Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
2013 GT500 SVTPP 2003 Oxford white cobra coupe, 2003 cobra coupe black, 1988 Foxbody Notch 5.0
181 Posts
For most people (myself included), it’s not about which car is faster, it’s about having the Shelby. Your argument about slapping a blower on this, or slapping a blower on that is soooooooo played.

I would like to compare your Coyote Mustang GT with a blower on it with a comparable GT500 in 5 or 10 more years to see which one was a "better bang for your buck". Something tells me that I would win THAT race.
I’ve got to admit, I haven’t really been on this forum as much as I used to for a few reasons. As you stated above it’s about owning a Shelby. It’s not about what’s faster always. Being an enthusiast about these cars is what makes them important. Yes, prices seem to be higher lately. It tends to happen when cars aren’t made anymore. The 13/14 were the last of the manual Shelby’s. I even get into similar discussions about the 03/04 cobras. I get told they’re not worth the money they bring anymore because you can get a A10 speed GT for the same price and it’s faster. I won’t debate that, this is very true. I don’t even debate that the new GT500’s are fast, and awesome to drive. I’ve now driven 3, every car has their own perks. Technology has advanced significantly each year mustang that comes out. I don’t think it’s fair to compare a 13/14 to a 21/22 GT500. Two different animals if I’m honest. I’ve got an 88 foxbody coupe that’s slaps my hellcat, and my GT500, and even my 03 cobras. Best bang for my buck would be that car yes. I smile everytime I see a 13/14 GT500. I don’t smile when I see an A10 GT.

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 HP Carbonized Metallic Gray
1,768 Posts
Would like to see the dyno sheet on that...................( it's a documentation thing )
The SS 1000's built for customers were 1000 ( crank ).
HP #'s that appear in print, ads, etc. are always ( crank ) unless otherwise noted.
Keep in mind this is the first Shelby 1000 car that was built literally the prototype. They obviously did some extra tuning. Feel free to call Shelby and ask them for the dyno sheet.

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible
65 Posts
I understand your passion and respect that! I’ll say this though as a counterpoint… Henry Ford is long since dead yet the cars we all drive are Fords. Carroll Shelby is also dead yet the cars that carry his name are all Shelbys.

I never bought off on the “real Shelby” argument. You see this argument for the ‘68+ Shelby that was built by Ford vs. Shelby American. Then there are those that say that Carroll helped design the Shelbys up though 2013. The 07-14 GT500 were all Ford. The SVT engineers put a lot of time and effort into making those cars come to market. Carroll’s role is often romanticized, but it was honorary when it comes to the S197 GT500.

The 60s/70s, 2007-14 and 2020+ GT500s are all Shelbys… it says so right on the window sticker.
With all do respect, I think you're wrong about Caroll's involvement in the development of the the 2013/14. I remember seeing an interview where he talked about the car in detail and he seemed particularly proud of the result. Also, I have had six Mustang convertibles including my '13 GT500, which is far and away the best of those six (including an '04 Terminator). My '13 is one of 808 convertibles produced that year, and it one of 8 Sterling Gray Stripe Deletes (the mix of options makes it even rarer). This is still the most powerful American convertible ever built. And I love manual transmissions. I wouldn't by the new GT500 because you can't get a convertible or a manual. Beautiful cars, just not for me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
:iagree:

Carroll's passing means he had nothing to do with Shelby vehicle development after 2012. He may have been (more) pleased with subsequent models, but we'll never know.

Not really. Ford Performance (formerly SVT) and Carroll Shelby, himself, are on record to the contrary. Carroll's own words at the 2007 GT500 unveiling are are clear:
  • "I'm proud to be part of SVT and this [2007 Shelby GT500] answers all of my dreams."
  • "We've been working together for four or five years now - just on a very quiet basis. We're just getting around to announce it. We didn't want to say a lot about it until we had a product to announce. We got a good one here."

Carroll didn't, technically, work "at" Ford to develop '07-'14 GT500s or "build" the cars. Ford Performance clearly stated, however, they were "fortunate to have Carroll Shelby be hands on and immersed in the development of the new 2013 Shelby GT500 Mustang as he was with every Shelby Mustang that came before." Other notable quotes include:
  • "Carroll Shelby himself... has been with us thru the whole process of the [2013 Shelby GT500] development."
  • "[Carroll] will be the first to admit he's not an engineer - he goes by the feel."
  • "[Carroll] tells us when we got it right and, in the most brutal way, he'll tell us if we have it wrong."
  • "We'll take it back and continue to work on it until [Carroll] says 'Yeah, this is the car we're going for.'"
  • "I'm really proud to have my name on [the 2013 Shelby GT500] that you guys have put together, working with my dream of what I think a car should be. And, you've made it that and more." -Carroll Shelby

Opinions from those who weren't there do nothing to diminsh the veracity of Ford's statements or Carroll's own words.
Excellent post - setting the record straight! Surprised to see so many haters in our own ranks.

·
Registered
2014 GT500
584 Posts
Excellent post - setting the record straight! Surprised to see so many haters in our own ranks.
I know……why can’t we, as a group, be happy for other Shelby enthusiasts when the value of their particular model year increases? Isn’t that good news for all of us?

The 1965 Shelby GT350 would be embarrassed by an Ecoboost Mustang of today yet they sell for hundreds of thousands of dollar, why is that? Because enthusiasts appreciate the Shelby and don’t give a rat’s ass about the Ecoboost Mustang and never will.

The Shelby will ALWAYS be the more expensive Mustang but not necessarily the highest performance Mustang. It’s called progress, ever heard of it?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
42,719 Posts
With all do respect, I think you're wrong about Caroll's involvement in the development of the the 20132/14. I remember seeing an interview where he talked about the car in detail and he seemed particularly proud of the result. Also, I have had six Mustang convertibles including my '13 GT500, which is far and away the best of those six (including an '04 Terminator). My '13 is one of 808 convertibles produced that year, and it one of 8 Sterling Gray Stripe Deletes (the mix of options makes it even rarer). This is still the most powerful American convertible ever built. And I love manual transmissions. I wouldn't by the new GT500 because you can't get a convertible or a manual. Beautiful cars, just not for me.
There is nothing but love for all the 07-14 and 2020-2022 GT500s. They are all simply awesome… a cut above the regular Mustangs of their era.

As for Mr. Shelbys involvement… the 13/14 owners seem to get a bit fired up in this area. Some will lead you to believe Carroll designed the car himself. The 13/14 GT500, like the 07-12 before, was all Ford’s Special Vehicle Department. Their engineers worked hard on these cars and their efforts showed. This was the same group that brought the venerable 03/04 Cobra to market. You can see lots of DNA from the 03/04 carried into the 07-14.

Yes, there are marketing videos that glorify Carroll’s involvement. It was pure genius on Ford’s part to romanticize this connection, but it is after all marketing. Ford built the car and Carroll gave it his stamp of approval. At 0:55 you can see him walking around the car checking it out. It looks like he is seeing it for the first time and at 1:40, you can hear him say: “You guys have done a tremendous job.”

If the “hater” comment was directed at me, it couldn’t be farther from the truth. I am a fanboy of these cars.

·
Registered
65 Posts
There is nothing but love for all the 07-14 and 2020-2022 GT500s. They are all simply awesome… a cut above the regular Mustangs of their era.

As for Mr. Shelbys involvement… the 13/14 owners seem to get a bit fired up in this area. Some will lead you to believe Carroll designed the car himself. The 13/14 GT500, like the 07-12 before, was all Ford’s Special Vehicle Department. Their engineers worked hard on these cars and their efforts showed. This was the same group that brought the venerable 03/04 Cobra to market. You can see lots of DNA from the 03/04 carried into the 07-14.

Yes, there are marketing videos that glorify Carroll’s involvement. It was pure genius on Ford’s part to romanticize this connection, but it is after all marketing. Ford built the car and Carroll gave it his stamp of approval. At 0:55 you can see him walking around the car checking it out. It looks like he is seeing it for the first time and at 1:40, you can hear him say: “You guys have done a tremendous job.”

If the “hater” comment was directed at me, it couldn’t be farther from the truth. I am a fanboy of these cars.

That comment was not directed at you. It was for those suggesting that an 18 GT with a blower would stomp the '13/'14 down the drain. 20 years from now, that modded 18 is going to be worth pocket change, and the '13/14 GT500s will likely be very expensive. Clearly the 13/14 GT500 is more a street cruiser/straight line car than the track-oriented GT350 and the new GT500. I doubt many of the 13/14 GT500 owners ever track the car, but give us a highway on ramp and watch out. Peace.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
42,719 Posts
That comment was not directed at you. It was for those suggesting that an 18 GT with a blower would stomp the '13/'14 down the drain. 20 years from now, that modded 18 is going to be worth pocket change, and the '13/14 GT500s will likely be very expensive. Clearly the 13/14 GT500 is more a street cruiser/straight line car than the track-oriented GT350 and the new GT500, I doubt many of the 13/14 GT500 owners ever track the car, but give us a highway on ramp and watch out. Peace.
I completely agree with all of this.

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 HP Carbonized Metallic Gray
1,768 Posts
If it’s a Shelby it’s for me! I only want the price to come down for selfish reasons 😂😂 I promised my son if he carried A’s and B’s for the next 2 years I’d buy him an 07-14 GT500 😂 they can go right back up after I find a low mileage S197 GT500 for 30k 😂😂😂😂 as for the supercharged GT’s. I’ve built one it’s not cheap and after everything was done didn’t hold much additional value. I had to sell private party so I didn’t lose my underoos with my pants and socks. It was a horrible waste of money but fun car until I bought my 16 GT350 which I traded in (+$2,000 in value) for my 21 GT500. I was born into a Shelby family and I intend to die a Shelby owner.

·
Registered
2014 GT500, 2013 Boss 302
28 Posts
In my recent pursuit of a 13-14 GT500 I was interested in trading/selling my supercharged Boss 302. Not surprising I wasn't going to get anywhere close to what I had put in the car so it's worth more to me to keep it. My stock Hellcat on the other hand was worth much more than what I purchased it for. The Shelby's like all cars will do better if left close to stock. I chuckled at Goose's suggestion to keep the original tires off my 14 but some future buyer will probably want them along with the crappy hood prop rod, and factory shifter.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
42,719 Posts
I chuckled at Goose's suggestion to keep the original tires off my 14 but some future buyer will probably want them along with the crappy hood prop rod, and factory shifter.
Collectors are funny like that. I have original tires for all my Cobras and Shelbys with the exception of my 95. If a proper date coded set popped up for my 95, I’d pay good money for them.

·
Premium Member
2014 GT500 Ruby Red
558 Posts
...I doubt many of the 13/14 GT500 owners ever track the car, but give us a highway on ramp and watch out. Peace.
Amen to that brother! Nothing like hitting the bottom of the ramp at over freeway speed and only in second gear!

People get wound up over the 662 HP of 13-14's. I say yeah, its sweet, but for me what is really crazy is the over 600 foot pounds of push your balls back into the rear seat torque. Each car from the 2007 has evolved to some degree, I just feel blessed to have one. I love stangs, I look back at my 92' LX 5.0 and it was stupid fast with just a TB and Ford Performance Cobra injectors, computer, and Flowmaster axelback, like everyone else, wish I still had it and every other one since. I would probably look at getting the latest gen except for me, the 14' is more than enough and you know what Clint said...

·
Registered
2010 SHELBY GT500- 2006 Mustang GT triple black-5 speed
201 Posts
If it’s a Shelby it’s for me! I only want the price to come down for selfish reasons 😂😂 I promised my son if he carried A’s and B’s for the next 2 years I’d buy him an 07-14 GT500 😂 they can go right back up after I find a low mileage S197 GT500 for 30k 😂😂😂😂 as for the supercharged GT’s. I’ve built one it’s not cheap and after everything was done didn’t hold much additional value. I had to sell private party so I didn’t lose my underoos with my pants and socks. It was a horrible waste of money but fun car until I bought my 16 GT350 which I traded in (+$2,000 in value) for my 21 GT500. I was born into a Shelby family and I intend to die a Shelby owner.
Maybe you could adopt me, I had pretty much straight A’s with an occasional B and would like an allocation 🤣

·
Registered
2014 GT500
584 Posts
Amen to that brother! Nothing like hitting the bottom of the ramp at over freeway speed and only in second gear!

People get wound up over the 662 HP of 13-14's. I say yeah, its sweet, but for me what is really crazy is the over 600 foot pounds of push your balls back into the rear seat torque. Each car from the 2007 has evolved to some degree, I just feel blessed to have one. I love stangs, I look back at my 92' LX 5.0 and it was stupid fast with just a TB and Ford Performance Cobra injectors, computer, and Flowmaster axelback, like everyone else, wish I still had it and every other one since. I would probably look at getting the latest gen except for me, the 14' is more than enough and you know what Clint said...
Isn‘t that the best? I have an entrance ramp near my house where I’ll rip down that sucker, windows open, stereo off and the concrete walls on both sides with the glorious sound of that exhaust bouncing back into my ears and before I get on the freeway I can be touching on DOUBLE the speed limit (of 70 MPH) if I’m not careful.

I do it at least once every season.

·
Premium Member
2009 SHELBY GT500KR
233 Posts
This right here. Whipple an 18+ GT and it walks all over everything. Its no secret.
I'll take my slow KR every day and twice on Sunday before a modified GT. If I want a 1,000' car I'd buy or build one, but I'm not a street racer. My car parked will turn heads (and any GT500 of any year for that matter), but a GT is just another Mustang. Still awesome I'm a Mustang fan and driven one for 20 years, but a GT500 overall is in another class regardless of horsepower.

My last 2 cars were a COBRA and this GT500KR. Maybe not the fastest on the block, but part of the coolest.

This is all subjective there is no 'right' answer. To each his own, and own or do which you please.

·
Registered
2008 GT500
82 Posts
To Brett and BD Henry I think you’ve nailed it for the mindset of the Shelby owners I’ve had the GT‘s and the other models nobody pays attention to them like they do to the Shelby‘s I mean it’s like you’re a rockstar when you drive drive in with one; just saying
My man, you are 100% right about the attention and it being like you're a rockstar. I just left the dealer and they treated me like royalty, everyone in the service dept stopped and said something to me about the car, when the service manager cranked the Shelby to take it into the service bay, everyone looked, and everyone began commenting on the exhaust LOL.

I felt like a damn celebrity in there this morning. Then the service manager let me walk all through the service bay to show me my car on the lift lol. Another guy came in with a regular S550 V6 stang and his didn't get anywhere the attention my old shelby got lol. I usually don't give 2 craps if anyone pays my vehicle any attention and I think that's why I would've been fine in a S550 GT, I like to blend in and be lowkey majority of the time. But man, once you sip that Shelby kool-aid it all makes sense why we are so proud to own one.

·
Premium Member
2014 GT500 Ruby Red
558 Posts
My man, you are 100% right about the attention and it being like you're a rockstar. I just left the dealer and they treated me like royalty, everyone in the service dept stopped and said something to me about the car, when the service manager cranked the Shelby to take it into the service bay, everyone looked, and everyone began commenting on the exhaust LOL.

I felt like a damn celebrity in there this morning. Then the service manager let me walk all through the service bay to show me my car on the lift lol. Another guy came in with a regular S550 V6 stang and his didn't get anywhere the attention my old shelby got lol. I usually don't give 2 craps if anyone pays my vehicle any attention and I think that's why I would've been fine in a S550 GT, I like to blend in and be lowkey majority of the time. But man, once you sip that Shelby kool-aid it all makes sense why we are so proud to own one.
I think its all about the Heritage of Shelby, the cars command a different kind of respect when you roll into a cars&coffee PK lot.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think its all about the Heritage of Shelby, the cars command a different kind of respect when you roll into a cars&coffee PK lot.
I agree with that, but I'll add that this is my seventh Mustang/first Shelby and it is vastly better than any of the others, including a 2004 Terminator. This thing scares the shit out of me, which is just the way I like it!

61 - 80 of 140 Posts