. I used to be a brake and front end mechanic. With the fix-a-flat, it is important to drive the car immediately after shooting the stuff in. It is heavy, and if allowed to settle in one part of the tire, not only will it NOT seal the leak, but it will throw your wheel out of balance. Then you have to go to the garage, they must dismount the tire, clean it out, reinstall the tire, and rebalance it...whew....that'll cost ya about $25....and just hope they don't scratch your rims while doing all of that.

Dave

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Has anyone had to use the "fix-a-flat" stuff that comes with our cars??

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
I've used fix-a-flat but not on the Shelby. You do have to drive it at least 5 miles and if it is a hole the tire company's usually charge extra for cleaning the goop out. If you don't drive it enough to spread it out it does throw the tire out of balance extremely! Better than changing it yourself though!:D

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I have always heard that this type stuff destroys the integrity of the rim?

·
Registered
3,077 Posts

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
No, but I have seen many tires that have used it...in my old life as a mechanic. What do you want to know?

Dave

Do you believe it messes up the rim like most people say?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Last week I pulled a front wheel and tested it in the spare tire well - it fits. The only interference is the lower lip of the plastic trim piece along the back inside of the trunk. No interference with the fuel pump connectors or whatever.
I'm in the process of fitting a set of CS56s. When the process is complete, I'll use one of the stock front tire/wheels as a spare. I don't care if the car gains a few pounds in the rear since I don't drag race. A bottle jack, a flat plate to put the jack upon, and lug wrench should round out the package. AAA is fine, and I use it. But with my luck I'll get stuck fifty miles from East Birdcrap late some night. Rather be the master of my destiny.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I've used it in multiple vehicles for more than 15 years and I've never noticed any rim damage. Of course after I use it my next stop is to the tire store to get it fixed correctly and get that stuff out of there.:)

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
No, but I have seen many tires that have used it...in my old life as a mechanic. What do you want to know?

Dave
Thanks Dave.

What Bill said - but also that it pretty much ruines the tire? I've never had to use it, but I've had 2 neighbors who did over the winter and both said that the tire shops they brought it to (they were both tires w/ about 4-5k miles on them - still good) said that they wouldn't clean them out and just made them buy a new tire. Sounds crazy that they couldn't just patch/plug an otherwise good tire because of the fix-a-flat.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts

"Messes up" is a highly technical term. :D

It just requires some cleanup for the tire tech. Done properly, most of the stuff will be in the tire, not on the rim. You are supposed to immediately drive at speed after putting the stuff in the tire...thus it get's "thrown out" onto the tire as you drive. If you don't drive it at speed, it will make your assembly be unbalanced because the "stuff" will accumulate in one spot, then you'll have vibration problems.

Back in my day we did not have TPMS, so I don't know if it will ruin the sensor. I'd prefer not to use the stuff, and if I wasn't in a hurry I'd just leave the car, take the wheel/tire to get it fixed, and return with it....not using the inflator kit. However, if it's dark and your in eastern Kansas City or LA, you might want to get outta there fast...so I see the inflator kit as a last resort.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts