Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on an interesting project and thought I would share since it is GT500 related...

Someone that was going to paint the stripes on their car contacted me to see if I could make a set of side stripe stencils for the GT500. It took a while but I have them finished and will mail them out today. I think they turned out pretty good! I will also be modifying these to add a set of custom stripes to a friends car in our local car club.

The long stripe goes on the door. You can see dotted lines on the front fender and door stripes. This helps with positioning of the stripe and goes right along the crease on the lower part of the car.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are they exact specs to factory stripes ? or modified ?
thx
I created these by taking rubbings of the factory stripes, scanning them and redrawing them to the exact dimensions. I then cut them and put them on clear material and layed them over my factory stripes to ensure they are the correct. It was very time consuming but I am very pleased with the outcome. If I ever decide to repaint mine I will use them.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Nice work! I am pulling mine off soon but this is good to know if I ever decide to put them back.
Why Dana?

Going into Super Stealth mode?? :bandit:

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I created these by taking rubbings of the factory stripes, scanning them and redrawing them to the exact dimensions. I then cut them and put them on clear material and layed them over my factory stripes to ensure they are the correct. It was very time consuming but I am very pleased with the outcome. If I ever decide to repaint mine I will use them.
Great job John. Is the material the same quality ( made by the same Co ) as the OEM ones ?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great job John. Is the material the same quality ( made by the same Co ) as the OEM ones ?

This material is Oracal 5 year vinyl. Not worried about longevity for this project as they will only be used to paint the stripes and will be removed leaving the painted stripes but now that I have this stencil made I can easily make side stripes as well. I can source 8 year auto graphics vinyl or any other vinyl to use for custom applications.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
This material is Oracal 5 year vinyl. Not worried about longevity for this project as they will only be used to paint the stripes and will be removed leaving the painted stripes but now that I have this stencil made I can easily make side stripes as well. I can source 8 year auto graphics vinyl or any other vinyl to use for custom applications.
Thanks for the explaination great idea.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
John thats slick man.Nice job.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a fellow club member come over yesterday to test out the stripes on his car. He has a V6 Legend Lime Mustang convertible that was originally a Hertz rental car. The car is supposed to be one of 19 with the combination it has. He plans on making it look more aggressive so when he found out I was doing the stripes he was happy to lend his car as a test bed. Given that his car came from Hertz he wanted to pay homage to the Shelby rent a racer past by having something similar to the GT350H on the side stripes. Since his car is a V6 and the engine displacement was close to 250 cubic inches (actually 245) he decided to go with GT250H on his stripes. These stripes are the exact same dimensions as the GT500 stripes and were created using the stencils in the first post in this thread.

The first thing we did was remove the V6 stripes and clean the area thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol.

Then we wetted the area down with a solution that is used to do window tinting. We then removed the backing material off the stripes I cut for him and lined up the stripes with the crease in the body panels using the hashed lines in the template. After getting them in place we squeegeed out as much water as we could and let them sit for about 15 minutes. Finally we came back and easily peeled the backing off the stripes being careful not to pull the stripes off the car. Then we went over the stripes with a squeegee and cloth to remove excess water and ensure they were adhered to the car. Any excess water quickly evaporated in the sun resulting in the finished product you see here. He has more pictures of the installation process and I hope to get them so people can see what it looks like when we applied them. Anyway here is the final result.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Sweet,nice job John.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have been looking for somthing like this so I can paint this on my car trailer....Real nice John!!!!, and a cool way of showing your talent....for it's a talant for-sure!!!!! Just let me know when you have the time to carv me a set......Im in............

Dave.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I am very impressed! That looks great!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts