Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone used slicks on there car yet at the track? Looking into getting some for the next season and I'm not sure were to start.

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
Anyone used slicks on there car yet at the track? Looking into getting some for the next season and I'm not sure were to start.
Nitto 555R. Comes in your size.

Alternately, the BFG drag2 is stickier and won't last nearly as long, but they'll hook!

The Nitto is the better of the two if you're going to drive on them. Particularly if it ever rains.

MT has one for it now, too....but it's pricey.

bj

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Nitto 555R. Comes in your size.

Alternately, the BFG drag2 is stickier and won't last nearly as long, but they'll hook!

The Nitto is the better of the two if you're going to drive on them. Particularly if it ever rains.

MT has one for it now, too....but it's pricey.

bj

He's right.Nitto is the way to go.555r for just the rear try 305 45 18.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, not looking to get anything to drive on the streets. Just something I can swap out at the track. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great so is it confirmed that the nitto 305 will fit without rubbing? that is what I want to get but was not positive it was not gonna rub anywhere.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I thought that the Nitto 315s would fit the rear too..

You say they're better in th rain than the BFGs? I'm looking to replace the Goodyears with something I can drive with every day - rain or shine.

TD

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is it confirmed that the nitto 555r 315 will fit??? nitto only makes those for 17" wheels tho. I may get some different wheels later so that is some info I am interested in, but i doubt i will go to a 17" wheel. Note that nitto's website does not recommend anything wider than a 305/45r18 on the 9-1/2" wheel, but i think that would be a huge improvement to the stock tires.

as far as the rain issue, i have nitto 555 245's on 17" wheels on my other 500+ rwhp mustang, and it does ok in the rain, but i would not wanna drive far at highway speeds with them in a steady downpour. I have no experience w/ the BFG's, but if vnmous1 says do not use in the rain, i would take his word for it. also, do NOT use M&H racemasters in the rain, it can swap ends at 40mph at steady cruise. (been there done that, no damage luckily)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Bought a set of Nitto 285/35ZR/18 to use on a set of stock wheels. Worked well in the rain at highway speeds as that is what it did all the way to the track. Hooked real well at the strip. Went this size as was told that any thing over a 295 would rub and a 315 was too big for the rim, causing it to have to be widened. Hope this helps just my 2 cents worth Take care M'nut

·
Registered
938 Posts
Has anyone used a set of Nitto NT-01 Road Race Tires, I would like to get a set of these to use when running around the Nashville Super speedway.

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
I thought that the Nitto 315s would fit the rear too..

You say they're better in th rain than the BFGs? I'm looking to replace the Goodyears with something I can drive with every day - rain or shine.

TD
Not on your stock wheels.

As far as rain....my BFG KDWs are outstanding in rain. There are no cuts/siping in the lugs/tread of the tires, BUT the grooves are big enough to lose a cat in. The DRs are another story. Far fewer channels for the sake of traction. No channels=hydroplaning. On ANY tire.

bj

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
As far as rain....my BFG KDWs are outstanding in rain.
I agree. The KDWs are a great everyday tire. They should have come stock on the car.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Not concerned with everyday driving with these tires, they would be a second set just for the track with different wheels as well.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Not concerned with everyday driving with these tires, they would be a second set just for the track with different wheels as well.
Sorry. Should have quoted TrickyDick. He was looking for a replacement for the stock tires. My bad.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Thanks for the info

So BFG KDW = good but Drag Radials = bad
Nittos - stick with 295 or smaller 555's are good in rain

Which is the better tire at the track?

Justin at VMP posted a set of midded rims widened to (I think) 11.5 inches..

Would like to hear more from him on that...

TD

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks for the info

So BFG KDW = good but Drag Radials = bad
Nittos - stick with 295 or smaller 555's are good in rain

Which is the better tire at the track?

Justin at VMP posted a set of midded rims widened to (I think) 11.5 inches..

Would like to hear more from him on that...

TD
Well, they will never get an 11.5" wheel under the car without serious modifications. I ran 18x10's on my previous 2005 Mustang GT and a 285 width tire is all I could manage without rubbing on the inner wheelwell/shock or outer fender. Unless the Shelby has different dimensions (which I am pretty sure they do not) I doubt a 315 on any wheels is going to fit unless it sticks out of the fender area. I hope someone proves me wrong.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
So in summary then -

everday driver BFG KDW are good rain or shine. DRs track use only

Nitto 555s also good - preferred by some for rain.

size some say 295 max width, others say 305.

NO word on Justin's modified (this time I spelled it right!) rims yet...

TD

·
Registered
13 Posts
i used my nitto dr for everyday for almost 20k miles that was in las vegas where it doesnt rain much but acutally worked alot better in the rain than my stock tires. If you heat them up they hook fairly well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Personally, I love the Nitto 555r 305/45/18s for the rear. I haven't had problems with the rain, and they do hook pretty well at the track. But I usually run a set of Welds at the track with Mickey Thompson slicks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Options are getting more and more it seams. If you are not looking to run them on the stock rims then you have many options for track tires depending on the rims you go with. I currently have ET Streets on 95 Cobra R spin offs but they are only 26" tall and I need a taller tire with my power now. These are on an 8" rim and they do a nice job but I am looking at a 15" rim and then 325/50/15 for my next set. The big issue right now id if i will have to change out my springs because of a 28" tall tire since I lowered the car and i don't want to do this just to go race.....maybe for a shot at my best time but not just to have fun.

I also am trying to decide if i want a real slick so i can hook as best I am capable or the ET Street Radials so i could play in the street car classes when i get my roll bar which is what I am leaning towards right now.

I am supposed to go May 9th to the track for the first time this year but i may be running on my street tires - that would be entertaining with 750+ rwhp.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts