Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably been covered in other threads.

Wanted to get opinion on those with Tri-Ax and those with the FRPP shifters.

I've missed 3rd a couple of times now and have a chance to swap out a new replacement for the stocker.

Saw the poll - but there isn't a very representative response there. Had a chance to sit in a GT500 at the Oveido show and try the FRPP but my son (3 years old) was out of patience for looking at cars of any sort after the first 20 minutes of the show.... So I didn;t get to do it

Anyway, the FRPP is about $100 cheaper than the Tri-Ax. I'd think either would be a huge improvement over the stock.

Opinions?

TD

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

I've missed 3rd a couple of times now and have a chance to swap out a new replacement for the stocker.

Saw the poll - but there isn't a very representative response there. Had a chance to sit in a GT500 at the Oveido show and try the FRPP but my son (3 years old) was out of patience for looking at cars of any sort after the first 20 minutes of the show.... So I didn;t get to do it

Anyway, the FRPP is about $100 cheaper than the Tri-Ax. I'd think either would be a huge improvement over the stock.

Opinions?

TD
I don't have either. I have sat in a car with the tri-ax and felt it...it's very tight and feels like metal on metal when you shift. I like this feel, but some say it's too harsh. Talk to Grabber about the FRPP, he has one.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts

Opinions?

TD

I have used both.You can't go wrong with either one.I have the Tri-ax in my Shelby and have driven a GT 500 KR with the FRPP.They are both tight and short.I don't know that the Tri-Ax is worth the extra money but I wouldn't hesitate putting the FRPP in my Shelby.:bandit:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I have and love the FRPP shifter, and it is at a great price to boot.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
:iamwithstupid:

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Now that is funny.

I could be that guy sometimes.

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've had the FRPP "KR" shifter for a few weeks and absolutely love it. It should have been standard OEM.

I'm about to put mine in for the input shaft to see if it's one of the early ones.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I'm about to put mine in for the input shaft to see if it's one of the early ones.[/QUOTE]

What does this mean?I don't follow:bandit:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The FRPP shifter is very tight. No notchyness or metal feel. The bushing have no play and feel firm and hard. The throw is short and easy to hit the gears. You can't go wrong with it.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks!

Going with the FRPP shifter then.

Say, how difficult you think this'll be to install? Any significant differences between the install on this and an install on a 05-08 Mustang GT?

TD

·
Registered
765 Posts
Thanks!

Going with the FRPP shifter then.

Say, how difficult you think this'll be to install? Any significant differences between the install on this and an install on a 05-08 Mustang GT?

TD
IMO it's not an easy install for the weekend mechanic. Perhaps not bad if you had access to a lift.

The installation instructions are available to download from FRPP - here's the link:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets.asp

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=9783

·
Registered
1,200 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I take some photos of the install. No access to a lift. Floor jack and some jackstands is going to have to do the trick.

Again, assuming the parts come in and all the planets are in alignment, plan to do the install on this Wednesday.

TD

Any suggestions on which brand of torque wrench to buy? My old one has long since dried up , fell apart while trying to adjust, and is out of calibration (plus it was a cheapo to begin with).

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I take some photos of the install. No access to a lift. Floor jack and some jackstands is going to have to do the trick.

Again, assuming the parts come in and all the planets are in alignment, plan to do the install on this Wednesday.

TD

Any suggestions on which brand of torque wrench to buy? My old one has long since dried up , fell apart while trying to adjust, and is out of calibration (plus it was a cheapo to begin with).
I use Craftsman myself and have them calibrated every couple of years .

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

TD

Don't think it matters much which brand of torque wrench. I have Snap-On, but they are very expensive. Craftsman, Mac, Matco are all ok as well. I'd avoid any brand that starts with Wal....

Dave

·
Registered
142 Posts
Are they coming out with a different FRPP shifter ??? A Shelby one??? Is this the same shifter in the Super Snake and the KR?? or is that going to be the new one?? And if it's the new one does anyone know what the difference will be?? I am ready to pull the trigger on the the FRPP shifter but want to make sure that the new one is not a better one...Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts