Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 140 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
42,719 Posts
I agree with that, but I'll add that this is my seventh Mustang/first Shelby and it is vastly better than any of the others, including a 2004 Terminator. This things scares the shit out of me, which is just the way I like it!
There are a few things I like better on the Terminator over the follow-on GT500:

1. IRS! This is HUGE! Solid rear axle Mustangs handle like my F150.

2. Fully forged rotating assembly in the engine. Ford went all-out in building the 03/04 engine.

3. Mystichrome! It was and still is magical.

4. Terminators were only a 2 year run. The cars before and after were quite different, whereas the S197 GT500 was an evolving 8 year run of basically the same formula.

5. Adjustable seats! The seats are like a hybrid between base and Recaro seats allowing you to have them loose or tight for securing your ass.

6. Size! I like the smaller Fox platform. Follow on Mustangs got bigger/heavier.

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible
65 Posts
There are a few things I like better on the Terminator over the follow-on GT500:

2. Fully forged rotating assembly in the engine. Ford went all-out in building the 03/04 engine.

4. Terminators were only a 2 year run. The cars before and after were quite different, whereas the S197 GT500 was an evolving 8 year run of basically the same formula.

5. Adjustable seats! The seats are like a hybrid between base and Recaro seats allowing you to have them loose or tight for securing your ass.

6. Size! I like the smaller Fox platform. Follow on Mustangs got bigger/heavier.
I agree with all but #6; I prefer the larger car. I also feel the overall build quality of the '13 GT500 is much better than the '03/'04 Terminators (dashboard and other interior parts other than seats). The Terminators did have great seats and the IRS was nice. I don't notice the solid axle all that much in my GT500. It handles really well for a solid axle car.

·
Registered
2022 GT500 build day 8/12
121 Posts
Having owned a 14 GT500 I felt the rearend was the silliest part of the car myself. The motor clearly overpowered the stock rear which made for quite a pucker factor. Cornering was a joke. But hey I just got out of a GT350R tho. When I reflect back on my 14 GT500, in stock form, I put it in the clown car club.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Having owned a 14 GT500 I felt the rearend was the silliest part of the car myself. The motor clearly overpowered the stock rear which made for quite a pucker factor. Cornering was a joke. But hey I just got out of a GT350R tho. When I reflect back on my 14 GT500, in stock form, I put it in the clown car club.
Hey, as long as you're not being offensive, right?

• Haha
Reactions: AZ21GT500 and JR369

·
Premium Member
2009 SHELBY GT500KR
233 Posts

#2 is a cool story how they backed into the Manley rods which helped create such a strong powerhouse with an unusual reputation. The book, "Powered by SVT," is a great read for any 94-04 COBRA owner.

BTW - that whole list is spot on, good summary.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Did you miss the part where I said I owned a 14 GT500? I think that validates my opinion. Sorry about your feelings tho...

View attachment 242943
No, I didn't miss that. I also didn't miss that you called my car a "Clown Car." How could I be offended?

·
Registered
65 Posts

·
Registered
2021 GT 500
768 Posts
If it’s a Shelby it’s for me! I only want the price to come down for selfish reasons 😂😂 I promised my son if he carried A’s and B’s for the next 2 years I’d buy him an 07-14 GT500 😂 they can go right back up after I find a low mileage S197 GT500 for 30k 😂😂😂😂 as for the supercharged GT’s. I’ve built one it’s not cheap and after everything was done didn’t hold much additional value. I had to sell private party so I didn’t lose my underoos with my pants and socks. It was a horrible waste of money but fun car until I bought my 16 GT350 which I traded in (+$2,000 in value) for my 21 GT500. I was born into a Shelby family and I intend to die a Shelby owner.
I seriously thought about sinking money into my old 18 GT to bring it up to GT500 performance levels, but to do it right I would have been very close to what my GT500 cost with the value of the car plus mods. Plus Carmax gave me stupid money for my GT. When I would have been done modding, I just would have had a modded GT worth no more than a stock one and a much less reliable car than my GT500. Never mind the cool factor of the Shelby. :)

Reactions: AZ21GT500

·
Registered
2014 GT500
584 Posts

I respectfully disagree with number 4 on your list. The 2013-2014 are completely different cars compared to previous S197’s.

The Terminators were the last two years of the "New Edge" design and was the top of heap of the 4th generation Mustang. The only significant difference between the 1999 (we all know what happened in 2000) -2001 and the 2003-2004 is the addition of the supercharger and 70 more horsepower. They all even had the same 4.6L engine and IRS.

For the S197’s they made the usual improvements along the way but when it came to 2013-2014, the car almost completely changed…aside from the same body style. They went to the 5.8 engine which none of the other S197‘s have. The supercharger is bigger…adding 112 HP to the previous model. The carbon fiber driveshaft. The huge cooling improvements…..all different than previous S197’s. It was the top Shelby until the 2020 appeared.

Besides similar looks, the 2013-2014 Shelby GT500 are nothing like any of the previous versions.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
42,719 Posts
I respectfully disagree with number 4 on your list. The 2013-2014 are completely different cars compared to previous S197’s.

The Terminators were the last two years of the "New Edge" design and was the top of heap of the 4th generation Mustang. The only significant difference between the 1999 (we all know what happened in 2000) -2001 and the 2003-2004 is the addition of the supercharger and 70 more horsepower. They all even had the same 4.6L engine and IRS.

For the S197’s they made the usual improvements along the way but when it came to 2013-2014, the car almost completely changed…aside from the same body style. They went to the 5.8 engine which none of the other S197‘s have. The supercharger is bigger…adding 112 HP to the previous model. The carbon fiber driveshaft. The huge cooling improvements…..all different than previous S197’s. It was the top Shelby until the 2020 appeared.

Besides similar looks, the 2013-2014 Shelby GT500 are nothing like any of the previous versions.
I respectfully disagree with your disagree. The Terminators were total shock and awe when they hit the market. It was the first modern boosted muscle car that paved the way for the horsepower wars that are still raging across manufacturers today. It all started in 2003. This was a radical departure from Ford’s previous Mustangs to date. The Terminators had differences throughout as well as different options packages not previously seen.

The 2013 GT500 is a great car… don’t get me wrong. It was, however, a further tweak on the evolving S197 GT500. The engine was punched out for a larger displacement. The roots style supercharger found on the previous year was swapped for a TVS supercharger. A one piece driveshaft replaced the previous two piece. The suspension got some upgrades for adjustability, but remained the same basic design. Also, more cooling was added to help cool the added power. These were all nice additions, but nothing too radical from what lead up to it. Now if Ford put an IRS rear end under the 13/14, that would have been wild!

Another way to look at it is modifying the cars before/after for similar performance… for the Terminator, the cars before were not supercharged. Nor did they have the robust internal engine components. Modifying a 99/01 Cobra for similar performance was not cheap nor easy. This is why you didn’t see many 99/01 owners go this route. On the other hand, the 07-12 GT500s can easily (and relatively cheaply) be modded to have similar or even better performance of a stock 2013. The 07-12 GT500s are the same basic formula of the 13-14 cars and the 11-12 cars have the most similarities to the the last two years.

Both the 03-04 as well as the 13-14 share the same change of platforms following their reign. Both in 2005 as well as 2015, Ford changed to a new Mustang platform.

Finally, it comes down to supply vs. demand. There is no doubt the 03-04 as well as the 13-14 sit atop of their respective pyramids. A prospective buyer might not be able to reel one of them in. In the case of the 03-04, the model years leading up to them are quite different. You either get a Terminator or you don’t. For the 13-14 GT500, a prospective buyer might land one of the years leading up to the last two to save a little money while still scratching that itch.

If there was no 07-12 GT500. The 13-14 would be just like the 03-04 as far as history goes. All great cars however. It’s an awesome time to be an enthusiast!

·
Registered
2021 gt 500
130 Posts

I had an 03, changed pulley, tuned it, loved it

·
Registered
2013 GT500 SVTPP 2003 Oxford white cobra coupe, 2003 cobra coupe black, 1988 Foxbody Notch 5.0
181 Posts
I agree with that, but I'll add that this is my seventh Mustang/first Shelby and it is vastly better than any of the others, including a 2004 Terminator. This thing scares the shit out of me, which is just the way I like it!
I can agree to that. I’ve had to many mustangs. Still for about 5 now. My Shelby is up there for more of the sentimental reasons. I think not many people enjoy the 03/04 cobras because it’s basically a v6 interior, things creak, etc. however I’ve got to admit. The raw feeling of ripping it in my 04 Redfire with a whipple on it and it made about 720hp scared the hell out of me. There was no nanny controls, no pulling timing, nothing. Just you and the seat of your pants.

·
Registered
"Sally" 2014 GT500
72 Posts
I put 500 miles on "Sally" before I put my foot into her....a very tight 360 degree Interstate on ramp. 2nd gear for the entire circle and when I looked at speedo while merging onto the freeway I was doing 118 MPH! Since then the smiles never stopped. She took that tight circle flat as a pancake. I've done just a few things to the suspension and the engine is dead stock. In a straight line drag, I haven't lost to a Hellcat yet. I love the stock exhaust note just the way it is and I get Thumbs Up all the time. The older folks go out of their way to say "Nice car." I can get blue tire smoke in three gears. I learned to drive on a manual transmission, my first car was a brand new '66 GT four speed when I got my first engineering job at Ford (EEE Building, Dearborn, MI). My love for three pedals will likely never die (I'm 75 years old). Sally is a daily driver in the summer, just as 'ol Shel wanted ("My cars are not meant to be Garage Queens") and feel real bad come the first week of each November when she has to go into hibernation 'til late March. I've always wanted a Shelby and would have had a '66 GT350 (employee price was $ 2900!) but Dad talked me out of it....said the insurance would be too much so I ended up with the GT). It looked the 2014 might be the last for Shelbys and I was trying to put enough money aside to buy the last one in Michigan when Mom died. Her inheritance paid for half of Sally. Mom's ashes now go for ride occasionally in Sally, strapped into the back seat with me smiling, knowing Mom is having a blast in the seat behind me. I didn't take her the first time Marlyss and I did Tail of the Dragon (US-129: 318 switchbacks in 11 miles), but she's going the next time. Contrary to what dickhead JG369 thinks, there's nothing wrong with the way my '14 GT500 handles, accelerates or brakes. It's too bad JG369 couldn't figure out how to make that happen. It cost me under $1K and she rides like she was on rails.

I often get asked if I'll trade the '14 in on a 2022. What? Never! I'm keeping Sally forever. But then again, I think Sally needs a brother. It's just too bad that Ford had to eliminate the third pedal in the S550 GT500 in a cost-saving maneuver.

BTW, I paid "just" MSRP in July of 2014 when the week before there was a hand written note next to the window sticker that said "plus $10,000 Market Value" had disappeared.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
42,719 Posts
Let’s not resort to name calling guys. We all have badass cars.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Let’s not resort to name calling guys. We all have badass cars.
The "Clown Car" appellation was just as bad as the name-calling, IMO. That comment deserved moderator intervention, as well.

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
1,608 Posts
Love mine and so does my son. I plan to keep it and it will be his when I’m worm food. Along with whatever else is in the garage. I honestly don’t believe the 2022 is the last GT500 we’ll see.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 DIB/Satin Black TP/PP
1,386 Posts
Isn‘t that the best? I have an entrance ramp near my house where I’ll rip down that sucker, windows open, stereo off and the concrete walls on both sides with the glorious sound of that exhaust bouncing back into my ears and before I get on the freeway I can be touching on DOUBLE the speed limit (of 70 MPH) if I’m not careful.

I do it at least once every season.
It's not an "on ramp," it's MY LAUNCH RAMP!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
42,719 Posts
The "Clown Car" appellation was just as bad as the name-calling, IMO. That comment deserved moderator intervention, as well.
For the record, he was talking about his old car. He did not say: “Your car is a clown car.” It was not an attack on you. You took offense though. Calling someone a “dickhead” is something else entirely.

81 - 100 of 140 Posts