Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2012 gt500 Vert
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put the car away last fall, tire held air fine. Went to check air a couple of days ago, and tire was down to 20 lbs. After soaping the tire many times and rolling it looking for nail, I found two small rim bead leaks.
My question is,
20200324_135731.jpg
could I just pump 50 lbs of air to see if it seals? Don't want to blow it up. Or does the tire have to be taken off the rim and remounted?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Take it to the tire shop and they can take a grinder with a special pad and clean the bead of the wheel where it mounts to the tire . In some cases the can put a black tar like substance called bead sealer but usually only do that with wheels that are badly corroded. Have them check and make sure the bar code sticker is not on the bead of the tire as that is a common bead seal leak. Most tire and repair shops are considered essential services so the will be open and probably not busy .

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,076 Posts
Tire shop, get it done right..

·
Registered
126 Posts
i work in a body shop at a new car dealers for a long time, and have seen this a LOT on all cars with allow wheels.
you will need to have the tire removed, then they take a abrasive wheel and clean the corroded surfaces on the wheel and remount the tire.
i leave the rim on the tire machine, step on the turn pedal, then use my angle grinder with the abrasive wheel to clean the surfaces while the rim turns. one unavoidable problem with this is once you remove the coating on the rim the corrosion returns at a faster rate. on my own rims with this problem i like to mix up some white epoxy primer and paint the cleaned corroded surfaces. this will help slow down the corrosion from returning. the problem is you will need to wait a day before remounting the tire.
some shops mark the tire so they can remount it without balancing again. the remounted tire balance will be "CLOSE" but not 100% correct. on my own tires i always re-balance whenever removing a tire.

repair shops are considered essential services in my area and our shop is open for business as usual. work flow is SLOW so if you take it in you should get fast turn around.

the abrasive discs i like to use in my angle die grinder----

1 - 5 of 5 Posts