Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks

I installed a Pioneer AVIC-D2 Navigation unit in my GT500. In addition I upgraded the 6x8 speakers front and rear to Pioneer TS-A6871R speakers. All of these items came from Crutchfield with appropriate harnesses. The speakers were a direct fit for the GT500. It did take me a few minutes to discover all the hidden fasteners on the front door. Once I figured that out the second door panel only took about 5 minutes to disassemble.

The rear seat speakers go in very fast. All you have to do is pop up the rear speaker covers, remove four screws and replace the speakers. Crutchfield supplies a short harness to connect between the factory harness and the connectors on the speakers. Improvement was dramatic. Of course, getting into the back seat (or what I call te Scottie compartment) is a bit difficult as was bending sideways while turning out the screws. Note: I used a Torx socket without a driver, i.e., I had to use nothing more than finger pressure to remove and then replace the four screws on each speaker. The distance between the rear glass and the screws is limited. A 1/4" drive Torx bit was just short enough to clear the space and still remove the sheet metal screws.

If you saw the speakers that I removed, pure junk, you would know why I upgraded the speakers. I can not believe Ford put these cheesy plastic speakers with paper cones in a car with a supposed upgraded Shaker 1000 installation!

What an improvement in the audio. I left the sub woofers alone. The GPS navigation function works perfect. I do intend to use the backup camera function (I have the camera, just need to install it). Functions such as hand brake disconnect for the DVD viewer, back up camera, etc. all work as expected. The speed sense wire is located at the PCM module. I ran a very small black cable harness out to the PCM so that the single wire didn't look out of place in the engine bay.

The only item for which I lost functionality was the factory installed Sirius unit. According to Crutchfield, 'if' the factory Sirius has a P-BUS connection, I should be able to use it with the AVIC-D2. However, I can't find the Sirius unit in the car. The antenna cable on the trunk disappears into a wiring harness which leads into the passenger cabin. I have not yet started removing seats, etc.

Does anyone know where Ford installed the Sirius controller?

So, I have two options. If the factory unit will not couple up to the Pioneer, I can use the Pioneer Sirius unit (SIR-PNR2) that Crutchfield sells. But, I don't want to have two Sirius units, one dormant, in the car. If I remove the factory Sirius unit, I will probably put the Shaker 1000 and Sirius unit on eBAY.

As soon as I have the Sirius problem resolved, I will post photos.

Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Scottie, on the off-chance that these cars hit true collector status (appreciate well over double cost within 25 years), you'll probably want to have the original audio package around.

Also, since the crap components you pulled otu probably aren't worth much, what's some closet space going to hurt ya? : )

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scottie, on the off-chance that these cars hit true collector status (appreciate well over double cost within 25 years), you'll probably want to have the original audio package around.

Also, since the crap components you pulled otu probably aren't worth much, what's some closet space going to hurt ya? : )
Hey Jonsey, that's a a good point. I'll just seal them up and put them on the shelf. Thanks for the brain realignment.

Now, if I can just find that Sirius unit ;-)

PR: Forgot to mention. I made NO changes to the factory harness. Indeed, as Jonsey comments, I can return the car to stock audio status pretty quickly. I even saved the crappy Ford speakers.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Hi Folks

I installed a Pioneer AVIC-D2 Navigation unit in my GT500. In addition I upgraded the 6x8 speakers front and rear to Pioneer TS-A6871R speakers. All of these items came from Crutchfield with appropriate harnesses. The speakers were a direct fit for the GT500. It did take me a few minutes to discover all the hidden fasteners on the front door. Once I figured that out the second door panel only took about 5 minutes to disassemble.

The rear seat speakers go in very fast. All you have to do is pop up the rear speaker covers, remove four screws and replace the speakers. Crutchfield supplies a short harness to connect between the factory harness and the connectors on the speakers. Improvement was dramatic. Of course, getting into the back seat (or what I call te Scottie compartment) is a bit difficult as was bending sideways while turning out the screws. Note: I used a Torx socket without a driver, i.e., I had to use nothing more than finger pressure to remove and then replace the four screws on each speaker. The distance between the rear glass and the screws is limited. A 1/4" drive Torx bit was just short enough to clear the space and still remove the sheet metal screws.

If you saw the speakers that I removed, pure junk, you would know why I upgraded the speakers. I can not believe Ford put these cheesy plastic speakers with paper cones in a car with a supposed upgraded Shaker 1000 installation!

What an improvement in the audio. I left the sub woofers alone. The GPS navigation function works perfect. I do intend to use the backup camera function (I have the camera, just need to install it). Functions such as hand brake disconnect for the DVD viewer, back up camera, etc. all work as expected. The speed sense wire is located at the PCM module. I ran a very small black cable harness out to the PCM so that the single wire didn't look out of place in the engine bay.

The only item for which I lost functionality was the factory installed Sirius unit. According to Crutchfield, 'if' the factory Sirius has a P-BUS connection, I should be able to use it with the AVIC-D2. However, I can't find the Sirius unit in the car. The antenna cable on the trunk disappears into a wiring harness which leads into the passenger cabin. I have not yet started removing seats, etc.

Does anyone know where Ford installed the Sirius controller?

So, I have two options. If the factory unit will not couple up to the Pioneer, I can use the Pioneer Sirius unit (SIR-PNR2) that Crutchfield sells. But, I don't want to have two Sirius units, one dormant, in the car. If I remove the factory Sirius unit, I will probably put the Shaker 1000 and Sirius unit on eBAY.

As soon as I have the Sirius problem resolved, I will post photos.

Merry Christmas.

The controller is located in the trunk.It is in the right wheel well.You will have to remove the sub woofer also.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The controller is located in the trunk.It is in the right wheel well.You will have to remove the sub woofer also.
Many thanks. I got pretty close when I looked under the trunck mat, just not far enough to the right. I will let everyone know how my plan to get Sirius onto the aftermaket radio works out.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
That would be a bonus, but not a very good investment. If the value were to double over 25 years, that would be a measly 2.8% annual return..uggh. If you factor in inflation, you'd actually be better selling the car TODAY and buying whatever you need.

If you are buying this car as an investment, then you'd need the value to increase 10x it's original value (that's right...it would need to be worth about $500,000) to make it as attractive as investing in the stock market, which has returned approximately 10% over the long term. In addition, the car will require maintenance, which means you'd really need a return even higher than this to make it as attractive as stocks...depending on the brokerage fees you pay.

Dave

·
Registered
110 Posts
The Ford installed nav system is not avail with the Shaker 1000!

My Shelby with Nav should be built within next few weeks

It is a Pioneer but will have to look up which model it is

what price range was the unit you bought? I have not gotten a price on the factory unit yet so no idea

My replacement for replacement car (what a mess) order should be built before christmas

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Ford installed nav system is not avail with the Shaker 1000!

what price range was the unit you bought? I have not gotten a price on the factory unit yet so no idea
The Sirius remote unit I purchased, that interfaces directly to the Pioneer AVIC-D2 was about 130 bucks from Crutchfield. I determined the unit that came with the car will not interface to the Pioneer. I am going to just pull the power cable to the unit and leave it installed in the wheel well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
That would be a bonus, but not a very good investment. If the value were to double over 25 years, that would be a measly 2.8% annual return..uggh. If you factor in inflation, you'd actually be better selling the car TODAY and buying whatever you need.

If you are buying this car as an investment, then you'd need the value to increase 10x it's original value (that's right...it would need to be worth about $500,000) to make it as attractive as investing in the stock market, which has returned approximately 10% over the long term. In addition, the car will require maintenance, which means you'd really need a return even higher than this to make it as attractive as stocks...depending on the brokerage fees you pay.

Dave
Except for the fact you cant drive your stocks around town.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts