Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My brand new Tranny has done this from Day 1. When I start the car it whines for 15 seconds or so. You can hear the release bearing rubbing. Then it chatters and goes away. It will not do it again untill the car sits for about 5-6 hours.

This bearing is called a CSC bearing. Concentric Slave Cylinder is what it stands for. Our GT500's have the same CSC part number as the 4.6 GT's and the V-6 pony cars.

My car goes in the Shop Monday to get this part replaced. It came brand new on my tranny and is defective. There is basically no way to damage it during installation because it floats on the input shaft.

Here is a video of the noise.

EDIT: I just added another Video/Sound clip after my car sat 24 hours. This time right after the start up, I pressed on the clutch pedal 1/8 of an inch several times. You will hear the sound goes away when I press on the clutch, and then comes right back when I let off on it.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The CSC bearing one unit and is part with the Green boot in this photo. The 2 bolts with the orange dots on it need to come out and the new one bolts right up in that spot.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Wow.:eek: That is not something I could not live with either. Much louder than I imagined. It would drive me nuts. Thanks for sharing.

Cal

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
That sounds bad. :(

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Wow.

I could hear it no problem.

Thanks for the vid!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for sharing. Sounds like metal to metal rubbing. Is the throw-out bearing part of that assembly?
Yes. They don't call it that anymore. IT's called a CSC bearing. It is run with hydrolics. Concentric Slave Cylinder.

·
Premium Member
7,302 Posts
Wow.:eek: That is not something I could not live with either. Much louder than I imagined. It would drive me nuts. Thanks for sharing.

Cal
Hey Cal.....open your front door while I start my car up.

OK....can you hear it?????

Wow, Grabber, that pup's making some noise!! Did that just start or was it doing it as soon as you got the new tranny in??

bj

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Wow, Grabber, that pup's making some noise!! Did that just start or was it doing it as soon as you got the new tranny in??

bj
I noticed it the next day after I started it up. Then a few hours later I started it up and it did not do it. The next week end I started it and it made the noise. I thought it might go away...but it has not. It has to sit for 5 or 6 hours and then it does it every time.

If I touch the clutch pedal 1/8th of an inch while it's making the noise, it will stop. As soon as I let off the clutch, it's back.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I noticed it the next day after I started it up. Then a few hours later I started it up and it did not do it. The next week end I started it and it made the noise. I thought it might go away...but it has not. It has to sit for 5 or 6 hours and then it does it every time.

If I touch the clutch pedal 1/8th of an inch while it's making the noise, it will stop. As soon as I let off the clutch, it's back.
I wonder if it caused by an improper fit (adjustment)between the clutch and the bearing. I'm not farmilar with how it is supposed to be but it seems strange how it goes away with the slightest touch of the clutch pedal. Almost like it is sitting away from the clutch plate just enough to rattle and partially spin until it gets heated up enough to make the proper contact.

Just thinking out loud that's all. LOL

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wonder if it caused by an improper fit (adjustment)between the clutch and the bearing. I'm not farmilar with how it is supposed to be but it seems strange how it goes away with the slightest touch of the clutch pedal. Almost like it is sitting away from the clutch plate just enough to rattle and partially spin until it gets heated up enough to make the proper contact.

I don't know George, but I just hope that the new part goes in smoothly and the problem goes away. I just want to start having fun with my car. These warranty issues are getting old.

I talked to my *friend* about installing the CSC bearing and he said it is very easy. The thing just bolts on. There is nothing special about it. Then the tranny goes back in.

When the motor is running and the car is in nuetral, the bearing is just suppose to spin on the shaft. For some reason mine is hanging up.:(

·
Premium Member
672 Posts

bj
:eek: I thought that was you!:rolleyes: :D

I'm just waiting for this tranny issue to rear it's ugly head. Kind of wish it would so that I can get it taken care of and be done with it. With my luck it will go belley up the week after the warranty expires. Ford should step up to the plate and issue a recall.:mad:

I can't believe that this wasn't discovered with the test mules.:mad:

Cal

·
Registered
2008 Red Super Snake, 2019 Mustang GT
315 Posts
Dang that sounds really bad.

Nice work on the video so now people know exactly what your talking about.

·
Premium Member
7,302 Posts
:eek: I thought that was you!:rolleyes: :D

I'm just waiting for this tranny issue to rear it's ugly head. Kind of wish it would so that I can get it taken care of and be done with it. With my luck it will go belley up the week after the warranty expires. Ford should step up to the plate and issue a recall.:mad:

I can't believe that this wasn't discovered with the test mules.:mad:

Cal
I have absolutely NO problems and I'm just north of 16k on the clock since 8/5/06. I don't beat it but it's certainly not babied. Just driven and not sitting around.

bj

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just added another Video/Sound clip to Post #1 after my car sat 24 hours. This time right after the start up, I pressed on the clutch pedal 1/8 of an inch several times. You will hear the sound goes away when I press on the clutch, and then comes right back when I let off on it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks Grabber for the info. Ford definitely needs to do a recall on these tranny/clutch problems at least for inspection and replacement if needed. There are going to be a lot of unhappy folks if these problems crop up just after warranty expires.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

George, I don't think there's any adjustment to it. I'd say it goes away because it's being loaded.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
George, I don't think there's any adjustment to it. I'd say it goes away because it's being loaded.

That's what I thought. Sorta like old throw out bearings.

Mine use to have a throw out bearing type sound and if I loaded it it would go away, but come right back. I had Tucker listen to it before and he agreed it sounded like that. So far this tranny doesn't have the noise.

It was nothing like Grabbers though, it was very faint and hard to hear.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts