Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the FRPP shifter in the mail the other day, but have not installed it yet. How many of you out there have installed a new shifter yourself and how long did it take you?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I havent many any mod's yet but do enjoy looking at the pictures of those who did and reading their stories..Post some pix when youre done..
thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have heard some guys taking anywhere from 3-4 hours ... This is a job that would take you to drop the rear of the tranny... If you are going to do it at your house either have a lift (the easy way) or if you put it on ramps (the hard way) but you will have to drop the rear of the tranny. Dealer would take about 2 hours. Just my $.02

·
Registered
47 Posts
Local Ford dealer installed mine about 2 weeks ago. Sign at their service counter says their labor rate is $70 @hr. Bill was $106 which means they spent about 1 1/2 hours installing it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Got the FRPP shifter in the mail the other day, but have not installed it yet. How many of you out there have installed a new shifter yourself and how long did it take you?
You'll love it...it took my tech just under 2 hours. He had a lift and you have to drop the front of the shaft for access.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the Steeda shifter and I fabricated a Hurst chrome stick for it.
I agree with others it is about 1 ½ to 2 hours. I had access to a lift.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I don't have access to a lift so I'll take it to the dealership and have them install it. Thinking about putting on that FRPP chrome shifter and white ball some folks have been talking about as well.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I laid on my back with it up on jack stands and installed the Steeda Tri. It took me about 2 hours but was replacing driveshaft as well. You do have to drop the Tranny alittle.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
I installed mine in my garage using jack stands on 3 corners. I installed the Steeda Tri-Ax. It took about 3 hours. It made it a lot easier by disconnecting the driveshaft from the tranny and dropping the center mount. I then lowered the tranny about 1/2 inch to get my paws on the forward support link pins. 3 hours because this was my first time and I was measuring twice cutting once.
BTW the technique I used to drop the tranny was as follows: Remove a bolt from the left and right side of the cross member. I installed those 2 bolts in place only by about 3 threads, I then jacked the remaining 2 bolts down until the crossmember was tight againts all 4 bolts. It lowers it just enough to get you hand and a small screw driver in to release the clip on the pin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts