Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got off the phone with Blackcad55 who was making sure I was still mentally stable after having succumbed to not having a Shelbyfest 2020 to attend last May! After catching up a bit, Greg came up with an absolutely fantastic plan B for Shelbyfest 2021. As we know all too well, the COVID 19 has devastated so many people's lives in this country and effected all of us to varying degrees. We all hope that by spring-time next year, a vaccine will have already been on the market for several months and this virus will be a thing of the past. If that happens, then there is a strong likelihood that Shelbyfest 2021 will be back on the schedule and we can look forward to getting together again.
If un-predictable circumstances occur, and Kyle Caraway (founder) is not able to re-establish the car show and activities during that first week-end in May, then Greg suggested we hold our own mini-Shelbyfest at the Capitol Plaza Hotel in Jefferson City, Missouri!! I certainly would assume the hotel would be open for guests by that time. I thought, "What a great idea!" There are approximately 25 of us that have been attending over the past years and what's to prevent us from deciding on a date that works for everyone, make our reservations for a three or four day stay, drive our Shelbys, and get together for a splendid time of laughter and fun. I would set up reservations at the Stone Hill Winery in Hermann for our Fun-Run luncheon! During the rest of the time we could all just hang out together, go to dinner downtown, have drinks, and do the same things we have done in the past! I'm all in for that plan if Shelbyfest doesn't come to fruition! What do you all think??

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,542 Posts
Mike, I sure can’t say if I could be there or not, but I’ll throw out another idea to ponder. If SF21 doesn’t happen, there’s nothing predisposing you to have everyone meet in J-city. I never made it to Herman, but I understand the lodging there doesn’t allow for everyone to stay in the same motel. So what about a different location around there that can house everyone while offering a little better accommodations than the CP, and at the same time or forum’s “local yocals” may have other places that offer some events or site seeing festivities that give the clan something to do together on top of the Fun Run and sitting around visiting. Just my 2 cents brother. I can afford to lose 2 cents if you don’t like my idea. 😊

·
Premium Member
2020 GT500 Twister Orange
118 Posts
As long as there is no snow anywhere on the route from Phoenix, AZ to wherever it is, I'm down! (y) 🇺🇲

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
As long as there is no snow anywhere on the route from Phoenix, AZ to wherever it is, I'm down! (y) 🇺🇲
Ha ha. That’s a wildcard! In my 2019 SF drive from Idaho I ran into snow that made me stop overnight in Nebraska because they closed the freeway! I thought the new, improved, expensive GT500 was made for ALL weather conditions! 😉

Reactions: 03reptile

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike, I sure can’t say if I could be there or not, but I’ll throw out another idea to ponder. If SF21 doesn’t happen, there’s nothing predisposing you to have everyone meet in J-city. I never made it to Herman, but I understand the lodging there doesn’t allow for everyone to stay in the same motel. So what about a different location around there that can house everyone while offering a little better accommodations than the CP, and at the same time or forum’s “local yocals” may have other places that offer some events or site seeing festivities that give the clan something to do together on top of the Fun Run and sitting around visiting. Just my 2 cents brother. I can afford to lose 2 cents if you don’t like my idea. 😊
Michael, I'm completely in agreement. We could possibly stay in Hermann, but as you said just not sure if there is a hotel/Motel large enough to accommodate 25 or 30 folks not to mention the wives that come along for the shopping! We could certainly entertain other venues in the area of Jefferson city to accommodate our numbers. I really hope this doesn't happen and Shelbyfest returns, but we need to have an alternative plan in place.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
33,002 Posts
The wife and I will be there... whether it is the official Shelby Fest or our own gathering.

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
I would recommend another location altogether. Let’s see some new sights and rotate it.
1. Northern Michigan Traverse City has great scenery and driving roads.
2. Sturgis SD Mustang Festival
3. Galena, IL very nice resort and town, great driving roads
4. south Haven MI
5. Ken’s place in Arizona.
6. pacific coast highway for an epic journey
7. Florida run down to the keys
8. Montana for some high speed runs
9. TableRock lake in Branson MO - stay at Big Cedar Lodge
10. smokey Mountains tail of the dragon

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
I would recommend another location altogether. Let’s see some new sights and rotate it.
1. Northern Michigan Traverse City has great scenery and driving roads.
2. Sturgis SD Mustang Festival
3. Galena, IL very nice resort and town, great driving roads
4. south Haven MI
5. Ken’s place in Arizona.
6. pacific coast highway for an epic journey
7. Florida run down to the keys
8. Montana for some high speed runs
9. TableRock lake in Branson MO - stay at Big Cedar Lodge
10. smokey Mountains tail of the dragon
I like your list Sean, but for the sake of all members, I think some kind of central location would be better for all. From a selfish standpoint, I’d dig Ken’s place, Sturgis Mustang rally, and Montana.

·
Premium Member
2020 GT500 Twister Orange
118 Posts
I like your list Sean, but for the sake of all members, I think some kind of central location would be better for all. From a selfish standpoint, I’d dig Ken’s place, Sturgis Mustang rally, and Montana.
I know I'm basically the FNG and I'm bias because I live in AZ but if "Ken's place" is in Sedona I give that option (y) (y) , for what it's worth. Everyone needs to see Sedona at least once in their life.

HOWEVER, to be fair to everyone, can't get any more "central" than Lebanon, Kansas. lol sounds AWESOME! Will meet you guys at this sign. :p

·
Premium Member
4,422 Posts
I’m all for our own event.
If SF 2021 is on, hopefully the CP will continue with renovations with the State still operational.
Tag’s suggestion, Big Cedar could be great! Plenty to do, great accommodations and views. Another option, the other group that was part of the SF operation has their own gathering called Midwest Blue Oval Club. They have an event at Hermann and a few others including Eureka Springs AR. This year’s Eureka Springs event was suppose to be a national MCA show, for those that are into that.
There is always the Midwest event at Tulsa. It is a massive show that includes track events.

Reactions: 'cause

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
I’m all for our own event.
If SF 2021 is on, hopefully the CP will continue with renovations with the State still operational.
Tag’s suggestion, Big Cedar could be great! Plenty to do, great accommodations and views. Another option, the other group that was part of the SF operation has their own gathering called Midwest Blue Oval Club. They have an event at Hermann and a few others including Eureka Springs AK. This year’s Eureka Springs event was suppose to be a national MCA show, for those that are into that.
There is always the Midwest event at Tulsa. It is a massive show that includes track events.
Eureka Springs, Alaska! Yeah baby! A group drive up the Alcan!

·
Premium Member
2008 Metalic Vista Blue Convertible
5,776 Posts
Arizona would be absolutely great at that time of the year. Our roads are probably 90% Better than most regions roads , we do not have horrid winters of road wrecking weather!.
And I wouldn't be making my typical 1500+ mile drive straight through every year.
There are about ten wineries within ten miles of home here, some nice mountain roads within five miles, Look up Jerome Az, a great along a river twisty drive along Oak Creek Canyon, More great resruants than a person could visit in ten years, more shopping than any of your wives could go through in weeks, Red rock scenery second to none, this area is in the middle of 1.8 Million acres of National Parks, just GOOGLE Sedona and things to do, have you ever gone for a Hot Air Ballon ride, amazing, Look that one up, how about a scenic train ride/dinner, only five miles from our door, several sponsered off road optons from jeep to RAZOR rentals on some awsome trails, try to find a location that has all this and more 10-15 miles from your front door. Want a river or a park with three lakes to fish in, all about 3-4 miles from the front door. I haven't even mentioned some of the most beautiful sunrises and sunsets you'll experience.
Find a better all inclusive Alternative location and I will be there.
Oh, did I mention a little thing like the Grand Canyon, a nice quick drive away, or a quiant town where donkeys roam the streets, or a ghost Gold Mine with a couple hundred classic and inerestng cars. All within a short drive. Ever want to "Stand On The Corner In Winslow Arizona", very doable. Or see one of the largest Metior Craters in the US ? Got it here! You may even may want to stay for more than 2-3 days.

Or, I would be open to 'other' Options.

RLTW

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,417 Posts
I'd have to weight the distance, but I'd probably go for it.

·
Premium Member
2008 Metalic Vista Blue Convertible
5,776 Posts
If wanting to stay in the Mo. Vicinity, check out Springfield !
Several things to do in that area, also the Ozarks, lots to do there and some nice scenery to drive through.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 DIB/Satin Black TP/PP
271 Posts
AZ sounds good to me. I'm also partial to the PCH drive from SD to SF, that would make for an interesting event only downside there is CA is expensive. Premium gas in SoCal is 3.09 on the cheap side and only goes up the farther north you go. Sturgis would be pretty bad ass too. Im gonna go out on a limb and say mustang rally is cancelled, but that doesnt mean we cant do the first Shelby rally in sturgis. The San Antonio/Austin area is pretty nice too. Canyon Lake in that area is beautiful and theres plenty of nice drives in the hill county. Plus theres the river walk/the Alamo in San Antonio and South Austin is a world all to itself. Also.... gas is relatively inexpensive in TX. Lol!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
33,002 Posts
Lots of good ideas, but I’ll also lobby for a central location. Once you pick a location that isn’t centralized, you’ll have less members attending due to distance. If Jefferson City isn’t preferred, then I recommend picking a place somewhere in the middle-ish of the US.

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
Agree Tim. CA would be a no-go for me. Been there enough, and no desire to go again. Plus members like Mike @03reptile would have to drive all the way across the country from Maryland. That’s a lot to expect of Sharon and him along with others on the East coast.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 DIB/Satin Black TP/PP
271 Posts
I'm not opposed to a centralized location, just spitballing ideas. Jefferson City is at least 1800 miles from us west coast members, maybe more in some instances. Maybe more in the Kansas area if were getting centralized for distance. I dont know anything about the Jefferson City location and would definitely consider making the drive as long as the wife is ok with it.

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
I'm not opposed to a centralized location, just spitballing ideas. Jefferson City is at least 1800 miles from us west coast members, maybe more in some instances. Maybe more in the Kansas area if were getting centralized for distance. I dont know anything about the Jefferson City location and would definitely consider making the drive as long as the wife is ok with it.
Yes, it is a long drive for some of us. I didn’t go until last year, and as luck would have it, I picked a very wet year to go. Of course prior to 2017 I lived in Kodiak, Alaska, which made driving to SF a bit unrealistic. I won’t go every year, and some times I might fly there instead of driving there. Next time I drive there I hope to bring my wife too, but she still works and six days of driving on top of the 3 or 4 days in JC is a bit much to take off work. We have grandkids and family to visit throughout the year too. Ken @‘cause is the trooper in that drives his car there every year.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts