Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bit the bullet and purchased wheels for the car.

Now having done so I am very strongly considering the following:

1) using 1 of the OEM wheels as the spare
2) keeping two of the wheels to use for drag radials
3) selling the remaining wheel, as my garage is already cramped.
4) selling the remaining two tires (~5200 miles, no burn outs, on holes/nails/patches)
5) sell the remaining front tire (~5200 miles, no burn outs, on holes/nails/patches)

To enact item (1) I need to locate a jack. Should I consider the OEM options or are those just throwaway junk? Or should I just get an aluminum floor jack with a storage case?

For item (2) I have to decide between Mickey Thompson and M&H for tires. Suggestions?

Items (3) and (4) will be addressed in the Parts For Sale section

pics forthcoming when the rain ceases.....

·
Registered
346 Posts
I would hang on to them. You never know someday you may decide to sell the car and the person wanting to buy it may want the original rims and tires. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I would hang on to them. You never know someday you may decide to sell the car and the person wanting to buy it may want the original rims and tires. Just my thoughts.
+1

For what you would get selling them I would keep them as well; spray a protective coating on them and put them in the rafters for a rainy day.

If you just want a set of rims to run slicks on you can pick up a lot of options used with partially worn rubber for next to nothing especially given the state of the economy.

·
Registered
85 Posts
When I put new rims on my car, I kept a front tire / rim for a spare and stored the others since I have the space. With a front tire / rim as a spare in the spare well, the trunk floor mat sits about two inches higher than before. I had thought I might use some expanded foam sheet (insulation) to bring up the floor level on either side of the spare, but I haven't bothered to do it yet since it doesn't seem to be a bother. The piece of mind of having a spare is worth the extra poundage to me. I bought a new OEM jack on-line from one of the Ford parts dot coms. I think it cost about twenty bucks +/- - didn't want a junkyard castoff in MY car. You can use the hook bolt from the inflation package to hold down the jack. The hook bolt isn't long enough to hold down the spare, but it could be extended with a coupling and threaded rod segment - something I will do someday if the tire seems to bounce on bumps. I had to get a deep socket and long breaker bar from Sears for the wrench since my Shelby wheels inset the lug nuts pretty deeply. Problem solved.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts