Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Well the first "bolt-on" mod went onto the car since I've had it. Sullivan Racing Products pedals went in along with gas pedal spacers made out of old fuel rail spacers from my ancient autox Eagle Talon from a decade ago. Paired with the single stage Steeda clutch spring I finally feel like the pedal box is where I want it.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Car rolled right up to 3,000 miles on it so naturally she went up in the air and we started throwing some mods at her. More pics to come but we also unfortunately ran into our first issues too.

Pulled the wheels off and noticed the rear driver's side wheel had what looked like grease inside of it. A further inspection showed grease slung all over the rear suspension and brake lines. Looks like there's a split in the outer CV boot. Some forum investigation shows that this isn't an isolated issue and that other have had to have their axles replaced, including one poor soul who received a replacement unit that already was torn before it even made it onto the car. Seems as though there's a manufacturing issue here. Taking the car into the dealer after the first of the year to have this looked at and repaired.

Next it was time to remove the front bumper and the undertray. While doing so I noticed an oily stain under the oil filter access hatch. After pulling the entire undertray off and finding the oil filter cartridge housing to be bone dry it appears as though the car has a leaky oil pressure sending unit. Again this is a semi-common issue due to the vibrations inherent with the Voodoo engine and a little permatex high temp thread sealant will fix the issue here.

Now onto why the car was being worked on in the first place.

Diode Dynamics interior LED light upgrade - much cleaner and brighter than the factory yellow incandescent bulbs. The center housing was a complete pain in the ass to remove as the clips just didn't want to unclip. I was certain I was going to break something and in the end the one clip stayed clipped in but pulled free from the friction fitment it had with the housing itself. Had to pop it out and then re-attach it but all is good now.

I also picked up an order of custom color matched G2 caliper paint. This isn't just paint, but rather a two part epoxy. I started with brushing it on to get a decent base coat and to get into all the crevices. Then slowly worked my way up to about the 5th coat by brush before switching over to a Preval paint spraying system that lets you aerosol spray any custom paint you'd like. The epoxy is weird in that it seems really runny, but over the layers it builds up and actually self levels pretty decently. I'm sure I could have done this better by tearing the calipers completely apart and having them powder coated, but this was a much easier process with acceptable results. Paint is still curing and then the new black brembo logos will be going on.

I also grabbed a set of ZL1 Addons front rock guards as these perfectly pair with the rear rock guards to help keep the sides of the car free from unexpected damage. You can just make them out in the first photo

The reason the front bumper was coming off the car was to remove the headlights entirely. I'm shipping them up to South Carolina to a good friend of mine who builds custom headlights for show cars. I'm not getting anything too crazy, but he's hooking me up with orange trim inside the housing, some blacked out features like the projector surround and corner marker lights, and etching the reflector with the GT350 specific snake emblem. In the end mine will look just like the red car's but in true tri-coat Orange Fury.

·
Premium Member
2007 GT500 Torch Red/White custom
991 Posts
Nice something new to get excited about and mod. I am sure you will get all the bugs worked out.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,032 Posts
Good stuff, Kyle! That snake emblem in/on/over the projector is absolutely SICK, man!!! :rocker:

Glad you are making it your own. And glad you are sorting out some things -- peace of mind stuff. :bigthumb:

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
29,703 Posts
Awesome stuff @mavisky!

I’d be tempted to put a vertical black “GT350” or “SHELBY” caliber decal on that fresh orange paint. I got “Brembo” decals off eBay when I painted my calipers. I put them on after the base coat and then cleared over the top of them. That was about 6 years ago and they still look perfect.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Car rolled right up to 3,000 miles on it so naturally she went up in the air and we started throwing some mods at her. More pics to come but we also unfortunately ran into our first issues too.

Pulled the wheels off and noticed the rear driver's side wheel had what looked like grease inside of it. A further inspection showed grease slung all over the rear suspension and brake lines. Looks like there's a split in the outer CV boot. Some forum investigation shows that this isn't an isolated issue and that other have had to have their axles replaced, including one poor soul who received a replacement unit that already was torn before it even made it onto the car. Seems as though there's a manufacturing issue here. Taking the car into the dealer after the first of the year to have this looked at and repaired.

Next it was time to remove the front bumper and the undertray. While doing so I noticed an oily stain under the oil filter access hatch. After pulling the entire undertray off and finding the oil filter cartridge housing to be bone dry it appears as though the car has a leaky oil pressure sending unit. Again this is a semi-common issue due to the vibrations inherent with the Voodoo engine and a little permatex high temp thread sealant will fix the issue here.

Now onto why the car was being worked on in the first place.

Diode Dynamics interior LED light upgrade - much cleaner and brighter than the factory yellow incandescent bulbs. The center housing was a complete pain in the ass to remove as the clips just didn't want to unclip. I was certain I was going to break something and in the end the one clip stayed clipped in but pulled free from the friction fitment it had with the housing itself. Had to pop it out and then re-attach it but all is good now.

I also picked up an order of custom color matched G2 caliper paint. This isn't just paint, but rather a two part epoxy. I started with brushing it on to get a decent base coat and to get into all the crevices. Then slowly worked my way up to about the 5th coat by brush before switching over to a Preval paint spraying system that lets you aerosol spray any custom paint you'd like. The epoxy is weird in that it seems really runny, but over the layers it builds up and actually self levels pretty decently. I'm sure I could have done this better by tearing the calipers completely apart and having them powder coated, but this was a much easier process with acceptable results. Paint is still curing and then the new black brembo logos will be going on.

I also grabbed a set of ZL1 Addons front rock guards as these perfectly pair with the rear rock guards to help keep the sides of the car free from unexpected damage. You can just make them out in the first photo

The reason the front bumper was coming off the car was to remove the headlights entirely. I'm shipping them up to South Carolina to a good friend of mine who builds custom headlights for show cars. I'm not getting anything too crazy, but he's hooking me up with orange trim inside the housing, some blacked out features like the projector surround and corner marker lights, and etching the reflector with the GT350 specific snake emblem. In the end mine will look just like the red car's but in true tri-coat Orange Fury.

The matching brembos in your cars color is off the chart gorgeous !!

Car looks great,

Any oil consumption yet ?

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Nice color combo.
Now you know what they hype was about. The car is fantastic
doesn't have the low end grunt like the 13/14 gt500, but I have no problems burning up the tires, and just love winding it out
Agreed, I often find myself cruising around 3,000 rpm in the car just to keep it closer to being "on-song" when you want to squeeze it. Still good power there, just a different driving style compared to the 500 for sure.

The matching brembos in your cars color is off the chart gorgeous !!

Car looks great,

Any oil consumption yet ?
Thanks. No consumption yet. Just added the JLT oil catch can on the passenger side yesterday so we'll see what that grabs.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Finally got the last piece of my pedal set in. When I was running the Lloyd's floor mats in my GT500 I noticed that my heels were quick to wear into the fabric and I had to quickly retire them from daily duty to keep them looking good. This time around I went with an SRP heel pad to go along with the SRP pedal set. Attaches with 4 countersunk allen bolts and some teethed nuts (reminds me of something from an Ikea kit). Works great and should have the car back on the ground and running again in 2 weeks.

I think it speaks volumes to the engineering of this car that all of my mods so far have been around making slight tweaks to the looks of the car and the driver interaction areas because the mechanicals are just so good.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
yup, that's where I run mine at all times other than coming to a stop of course. 3000+ it finds the 4500 to 5500 RPM real fast when stomping on it while at 3000-3500.

I've had the passenger oil catcher on since new and it gets about 1/2 to 1 ounce every 1000 miles. that's the only place I've noticed oil consumption. everytime I check it I notice no deviation on the stick. I've had mine since 2016, so I've changed the oil 3 times in 5000 miles.
it's a great car, it really is. when I was watching vids and performance articles, I was thinking there is no way it's that good. well, it is, and even better than I thought it would be.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Both of you have beautiful cars ......... Still think red is the fastest ( my 17 GT350) :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Made some more improvements over the week and one discovery.

On the discovery front I found out that the oil leak isn't from the oil pressure sensor, but actually from where the oil cooler lines meet the engine block. That's most likely from a bad o-ring so hopefully it's an easy fix for the dealer. I also found a few more paint blemishes that will need some touchup work over the coming weeks.

On the modification front I added the Diode Dynamics front switchback turn signals. This gets rid of the orange daytime running lights in the bumper and runs them in a white LED before switching back to an amber blinker.

The factory front brake calipers are held in with a pair of giant T60 bolts and getting them aligned, and started while also trying to get a caliper full of brake pads and shims over the rotors can be a bit of a pain. In order to keep from having any issues further I picked up a set of caliper studs from Caliperfexion. These are heavy duty studs which makes getting everything aligned and installed much easier without also running the risk of stripping out the aluminum knuckles.

On the chassis front, the car is amazing to begin with, but there's always room for improvements. To this end I wanted to add some extra rigidity to the vehicle's subframes without adding crazy amounts of NVH to the car. I love the way Steeda pushes actual cars on the track so trusted them and their products. To support the front end I went with their Ultralite 2-point G-Trak brace. In the rear I went with their S550 IRS subframe brace that ties the entire rear subframe to the side chassis rails using 5 bolts per side. To make getting the car up in the air easier in the future I also added their ultra low profile full length jacking rails. This pairs perfectly with their rear brace.

I also finally got my headlights back from my buddy Joey at PS Lighting Solutions. He blacked out the ring surrounding the projector and the turn reflector, etched the projector itself with the Shelby 350 specific snake, and then color matched eyebrows on the lights. Can't tell you how happy I am with it all. The work was top notch and the metallic matches the factory tri-coat perfectly. It looks a little darker in the photos since it's in a bit of a shadow from the fender that sits overtop of it.

Need to sell some more parts as the next mods on the list are MGW Gen 1 GT350 shifter system, Ford Racing lowering springs and swaybars, and finally a new set of wheels.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
29,703 Posts
So frigg’n awesome mavisky!

You are taking an amazing car to a whole ‘notha level! Nice mods.

·
Premium Member
2007 GT500 Torch Red/White custom
991 Posts
@mavisky that car is going to really be something when you get done with it.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 99 Posts